Anybody else having problems with AVAST

vbimport

After seeing some recommendations for AVAST here, I downloaded AVAST personal edition, onto my Windows XP box. Last night, I noticed that everything was hanging up on my pc. No matter what I tried to do, it would just lock up. Finally, I decided to close down AVAST (just for giggles), and all my problems went away… This is a 3.4ghz pc with 2gb of memory… Anybody else had problems???

I’m dual booting Vista 32 and Vista 64…one side I use the free edition and the other I use the six month freebie you gave us the heads up on…not problems on either side for me, but I’ll double check when I get home to make certain.

Yo Rob-

I am using Avira AntiVir Personal Free AntiVirus which is rated by many sites as the very best free antivirus currently out and available here:

I’ve been using it for the past 6 months and it is extremely good-eh!!

My eyes are playing tricks on me…I was thinking Avira as that is what I use. I used Avast before Avira and can agree with Mike, much better IMHO.

I tried Avast before, but I got very slow internet connection with it. AVG Free is the one I use now.

im running Avast 4 Home. have been for years. ( have tried others just to go back to avast. ) i dont notice any negative performace related to avast running. also have zonealarm free running.

( i have [B]FAH[/B] turned [B]off[/B] for the task manager screen shots. )

internet: 8000 down and 512 up

processor: AMD Athlon 2400+ 2 GHz

memory: 1.5 GB Kingston PC2700

Sorry… This should have said problems with AVIRA PE… It is AVIRA PE that is giving me the problems. I will have to uninstall and reinstall it and see if that fixes things…

Hehe, Avast, Avira, AVG… I use all three free versions on one computer or other (not for myself :disagree:) and haven’t had this kind of problem with either.

Avast: running ~2 years on XP, only negative is that you need to re-register each year (and have to merge the two! system tray icons).
Avira: <1 year on XP, annoying nag screen (can be circumvented) and often very slow to make connection with update server.
AVG: ~1 year on XP and Vista, trouble-free. Advertises itself in your e-mails by default, which is kind of nifty.

How do you do that Cressida?

My eyes are playing tricks on me…I was thinking Avira as that is what I use. I used Avast before Avira…

Sorry… This should have said problems with AVIRA PE… It is AVIRA PE that is giving me the problems.

LOCOENG must have ESP… :stuck_out_tongue:

I know…got confused myself :doh:

[QUOTE=LOCOENG;2067885]How do you do that Cressida?[/QUOTE]

I found this out here on the board, thanks to platinumsword (look towards the end of the thread): http://club.cdfreaks.com/f3/how-stable-clean-install-xp-sp3-245203/ :slight_smile:

Windows Vista Home Premium

1. Go to C:\Program Files(Avira)\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
  2. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security->
  3. Under the group or username SYSTEM click edit
  4. Put a checkmark under the DENY column for “read and execute”

Thanks for the link Cressida.

I was running Avast Ver.4.8 Home on my antique PII with 333 processor and 416 Ram and it ran great … Now have it on my new system with Vista home premium and it runs fine there too… Dunno what the conflict could be?

Have used Norton, AVG, Panda and Mc Affee… and this one seems to be strong and runs with little interference compared to the bigger programs out there.

I often see unpleasant feedback on AVAST.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2067777]Sorry… This should have said problems with AVIRA PE… It is AVIRA PE that is giving me the problems. I will have to uninstall and reinstall it and see if that fixes things…[/QUOTE]
Commonly known as AntiVir.
It gets high marks for effectiveness, but the nagging pop-ups and slow updates (free version) are a turn-off.
I wouldn’t try to fix it, I would just dump it and try Avast!.. A good freebie combo is Avast! and Comodo.
With Avast! I have everything turned off but the basic “provider” .
No nags and it updates quickly.
Comodo is a very good, free firewall that plays well with Avast!