I bought a LITE-ON LDW-411S External USB 2.0 DVDRW/CDRW combo drive but it takes too long to burn a DVD-R (5 hrs estimate based on simulation in NERO Burning ROM).
Originally with the DLA feature enabled, it took forever to copy files over onto a formatted DVD-R disc. As an example, transferring a file size of 280 MB takes 30 minutes. Then after applying the Make Compatible feature, the DVD-R is not readable by my laptop CD/DVD drive (corrupt data or something) but it can be read by the LITE-ON drive.
I couldn't use the LITE-ON drive to burn in NERO, so I disabled the DLA feature. Now I'm able to burn CD-R using NERO but it takes about half an hour. For DVD-R it won't work, I attempted a simulation but I think it would take around 4 - 5 hrs to complete.
Things I've tried from reading this forum:
i. Updated ASPI to Version 4.60 (1021) using ForceASPI 1.7
ii. Increased the disk cache in NERO to the max. 80 MB (File->Preference->Cache->80 MB)
iii. Defragged C: Drive
I noticed the LED of the 411S drive is mostly amber and blinking red every second or so which I've read indicates that the 411S is going into buffer underrun (hence the fluctuation of Buffer Levels of 29% - 45% for DVD-R), where the computer isn't able to feed data to the drive fast enough.
What else can I do to fix this problem? Has anyone else had a similar problem before and found a solution? I'm pretty much out of ideas what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated
C: Drive: 20 GB (50% Free, defragmented)
CPU: 00 - 03
Mem Usage: 89,692 K
Physical Memory (K)
System Cache: 211992
(DVD-R) 29% - 45%
(CD-R) 32% - 88%
Fluctuates up and down in approx. 10% increments
Pentium III - 1 GHz
512 MB SD-RAM
i. 20 GB Fujitsu MHN2200AT (4200 rpm)
ii. External Firewire/USB 2.0 Smartdisk CrossFire 120 GB (7200 rpm)
Adaptec USB2Connect Notebook AUA-1420A USB 2.0 Cardbus
(USB) Adaptec AUA-1420A Cardbus USB Enhanced Host Controller
(PCMCIA) 02Micro OZ6933 Cardbus Controller
Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 1
Ahead NERO Burning ROM 18.104.22.168
Just now I sent a message to LITE-ON via their online form Technical Enquiries. Originally I tried to submit the message via Error Report but it returned a 500 Internal Server Error. Thank god I had saved a copy of the message in Notepad (Lesson learned long ago and good habit!).
This is pretty much my last option to get this situation resolved. I hope somebody out there knows how to fix this problem. I'm grateful this forum exists but unfortunately I have had no success as of yet. I can only hope someone reading these forums knows of a solution or the LITE-ON tech support will email me with a solution.
My friend has already told me I shouldn't bother with LITE-ON anymore, return the product and buy another brand. His brother uses Pikaone. To be more specific PC World in Search paste: 788190
I originally bought the LITE-ON product from Amazon.co.uk and they have a 30-day returns policy. The deadline I have is May 5 so unfortunately I'll only have about 1 week to solve the problem before I either return the item or stay stuck with it.