Any Totally reliable CD-R media, Please? (my GQ disks skip!)

vbimport

A while back I bought a bulk order of GQ 700MB/80min 32x CD-R disks and some of them are “stuttering” when burned wav files are played on CD players.

I need a brand that does NOT do that to play at clubs and for valued friends at their parties(that are priced well too).

Can someone PLEASE recommend a totally reliable CD-R that are relatively well priced(I use aLOT of them)? This has been VERY embarrassing!

Thank you

NO cd is totally reliable. some of the best are Verbatium. i NEVER had a problem with them ever but you can always get the odd bad disc with ANY company. Generally the more expensive the CD-R the better the quality. Sometimes skipping can be caused by burning ‘too fast’ you could try to slow down your burning speed to see if that helps

I agree there’s certainly no 100% reliable CDR.

Verbs are very good, give them a try and for audio burn 1-4X don’t go over 4.

Thanks guys,
I had suspected it was the discount GQ brand, but wasn’t sure.

I’ve been burning these 32x disks at 16. What do you mean 1-4x? Are you saying even though I was to buy 32x disks, burn at 4x ?

AND where can I get the best price for those better brands of disks, Please?

Originally posted by daddySEAL

AND where can I get the best price for those better brands of disks, Please?
Right here

Yeah with PCM DATA (Audio) 4x is much better, I’ve gotten skips and errors at 16X.

It is hardware dependant, some burners have no problems at any speed but from my experince the best is at 1-4X; with CDDA the slower the better.

Is there any C1/C2 scans proving that the error rate is different for audio and data ? It seems impossible, there is no physical difference.

Originally posted by Pio2001

Is there any C1/C2 scans proving that the error rate is different for audio and data ?
'coz both are data anyway.

Thanks, BoSkin

Are Taiyo Yuden as good and dependable as Verbatium?

Thanks, BoSkin

Are Taiyo Yuden as good and dependable as Verbatium?
You’re welcome, daddySEAL !

I’d deeply advise you to pay a visit @ [COLOR=blue]CD-R(W) Media tests and come to your own conclusions.

Make sure if any of the mentioned there media can beat Taiyo Yuden in quality,
like e.g. this one :

Btw, this is Verbatim Pastel made by Taiyo Yuden.
So, Verbatim is just a brand, it can be made by TY, or Mitsubishi itself, or CMC.

Have a nice time ! [/COLOR] :smiley:

Is there any C1/C2 scans proving that the error rate is different for audio and data ? It seems impossible, there is no physical difference.

Data has an extra set of error correction bits, thus if there are errors they can handle it better.

PCM data does not, it is simply RAW Audio.

So there is a difference between Yellowbook and Redbook, this is also why Redbook can’t be protected and errors are much more noticeable.

Yes, both are DATA but the way they are written is ‘completely’ different. One was made to stream and the other to store files in the ISO format.

Saying there is NO differnce because they are both “data” is like saying there is no differnce between NTFS and FAT because they are both file systems.

So Redbook can’t handle errors as well as Yellowbook plain and simple. So you burn a Yellowbook and Redbook at 24X and both get XXX ammount of errors, Yellowbook you don’t notice but Redbook you do in certain players because it lacks that extra set or error correction bits. The whole format isn’t as good as people think it is :slight_smile:

I hope that clears this up and makes some sense to you.

Wow, guys!..you’ve got this Newbie’s brain pretty confused…hehe.

You guys are lightyears ahead of me in your knowledge. I have no idea what Yellowbook and Redbook are all about. Could you explain, please?

And BoSkin, that link was WAY too technical for me, my helpful friend. Could you simplify what you/it are telling me about Taiyo Yuden CDs, Please? I’m thinking you are saying they are just about the best, right?

And will the printable CDs Taiyo Yuden sell work in CD printers(as you directed me to the TDK printer in my other post?..and other brands of CD printers?)

Please forgive me, guys…I’m very new at all this, but want to get good CDs that won’t give me any of the trouble I’ve had as the GQ(“Great Quality”, or so the manufactor calls them) CDs have started giving me.

Thank you

I’m thinking you are saying they are just about the best, right?

Will the printable CDs they sell work in CD printers ?

Yes, TY are simply the best, in other words. :wink:

Any printable CDRs should work in those CD/DVD printers. That’s the whole point with it.
For more info you can e.g. contact [COLOR=blue]Rima.com and find out more about the printable Taiyo Yuden they sell.[/COLOR]

thank you again, my helpful friend.

OK, Taiyo Yuden CDs are what I’ll buy.

And that Rima link shows a CD printer that doesn’t require special printable CDs to print on for $99 US dollars, which sounds great. I however noticed that it(as with the TDK printer)only prints in black, silver, red and blue colors.

Is there a reasonably priced printer that prints in all the colors of a rainbow(as in color photographs)?

OK, Taiyo Yuden CDs are what I’ll buy.

Is there a reasonably priced printer that prints in all the colors of a rainbow (as in color photographs)?
Right decision ! Hopefully you won’t regret it and …blame me afterwards.

I keep on jumping between the 2 threads. :bigsmile:
Have just posted the Google search on multi-color CD printers there.

thank you, friend.

The RIMA price is really good. I’m sure I will be happy with them. I read they invented writable CD media and have great pride in their quality control on their CDs.

Thank you very much!
(I’ll just be sure not to buy 1,000 of them on the 1st purchase…hehe)

I appreciate ALL your knowledgable help(on both posts…Sorry to make you hop around between them, friend)

I just now ordered 100 from RIMA. Cool! Thanks again!

Originally posted by audiocopy
Data has an extra set of error correction bits, thus if there are errors they can handle it better.

Yes, but you said

Originally posted by audiocopy
with CDDA the slower the better.

Tests have shown that this is not true for data, why would it be true for audio ?

Some tests : http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69698

Tests have shown that this is not true for data, why would it be true for audio ?

Really this is a bit controversial, some people say faster is better and others say slower and the reason is the Hardware. Some burners actually do better at faster speeds, but my experince is most don’t. Only you know for sure by what works for you.

My original reply in this forum was to address this issue, his Hardware sounded like it was burning too fast; now your Plexwriter 52X may not have this problem.

So it isn’t black and white.

Personally I do Redbook at 4X and Yellowbook at 16X that works for me.

Please explain what Redbook and Yellowbook are?

There are a lot of different books, and you can spend hours reading up on them.

Redbook: This is a normal Audio CD.

This is the original CD format. This is the format Audio uses (doesn’t include mixed modes, hybrids or any other format).

It is 1 session, written in DAO and is CDDA.

YellowBook: This is what most of your PC CDs are in DATA format.

DATA MODE1 ISO format, going to be your games, apps etc. 99% of PC CDs will use this.

That’s about it for those two.

The CDR FAQ is a good place to read up on all formats and in good deatil. http://www.cdrfaq.org/