Anybody know use these CD-R discs? Identified as princo

vbimport

Bought in a funny looking spindle of 100 discs - totally noname without any coating.

Serial number near the center hole: P1115229791001
Close to the DYE layer:R8-DQD

CD-R Identifier 1.63:
ATIP: 97m 27s 28f
Disc Manufacturer: Princo Co.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Lite-On identifier for 40X Lite-On:
This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 27s 28f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Princo
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 40X

The disc is identified as phthalocyanine/short strategy but the DYE definitively looks like Cyanine disc. Dark blue/green color.

Wrote a disc at 40X with an LTR-48125W with vs02 firmware. Only good results.....

Others with experience with this strange(short strategy but cyanine look or Cyanine with short strategy ATIP) type of disc?

This is a little sidetrack, but the Lite-On identifier is either a little comfortable, or Memorex have customized the ATIP for these discs, that are manufactured by Ritek
So this means you can’t trust the Lite-On identifier 100%…

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanin
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 16s 06fe
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Memorex Black
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 24X

OC-Freak: Princo discs use a very odd dye that’s a hybrid between cyanine and phthalocyanine and requires a short strategy for burning even though it looks blue.

It has great sun-resistance (at least the coated Princos I tested), have never failed me and burned perfectly at whatever speed I tested, and seem to be generally the most compatible CDR I’ve ever used. Those tend to read on everything, even some players that won’t accept any other disc. They also accept higher burning speeds than they’re rated for, and I’ve never seen bad burns on Princo media.

The only bad point about them is, as you said, most unbrandeds have an absolutely horrible coating or no coating at all.

Princo 650 12x - 24x
ATIP start of lead in: -02:32:47 (sector: -11447)
ATIP start of lead out: 74:50:01 (sector: 336751)
Manufacturer code: 97 27 28 - Princo Corporation (Type: 8)
Reference speed: -
Minimum recording speed: -
Maximum recording speed: -
Unrestriced use: No
Disc type: Not Rewritable
Disc subtype: 0
Target writing power: 7

Yours is a standard princo, i always knows that they are crap discs and they last early in general. i have some of them (not burned on my own), so only time can tell… the only thing that is done is they have a Target writing power equal to 7 (!!) so they need lots of power to be burned… better not to buy them i think :wink:

I got some new Vivastar today and they are weird like your Princo but the other way around. These look like Phthalocyanine (very bright goldish), but are identified as Cyanine…
They are good anyway.

More sidetracks,
the Lite-ON identifier is maybe a bit too extensive :), as it gave me three possible makers of an old Ricoh CDRW I have. It suggested it could be Ricoh, CRW (never heard of) or Maxwell…
Since it was branded Ricoh I assume it is a Ricoh.

I remember the old Hp cdrs by ricoh wich are cyanine but they looks like a fhotalocyanine, strange but good quality :wink:

Can u post the atip of those new Vivastar?
I have 100 pieces of vivastar cyanine (not burned yet), but I don’t like them because of their t. writing power :frowning:
I think i’ll sale them.

Vivastar 700 24x
ATIP start of lead in: -02:34:35 (sector: -11585)
ATIP start of lead out: 79:59:74 (sector: 359999)
Manufacturer code: 97 25 40 - Vivastar AG (Type: 0)
Disc type: Not Rewritable
Target writing power: 6

ATIP info from disk - Read by Feurio 1.65
Recorder: LITE-ON - LTR-32123S
ATIP start of lead in: -02:34:35 (sector: -11585)
ATIP start of lead out: 79:59:74 (sector: 359999)
Manufacturer code: 97 25 40 - Vivastar AG (Type: 0)
Disc type: Not Rewriteable
Target writing power: 6
Power multiplication factor:-
Target y value: -
Erase/writer power ratio: -

Seems to be the same disc were talking about. I think they look like phthalo’s, don’t you… :slight_smile:

These are some of the only CD-Rs that will play in the Sony DVD players that are “non CD-R compatible”. These are some of the best CD-Rs that you will ever have as far as accurate burning and being able to read back in EVERYTHING you play them in. STOCK UP cause these things come and go.

Funny that their CD-R are said to be that good… DVD-R media from both Princo and Vivastar are crap, crap, crap…

@Airhead: Vivastar probably changed dyes without changing the stamper… Cyanine and p-cyanine have same ATIP… A cyanine ATIP, which was their “original” disc type.

@Alexnoe: Probably because the smaller companies tend to make horrible media in the beginning (Remember, DVD is still a “new” technology) and tend to improve as time goes on, that’s what happened with many companies in the beginning of the CD era.

I think you are right Fallen. Lazy of them… :slight_smile:
And to compu44, yes they are good, and they better be when they cost as much as they do! :slight_smile:

Umm, mine are absolutely the cyanine ones, so photalocyanine are better? Where to find them @ low price in europe?

Azomaniac: Probably in the same places you bought your cyanine ones. It appears that they converted their existing production lines to phthalocyanine, since they haven’t even changed the stamper.