Anybody install BenQ 1620 on a secondary IDE Card?

vbimport

Folks,

Inside my PC, both my primary and secondary cards are fully occupied. So I bought an additional Promise technology IDE card and installed it on a empty PCI slot. I plan to install my new BenQ 1620 drive as primary master on the new IDE card. Has anyone done this and did you encounter any problems?

Or better, is it better to unhook my CD-RW drive from the onboard secondary master and install the BenQ in its place?

Thanks.

I would not be using any optical drives on a PCI slot IDE card. Use your motherboard’s IDE channels for your optical drives. You could connect any hard drives you have to the Promise card. But, keep all of your CD and DVD burners on your motherboard’s IDE connectors. There can be problems using PCI slot IDE cards with optical burners. Even though Promise and other companies say their PCI slot IDE add on cards work with optical drives, they usually give problems. That’s my advice to you if you want to avoid headaches. :slight_smile:

I agree with Socrates007. At the very least, having an optical drive on an add-in card (not motherboard) will typically cause you grief trying to flash it. The fix is to usually (temporarily) hook it up to the motherboard IDE to flash…that can be a pain!

I agree with the previous warnings. I tried hooking up my 1620 to a Promise ATA/133 card and it did not work properly. If I recall the problem was extremely low write performance (like below 1X). I don’t recall if I ever tried a BIOS flash while it was hooked to the Promise. I switched the drive over to a motherboard IDE controller (Intel ICH5R chip) and it has been flawless ever since. I actually ended up upgrading my hard drive to an SATA model so I could free up an IDE channel (I was planning to upgrade it anyway so going SATA was only a very small additional cost).

Now, the SATA adaptors do work correctly. Of course, you should upgrade hard drives first. But, you could switch over completely to SATA if you wanted to. SO, while your buying an upgrade card, make it a SATA and get some of those nifty converter blocks for your IDE drives. :wink: That way, you’ll be ready for the future.

. . .or just unhook that CDRW drive and save a ton of cash and time. :wink:

I had a similar problem, except it was a double whammy. On my Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE controller my DW1620 could only burn at 3X, and firmware flashing took several minutes. On onboard IDE (VIA KT266A chipset, VT8233A south bridge), it could not burn at all, nor could it be flashed. Finally I figured out that it was because I was using the VIA IDE miniport driver which is now obsolete (though you can’t tell by reading VIA’s page)… switching to the Microsoft VIA IDE driver fixed the problem.

That makes it sound easy… in reality there was much anguish and futile tech-support calling and web searching involved before I discovered the solution. The BenQ techs were utterly clueless (“You can burn a disc on 20 minutes? That’s fast!”). I came close to returning my DW1620. Web searching eventually showed me why my Promise card wasn’t right for the job. But I had to figure out the driver switch on my own. Hopefully this thread will show up in somebody else’s search and save them some anguish.

Look Here
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=90930

Promise controllers are no good for for optical drives tho very good for h/drives
for optical drives these are ok
Cards based on silicon image chipset
Cards based ITE chipset

as already suggested get the Promise controller card and hook up your hard drives to them…then you can use the motherboard IDE channels for optical drives…i have my pc’s set up with all hard drives connected to either the controller card & i have sata hds and external enclosures with hds.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs