Any way to check dvd for defects before using Fab?

More than once on this forum the answer to those who’ve had a problem copying a disc has been that the disc might be defective.

So, is there an easy way to check a disc? I’ve had discs that my kids have TRASHED, that look like crap, but that copy just fine. Other times, discs that look just fine have turned out to have defects and did not copy well. Will Nero ‘CD-DVD Speed’ do the job, or does that just check for surface irregularities?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=rosariorose9;2406862]More than once on this forum the answer to those who’ve had a problem copying a disc has been that the disc might be defective.

So, is there an easy way to check a disc? I’ve had discs that my kids have TRASHED, that look like crap, but that copy just fine. Other times, discs that look just fine have turned out to have defects and did not copy well. Will Nero ‘CD-DVD Speed’ do the job, or does that just check for surface irregularities?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Scan the disc’s with Nero CD/DVD speed which will tell you if there are any bad sectors :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=rosariorose9;2406862]More than once on this forum the answer to those who’ve had a problem copying a disc has been that the disc might be defective.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

CD-DVD Speed is quite comprehensive and certainly up to the task.
A word about “non-decrypted” discs. Nero will not give you an accurate picture unless you run an on-the-fly decrypter such as the red fox…or open the disc in up a software player such as PowerDVD, but don’t play it. This will enable nero to accurately “read” the disc.

Here’s an outstanding guide for cd-dvd speed, courtesy of our very own freak, geno888:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/cd-dvd-speed-user-guide-192563/

im assuming that you mean you wish to scan a blank disk before you burn anything onto it rather than after. im not sure if nero would scan a blank disk or not. would be nice if it does. that way id know to trash a disk before wasting my time burning it

Nexperia Benq drives could to this with Qsuite :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=pythonis;2407396]im assuming that you mean you wish to scan a blank disk before you burn anything onto it rather than after. im not sure if nero would scan a blank disk or not. would be nice if it does. that way id know to trash a disk before wasting my time burning it[/QUOTE]

No, I don’t believe the OP is referring to scanning blank discs as he stated

[QUOTE=rosariorose9;2406862]…
I’ve had discs that my kids have TRASHED, that look like crap, but that copy just fine. Other times, discs that look just fine have turned out to have defects and did not copy well…[/QUOTE]

I cannot remember with any accuracy the last “bad” blank media I’ve had.
I think my last bad burn was last year with a verbie +R 16X (MCC 004).
It may not even have been a bad disc…probably more like operator error…:wink:
No big deal, it cost me less than $0.20.

Why would you even try to scan every blank disc prior to burning?
(and you’re correct, cd-dvd speed won’t “scan” a blank disc).
Boy, you must have a lot of time on your hands to even entertain this.
To each his own I guess.
Purchase some quality media like verbatim or Taiyo Yuden and there’s no need

[QUOTE=mciahel;2407424]Nexperia Benq drives could to this with Qsuite :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]
Thanks Michael, I had forgotten all about Benq drives and QSuite.
To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever tried…:wink:

[QUOTE=maineman;2407439]Thanks Michael, I had forgotten all about Benq drives and QSuite.
To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever tried…;)[/QUOTE]

I use QSuite :slight_smile: it lets me know the best write speed for the blank I’ll be burning on :bigsmile:

If you are asking about scanning the original DVD for read errors or bad spots, you can also use DVDInfoPro or VSO Inspector, but PathPlayer will usually find them. You will either get a popup box, crash or timeout, depending on the nature and placement of the bad spot and how PathPlayer deals with it.

And u can try to read it with http://www.oemailrecovery.com/cd_recovery.html sometimes it can read defective dvd’s even if it takes a very long time depending on how bad it is.