Any way to tell mfr before buying?

I’m getting a little frustrated. Is there a way to check where a spindle was manufactured before actually ordering? I’d hate to order online or drive an hour to get a spindle only to see it was made in Taiwan. I’m looking for TY, TDK or Maxell made in Japan 100 spindles for good prices…

:sad:

CDR or DVDR, and where do you live?

US. Looking mainly for CD-R atm. I want top quality and longevity so at this point I’m thinking about the 100 spindle TYs for $28 at several sites.

My only concern tho (as a few others have mentioned) is the durability of the ‘blank’ unlabeled silver top TYs. I’ve seen a thread that says a needle can easily tear up the top plastic coating (whereas it would be harder for a branded/labeled CD-R). Also, I fear that a black marker would make it slightly less readable, at least in the long run.

Should I just be looking for Fuji’s or whatever ‘made in Japan’ at local stores for higher prices?

:confused:

There’s no difference between the bulk silver and any other. The printable discs have an extra later of paint on them, but I really doubt that ads anything to durability.

Thx for the replies rd.

So it seems rather apparent, if I want top quality CD media at the lowest possible price…go for these silver top TYs $28 per 100?

(ie branded TYs would normally cost more?) I feel like I shouldn’t even bother checking out local stores, I read in one thread that all CD-Rs someone checked at bestbuy were ‘made in taiwan’.