Any top EXTERNAL drives for 2008?

vbimport

Or are they all included in the sticky up above?

I’d really like to see a seperate category for them, if possible…

Thanks.

There really aren’t that many good external drives, unless they’re external versions of the internal drives already thought to be superior. So no, you’re not really going to get much feedback on external drives explicitly. Most people who need an external drive simply take an internal drive and put it into a good enclosure. External drives cost too much and don’t give you any good choices, so fewer people even bother with them.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me

Any suggestions on those? Plextor doesn’t seem to make any good ones of those anymore.

What are the top choices on those? There are so many different combos out there that all I’ve heard are problems with those. I’d be willing to consider doing that if I knew where to begin.

I’ve used a Plextor 708UF for the last few years and I’ve never had any problem as far as choices with it was concerned, so I’m not quite sure what you mean.

Respectfully,
b8375629

I use a couple of external drives, but the drives I use are a little hard to get hold of now: an LG GSA-E10N (retail external drive), and a Pioneer 115D inside an enclosure.

If I were buying a new external drive now, I would consider an LG E60N/L or a Samsung SE-204 :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2136096]…If I were buying a new external drive now, I would consider an LG E60N/L or a [B]Samsung SE-204[/B] :)[/QUOTE]:iagree:
Count me in as well.
Bought the SE-204 for my GF a few months ago and she really gets good burns from it. :wink:

Also remember; your lappy must be able to keep up with the speed, okay most recent lappy’s do, but just in case, (like sometimes on windoze Vista crap OS cosuming all memory/burst power)…

[QUOTE=negritude;2134964]There really aren’t that many good external drives, unless they’re external versions of the internal drives already thought to be superior. So no, you’re not really going to get much feedback on external drives explicitly. Most people who need an external drive simply take an internal drive and put it into a good enclosure. External drives cost too much and don’t give you any good choices, so fewer people even bother with them.[/QUOTE]
How do you feel about a Benq 1650, I bidding on one?

[quote=Arachne;2136096]I use a couple of external drives, but the drives I use are a little hard to get hold of now: an LG GSA-E10N (retail external drive), and a Pioneer 115D inside an enclosure.

If I were buying a new external drive now, I would consider an LG E60N/L or a Samsung SE-204 :)[/quote]
Thanks. I haven’t been able to find the SE-204. :frowning:

I did find SE-S164L, the SE-S184M, the SE-W164L and the SE-W164C at Samsung’s website, but no SE-204

[B]http://tinyurl.com/4zrzmx

[/B]

Seems like an outdated list. Look here instead.

I bought a SE204 recently and I don’t regret it.
Strangely, I got a 204N with LightScribe although the homepage claims that only the S204S offers LightScribe.

[quote=me7;2136281]Seems like an outdated list. Look here instead.

I bought a SE204 recently and I don’t regret it.
Strangely, I got a 204N with LightScribe although the homepage claims that only the S204S offers LightScribe.[/quote]

Hey thanks for the page although it’s dated 2007.

Does this (or any of the) Samsung drive(s) have a power switch on the back?

Thanks…

The S204 has no power switch, don’t know the about others though.

I don’t believe the LG E60N/L has one either, which would be a bummer since I would have to reach around and unplug it from the back all the time.

:frowning:

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2136154]How do you feel about a Benq 1650, I bidding on one?[/QUOTE]

That’s not an external drive.

[QUOTE=b8375629;2137529]I don’t believe the LG E60N/L has one either, which would be a bummer since I would have to reach around and unplug it from the back all the time.

:([/QUOTE]

My E10N has no power switch either. I just leave it plugged in and powered on when I use this PC (from the time I get up to when I go to bed) - I’ve had the drive quite some time now and leaving it powered has done it no harm :wink:

However, my external enclosure (which houses an internal Pioneer 115D, as mentioned), does have a power switch - so maybe an enclosure with an internal drive slipped inside would be the best option for you.

I think the demand for external drives will grow in the coming months, because of the enormous success of drive-less netbooks.

