AnyDVD 6.0.3.1 released

They could read this thread and know at least 3 titles they can tell the customers. :bigsmile:
But what difference does it make? On Monday there might be 10 more titles in the shops with this new kind of protection… Who knows?
Italy is one of the “Arccos test countries”, they probably already have 10 titles in the shelves with this new protection. :wink:
(Does anybody know of an Italian dvd mail order place that ships to Antigua? With an english website? I want amazon.it !!!) :slight_smile:

Thank you Slysoft for the information you provided. I understand your concern about posting the specific titles. From my experience doing tech support for friends and family, it is always amazing how many people complain that “X software is broken” without ever bothering to check to see if an update is available. I’m a bit surprised that AnyDVD owners would fall into this category though. I would have thought that the people who backup their DVDs have greater technical ability and knowledge than the average computer user, and thus would know to upgrade before complaining of unexpected behavior or software errors.

@Slysoft

I originally saw the article about Sony considering abandoning ArCoSS on CDFreak’s news section. Here’s the link: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13181

The CDFreaks article links to Forbes, which I would imagine is a pretty reliable source. Here’s the Forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/2006/03/10/macrovision-ripguard-0310markets08.html?partner=yahootix

The pertinent line in the Forbes article is, “In addition, Munster noted that Sony appears to have ceased using its own ARccOS DVD security technology in February [2006].”

Slysoft@

You mentioned that ArCoSS was a stronger method of copy protection than RipGuard. Isn’t RipGuard pretty much worthless? Both DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink can remove it. They say in their online literature that “RipGuard DVD blocks 97% of rippers used in the wild” but I’m not sure what they’re referring to because DVD Decrypter is probably the most popular ripper and it’s circumvented RipGuard for over a year.

ArCoSS is clearly more effective than RipGuard or any other DVD copy protection available as it can be changed constantly to break rippers. However, I think this need to constantly alter the protection and to implement it on their new DVDs is costing more than its worth as it’s still not stopping those determined to backup their DVDs and its certainly not stopping piracy.

I also haven’t seen a single RipGuard protected disk yet so I either have gotten lucky or ArCoSS is currently being used on more titles.

http://www.macrovision.com/products/activereach_dvd/ripguard/index.shtml

i don’t think ripguard has even been around for over a year.

i’m pretty sure dvd decrypter cannot remove ripguard since ripguard was implemented after dvd decrypter ceased development.

@reasonnotrules

Ah, you’re probably right about DVD Decrypter and RipGuard. DVDShrink 3.5.4.0 does have an option to “Remove macrovision protection”. I assumed this referred to Ripguard but I may have been wrong.

macrovision are the makers of ripguard, but macrovision itself refers to a different type of protection scheme.

i just some quick research and it seems that Madagascar in November of last year was the first ripguarded title actually released which makes ripguard about 8 months old…and we’ve been able to crack it for roughly 7 months 3 weeks and 4 days thanks to anydvd :slight_smile:

(i remember it took anydvd a LOT longer than usual to come up with a fix for this one whivh was why i assumed it took them 3 whole days to come out with an update for us…geez slowpokes :p)

I did some research on Wikipedia and found that the Macrovision protection referred to in DVD Shrink was part of the original DVD standard and has therefore been around since 1997. It’s not designed to stop the creation of a digital rip of a DVD. Instead, like its VHS predecessor, it’s meant analog copies to another media (I’m assuming VHS). Wikipedia states that,

“Macrovision inserts pulses into this non-displayed area. These signals cause the automatic gain control on the recording VCR to compensate for the varying strength. This makes the recorded picture wildly change brightness, rendering it unwatchable. On most televisions, the viewer on the screen sees no effect in ordinary playback of the protected video because the signal is outside the visible area, but some TVs do not properly blank the vertical retrace and leave dotted white lines near the top of the picture. Some newer TVs also mistake the Macrovision pulses for synchronization pulses.”

