Any tricks for burning DL media?

First off, not a DVD newb, but my question is. I’ve burned many .iso’s on SL verbs using nero’s discspeed… Now I finally want to try DL media for the 1st time (and see that Verbs are recommended here), but don’t want to do anything wrong as the media costs a lot more. The file is already in .iso form so do I just burn it like a SL disc?

I shouldn’t have to worry about the discs’ layer break?

I have three burners: Lite-On on LH-20A1s, BenQ DW1640, and Lite-On SHW-160P6S. The LH model seems to do best for SL. Are any of these particularly special when it comes to DL discs?

Thanks in advance. Also I have other programs for burning, but discspeed works best for SL, so if there’s any other programs particularly good then please recommend them.

FriendOf

Use ImgBurn for DL burns, as it will handle the layer break as well or better than any other burning program. It is free to download and use.

If you have the slower speed MKM001 Verbatim +R DL media (2.4x -6x rated speed), then I’d use the 1640 for this burn. Burn at 4x.

I’d recommend that you use [B]Img [/B]to burn the .ISO file and yes you will have to choose the layer break.
Not to worry, Img will prompt you and populate LB locations. They are color-coded in terms of excellent to average, but all should work ok. You can preview the LB location if you like.

Here’s a link:

http://www.imgburn.com/

The exception to this is if the.ISO file already contains an .MDS file (LB location). This would be the case if you created the file with Img in read/build mode.

Your LH-20A1S will do a great job with the MKM 001 verbs, ie., 2.4-4X.
This burner, with firmware 9L08, is one of my work horses and does a great job with this media…best at 4X.
The Benq should work ok too…I have a 1655, but I find that the older firmware does a better job and I only burn DLs at 2.4X on the rare occasion that I use the Benq.

//Edit
Hey Kerry…didn’t see you there…
Typing at my usual “turtle” speed.
I believe you suffer from the “old fart” syndrome as well…:stuck_out_tongue:

:bigsmile: As you can see, you’ll get lots of opinions around here, not all of them the same. I don’t like burning MKM001 slower than 4x personally, as all my tests showed better results at 4x…this was with a BenQ 1620 which is even older than your 1640.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2231802]:bigsmile: As you can see, you’ll get lots of opinions around here, not all of them the same. I don’t like burning MKM001 slower than 4x personally, as all my tests showed better results at 4x…this was with a BenQ 1620 which is even older than your 1640.[/QUOTE]

I’m glad you mentioned this Kerry.
I found that the 1655 burns on MKM 001 at 4X or higher were inconsistent, given the available firmware at the time I was tinkering with the Benqs.
I’m using an older firmware…BCDB that won’t support higher than 2.4X burning for this media. I haven’t messed with the Benqs in quite a while since I don’t really use 'em for DLs.
Good to hear the 1620 does well at 4X

Thanks Kerry and Maineman. I do have imgburn so I’ll try that. Also I do have the .mds files as well. I am going to OM now to hopefully buy some discs, and I think they have the 2.4X kind. I’ve got 3 discs to burn, so I will at least try the LH-20A1S and the BenQ. If a burn goes bad I’ll post scan.

BTW, my LH-20A1S has 9L09 firmware and the BenQ has BSLB if this changes anything.

Thanks again,

FriendOf

Although ImgBurn will do it for you, with a slight reprimand if you choose the ISO file instead of the MDS file for burning, you should choose the MDS file.

So far so good with DiscSpeed @ 4x on the LH-20A1S.
Scanned great; seems to play great.
BenQ is next.

BenQ @ 8X. More errors; less failures.

Both of those are good burns on DL media FriendOf. You’ll be fine using either drive with those results.