That’s the reason I’m shopping for one. I’ve always selected my internal drives with great care, so I’m a bit apprehensive, especially considering the disappointing quality of the newer SATA drives.

I can find Arachne’s recommendations for the LG drive, and the 224 version of the Samsung drive, but what about the Plextor PX-810UF DVD-RW 18x? I used to be a big Plextor fan, and still have a few incredible cd drives from them.

I’m a bit weary of sticking a drive in an external enclosure myself, because of all the reports about “bad chipsets” I keep reading.

[QUOTE=DeKoning!;2138908]I think the demand for external drives will grow in the coming months, because of the enormous success of drive-less netbooks.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but I guess most users of a Netbook also have a real PC.

[QUOTE=DeKoning!;2138908]That’s the reason I’m shopping for one. I’ve always selected my internal drives with great care, so I’m a bit apprehensive, especially considering the disappointing quality of the newer SATA drives.[/QUOTE]
My Samsung SH-S203N and my Pioneed DVR-215/215D are good drives for me, and what I read the NEC 7200S is also a good drive.

[QUOTE=DeKoning!;2138908]I can find Arachne’s recommendations for the LG drive, and the 224 version of the Samsung drive, but what about the Plextor PX-810UF DVD-RW 18x? I used to be a big Plextor fan, and still have a few incredible cd drives from them.[/QUOTE]
I’m not a LG fan. The drive I have had only less firmware updates (two in the complete product cycle). Plextor does not make own drives anymore since 2007 anymore. The real Plextors are great drives. For me the rebadged drives are not worth the money.

[QUOTE=DeKoning!;2138908]I’m a bit weary of sticking a drive in an external enclosure myself, because of all the reports about “bad chipsets” I keep reading.[/QUOTE]
I agree there are compatibility problems between specific drives and the bridge chipsets. For example I had problems with my Plextor Premium II CD burner and the Prolific PL-3507C.
For this reason I have 3 different bridgebord types for my MAP-H51 enclosures (GLE811/OX911, GLE811/OX911Plus, Prolific PL3507C).

For my SH-S203N and DVR-215 I “pimped” an MAP-H51 enclosure with a SATA capable bridgeboard with USB/FW/eSATA interface based on OX924 chip.

I’ve been using the Lite-On LH-20A1HX with TYG03 media, and have been pleased with the results, when using it with my laptop.

I just bought a Samsung SE-S204S…I’ll let you know how well it works with my laptop. I should be getting it Monday. I should mention that my laptop is less than a year old.

[QUOTE=negritude;2138601]That’s not an external drive.[/QUOTE]
My mistake, Benq Dw 1655

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2139532]My mistake, Benq Dw 1655[/QUOTE]

Sigh. My 1655 just crapped out today; tray won’t open anymore, only using the emergency open thingie. :sad:

I’m leaning towards a Samsung now, good price and hopefully good burns.

@TM, of course I also have a ‘real’ pc, next to my netbook, but it’s often very convenient to have a dvd drive connected to the netbook to transfer data that is already on a disc - so you don’t have to copy it onto the real pc, and send it over the network.

If I had to pick between an LG external drive, and the 224x Sammy, I would pick the LG - having read the CDF review of the internal 22x Sammy (thread in our Samsung forum), the drive is nowhere near as good as the 20x ones.

If you can pick up a Sammy 204 from somewhere though, I’d definitely jump on it :wink:

Regarding chipsets in external enclosures - the chipset in the one I use isn’t very good (ALi), but having said that I get lovely 8x burns from it, whatever the drive inside. I don’t tend to burn above 8-12x anyway for quality reasons.

I’ve had my Samsung S204N for about 4-5 months now and I’ve done lots of burns with it. I’m now starting to see more and more bad burns that fail verification.

I’d say that my burn rate is close to 40% failure with DVD DL discs. I don’t normally burn SL discs so I can’t comment on the failure rate accurately. The S204N does not have a power switch so you’ll have to unplug it or just leave it on…