Now that VHS is a deprecated technology, and a 1:1 digital rip is easy to produce, this copy protection is all but useless. The fact that Slysoft was able to break RipGuard in 3 days is a testament to inadequacy of copy protection on physical media.

I would bet that Slysoft prefers to think of it as a testament to their 1337 s|<illz

errr or something…

Nice info and yes that is correct but I will have to lean towards James and reasonsnotrules when it comes to DVD protection(s). Also since you stated such info why the sarcasm and bashing towards slysoft engineers?

@Dr. Who and reasonnotrules:

I think you have misinterpreted my comments. I have a great deal of respect for the Slysoft developers and I love AnyDVD. I’m sure it takes a great deal of skill to constantly keep up with new copy protection schemes. Slysoft’s response time is simply incredible.

My comment that, “The fact that Slysoft was able to break RipGuard in 3 days is a testament to inadequacy of copy protection on physical media.” was in no way meant to disparage to work that Slysoft has put into AnyDVD. I was merely making a point that all copy protection methods on physical media have been quickly broken and have failed to achieve their stated purpose- the prevention of piracy. They merely make it more difficult for legitimate users to make backups of their legally purchased software/movies/music without preventing pirates from making bit for bit copies.

When I made that comment I was thinking about the AACS copy protection used on HD-DVD and Bluray disks which I’m quite sure will be broken if these formats become more popular.

@ Dr. Who:

What made you think I was bashing Slysoft’s engineers? I was actually bashing copy protection.

Ok sorry for the misunderstanding on your post too. You have to admit looking or reading it from the other end felt like this. Thanks for clarifying it.

no worries jasonwc. i was just joking and wanted an excuse to type “1337 s|<illz” and “slysoft” in the same sentence :wink:

I’m glad we got that sorted out. Like everyone else on this forum, I’m thankful for the work that Slysoft has put into AnyDVD. Thanks to AnyDVD, I don’t have to worry about ArCoSS or Ripguard. It works transparently and perfectly every time :).

This is how rumours are born:

Analysts… “Appears to” … maybe, but what are the reasons? All speculation:

“It could be positive (for Macrovision) if Sony has made a decision that its ARccOS technology is ineffective and is now looking for a different technology to replace ARccOS. It could be a negative sign, if Sony has decided that anti-ripping technologies, in general, are not worth the cost and effort.”

… could, would … :doh:

Nevertheless, I have seen many new releases with Arccos from all over the world since February 2006. So much for “analysts” opinions. :bigsmile:

Sony is a market leader in protection (Securom), I doubt that they suddenly abandon this business branch: http://www.sonydadc.com/

No, Madagascar could be copied with AnyDVD & elby CloneDVD2 since the day it was released if I remember correctly. The later fix was for other copy programs.
Reason for this was, that I accidently cracked RipGuard without knowing it:

5.4.1.1, 2005 08 01

• New: Added support for a new protection as found on
    "Vet Hard" R2 (Netherlands) to the option to remove
    "Protection based on unreadable Sectors"

This “new protection” mentioned in the changelog was RipGuard. New protections are often field tested on “small titles” in “small countries” (markets), so if it doesn’t work, the damage isn’t so big. :wink:

Remember the first Arccos protected discs? Classic Wrestling shows (Hulk Hogen vs. Andrew the giant) R2, UK.

Anybody knows a good italian DVD mail order place? In Italy a lot of new protections are tested.

I think the big companies are mainly trying to prevent routine backing-up
especially from rental and friend loans and especially dvd to dvd.
99% of dvd users would not be able to backup a dvd.
I based this on the fact that of all the people I know and all know how to use computers, hardly one or 2 can backup and then give up easily when faced with a new or hard protection scheme.
I do not tell them about anydvd etc except to few very close friends as I do not want them to know my doings.
Remember most people cannot even program the timers in ther equipment, let alone use sophisticated programs to back up.
Sony and the others are content with that.

More details here about Sony copy protections:

http://www.sonydadc.com/products.copy.go

why would you not tell them about anydvd? it’s a very simple program and would help them out a lot!