Any valid reasons to upgrade to Nero 8?

Hello,

I had purchased Nero 7 Premium sometime back.

Now, that Nero 8 is out for sometime is it justified to purchase an upgrade to Nero 8?

I’ve seen the Nero website for what’s new and other stuff which basically markets the HD (BD/HDDVD) and other features like Streaming and stuff which I won’t be using.

I want to know if they are any usability or real improvements in the following Apps:

Nero Burning ROM
Nero ShowTime
Nero Recode
Nero Vision

Thank you in Advance.

No improvements, That why I use Roxio 10.

I hear Roxio products are crap OR were they crap and now good?

I have Roxio 9 OEM that was preinstalled on my Dell notebook. This software is a recommendation to buy Nero or anything else but Roxio. Even Nero Essentials OEM has more options.

My opinion: Stick with your Nero 7.

OK. Thanks very much. :flower:

I think I’ll stick with Nero 7 Premium for now. :iagree:

As a matter of fact in Nero 7 you can use your Nero Show Time to play back your DVD while in Nero 8 you it won’t work unless you buy “Decoder” Plug-Ins to get it to work.

[QUOTE=TCAS;2045305]As a matter of fact in Nero 7 you can use your Nero Show Time to play back your DVD while in Nero 8 you it won’t work unless you buy “Decoder” Plug-Ins to get it to work.[/QUOTE]
LOL. That’s infact a downgrade :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you very much for that tip :flower:

I don’t intended to downgrade (read upgrade) anytime soon :wink:

[QUOTE=TCAS;2045305]As a matter of fact in Nero 7 you can use your Nero Show Time to play back your DVD while in Nero 8 you it won’t work unless you buy “Decoder” Plug-Ins to get it to work.[/QUOTE]

I never bought a plug in and my 8 plays dvd’s???

Just my tuppence worth: I’d pick Nero 8 over Nero 7 any day of the week.

Just seems to be nicer to use, and with a few less bugs then Nero 7 had at the same “age”.

The activation thing for some portions may not be to some people’s tastes, but I can live with it.

In fact, I have Nero 8 on this PC, Nero 7 on the other…and I’d probably spring for another Nero 8 for the other PC, but I use this one more anyway.

About the DVD playback thing…really doesn’t affect me as I prefer VLC for any DVD playback anyway. In fact I don’t think I’ve tried playing back a DVD with my Nero 8. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2045430]Just my tuppence worth: I’d pick Nero 8 over Nero 7 any day of the week.

Just seems to be nicer to use, and with a few less bugs then Nero 7 had at the same “age”.

The activation thing for some portions may not be to some people’s tastes, but I can live with it.

In fact, I have Nero 8 on this PC, Nero 7 on the other…and I’d probably spring for another Nero 8 for the other PC, but I use this one more anyway.

About the DVD playback thing…really doesn’t affect me as I prefer VLC for any DVD playback anyway. In fact I don’t think I’ve tried playing back a DVD with my Nero 8. :)[/QUOTE]
Hi Arachne!

Thanks for your comments. :flower:

Activations - I hate them.

U mean UI of ver 8 is better than ver 7?

I use Nero Showtime a lot as it plays back any type of file I throw at it, so it’s a concern for me.

BTW, is Nero 8 lighter on System Resources than ver 7 or is it same or is it more bloated?

The UI is definitely better, but for some reason I actually enjoy using Nero 8 (I know that sounds odd), whereas with Nero 7 it was more of a chore, but a necessary evil LOL :wink:

Sytsem resource wise, I haven’t noticed any more bloatedness than with Nero 7…only thing that does bug me slightly is a slight loading delay with some of the components, but then I’m an impatient person by nature :bigsmile:

I think a few versions back when hdds were smaller, the size of Neros program got a bad rap as being bloated, but now with the larger hdds, my sons new laptop came with a 160gbs hdd, and desktop hdds being so large and cheap, the bloat in Nero is not so important anymore. In most systems a few hundred mbs make no difference. Just my take.:cool:

Nero 8 played DVD movies just fine but the plug-in for HiDef is needed to play Blu-ray and HD-DVD providing you have the drive also.

Thanks for that Info all of you :flower:

After reformatting last night (losing my computer operation to hackers) I went back to Nero 7.10.1.0 and decided Nero 8 not worth the head ache.

IMHO nero 8 doesn’t have a lot more than nero 7. It has a lot of bloat to it, but if your smart about installing you’d choose to do a custom setup and take out the programs you’d never use.
I took out nero home, nero soundtrax, nero media center, nero photosnap, and nero backitup.

The only limitation is that it doesn’t come with the Blu-ray/HD dvd plugi. You have to purchase that separately, but again I don’t need it.

You do however have to activate the dvd plugin patent. If you aren’t restricted by your router or firewall you would have never noticed this. If you are blocked nero will tell you that you need to activate the patent within 30 days. Usually turning off your firewall temporarily or opening port 81 will allow you do activate the patent.

Nero 8 looks pretty, Vision has a lot more menu options, but everything you can do in 7 can also be done in 8.

[QUOTE=neotype;2049739]IMHO nero 8 doesn’t have a lot more than nero 7. It has a lot of bloat to it, but if your smart about installing you’d choose to do a custom setup and take out the programs you’d never use.
I took out nero home, nero soundtrax, nero media center, nero photosnap, and nero backitup.

The only limitation is that it doesn’t come with the Blu-ray/HD dvd plugi. You have to purchase that separately, but again I don’t need it.

You do however have to activate the dvd plugin patent. If you aren’t restricted by your router or firewall you would have never noticed this. If you are blocked nero will tell you that you need to activate the patent within 30 days. Usually turning off your firewall temporarily or opening port 81 will allow you do activate the patent.

Nero 8 looks pretty, Vision has a lot more menu options, but everything you can do in 7 can also be done in 8.[/QUOTE]
Gr8. Thx.

I always do a Custom install but, I’ve never found out how to block the installation of Nero Scout (their Desktop Search). It’s a pain in the Ass. :angry:

In tool box select nero scout. Just un-check " enable nero scout".

You can also disable it as a startup service by going to Start and selectin Run. Type in MSCONFIG. This opens the system configuration utility. Click the startup tab and you can see what programs start when windows loads. I think you can find nero scout in there and disable it by unchecking the box next to it.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2049797]In tool box select nero scout. Just un-check " enable nero scout".[/QUOTE]
I have did that. But, that is a question of enabling and disabling.

I don’t want it installed in the first place :angry: