Any way to remove unwanted chapters?

vbimport

I have a 5 DVD set entitled “Slapstick Encyclopedia”.

I wanted to create a DVD of some selected shorts from these 5 discs.

Unfortunately, each DVD is broken up into two titles (eg. Volume 1 and Volume 2) and each title contains about seven or eight shorts (each short is one Chapter).

Is there any way (via Customize) to extract just the Chapters I desire from each of the Titles?

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2120584]I have a 5 DVD set entitled “Slapstick Encyclopedia”.

I wanted to create a DVD of some selected shorts from these 5 discs.

Unfortunately, each DVD is broken up into two titles (eg. Volume 1 and Volume 2) and each title contains about seven or eight shorts (each short is one Chapter).

Is there any way (via Customize) to extract just the Chapters I desire from each of the Titles?[/QUOTE]

captainvideoyou can by using customize mode :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2120643]captainvideoyou can by using customize mode :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

StormJumper:

I read all the documentation on the Customize mode and could not find any info on how to remove chapters. I will need to remove all but one or two chapters from the title.

Could you please give me a brief explanation as to how this is done. Thanks.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2120657]StormJumper:

I read all the documentation on the Customize mode and could not find any info on how to remove chapters. I will need to remove all but one or two chapters from the title.

Could you please give me a brief explanation as to how this is done. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have never used customize mode yet, but it is my understanding that you can select each chapter or chapters you want to keep.
If I’m not mistaken there is a guide on this …put together by signals(Paul)

You can use Customize to extract certain chapters that you want, but only if they are adjacent, i.e. 4 and 5, 6 through 8 etc. If they are not adjacent, you can extract them one at a time to a HDD folder and use Merge mode to put the extracted chapters back together (but with no menus).

Thanks Paul for stepping in on this issue I knew customize was the way but thats all, I will be doing some backup using custom mode but when I have time.
anyway thanks again :clap:

No problem! I just thought of this: I have never tried it, but you can use Customize Split mode to do this twice as fast if the titles are not adjacent. Instead of ripping one at a time, put the title that has some of the chapters on disc 1 AND disc 2 (using the checkmarks for each disc). You can then use the title begin/end controls to set a chapter for disc one and a chapter for disc 2. Here is an example of extracting chapter 3 and chapter 5 at the same time (they will be Titles in folders that you can put back together with Merge):

Right on Paul
Thanks for the tip, have saved your post so I don’t forget :cool:

Good! I will ask you where it is when I forget, lol. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=signals;2120741]You can use Customize to extract certain chapters that you want, but only if they are adjacent, i.e. 4 and 5, 6 through 8 etc. If they are not adjacent, you can extract them one at a time to a HDD folder and use Merge mode to put the extracted chapters back together (but with no menus).[/QUOTE]

Signals & StormJumper:

Thanks for all your help. I figured out what to do and I was able to pick out four separate chapters from Slapstick Encyclopedia (from three separate DVDs) and create four folders, one for each of the chapters.

I may add another one or two tomorrow since I still have some room left for a DVD-5.

One thing to note: if two chapters from the same title are not continuous, you must write the 2nd chapter to a different folder. Otherwise, the 1st one will be overwritten.

[quote=captainvideo;2120851]Signals & StormJumper:

One thing to note: if two chapters from the same title are not continuous, you must write the 2nd chapter to a different folder. Otherwise, the 1st one will be overwritten.[/quote]This is what Customize Split does for you automatically (post#7). Glad you got it working.

[QUOTE=signals;2120818]Good! I will ask you where it is when I forget, lol. :)[/QUOTE]

On my computer in a folder in my documents call Signals links with good tips :bigsmile:

LOL, I will never be able to remember that, but if you do, we are golden. :cool:

[QUOTE=signals;2120956]LOL, I will never be able to remember that, but if you do, we are golden. :cool:[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=signals;2120888]This is what Customize Split does for you automatically (post#7). Glad you got it working.[/QUOTE]

One other question concerning Merge: What happens if all my merge titles will not fit 100% on a SL DVD? Will it apply compression?

Yes, it will just like all the other DVD processing modes except Clone and Split.

[QUOTE=signals;2121171]Yes, it will just like all the other DVD processing modes except Clone and Split.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info.

Everything worked fine last night.

I used “Customize” to copy the selected chapters I wanted from Slapstick Encyclopedia.

Then I used “Merge” and created a DVD+RW. I watched part of it afterwards and am happy with the results.

Note: I always use DVD+RWs the 1st time I try something so as not to waste a write-once DVD in case things do not work right.

Glad it worked for you. :slight_smile:

As my good friend and fellow member said glad you got your chapters you wanted, hope to see you around the forum.
Have a nice day :flower: