Any SSD failures?

vbimport

Since SSDs have now been out a few years, has anyone experienced a failure due to write/rewrite wearout? Has anyone used an SSD for anything other than the OS? For example, using one to reduce transcoding times for video? If so, any wearout problems? Thank you.

I’ve had a Kingston 64GB SSD develop corrupt sectors even though it was only used for office work. Even after forcibly remapping the bad sectors to spare sectors, the drive just kept corrupting more sectors. So I had to replace the drive with an Intel drive.

In my current laptop I speed up some video coding/muxing/tagging tasks by using the SSD for temporary storage.

I own about 20 SSDs and never had one wear out due to write cycles. I have had one just go dead on me, but that was an old SSD I had since 2010. SATAII. All my SATA III from 32nm to 19nm are doing just fine. I am not saying it cant happen but IMHO they are so much better than spinners I could never go back.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2674791]… but that was an old SSD I had since 2010. SATAII.[/QUOTE] You consider an SSD from 2010 to be old?! :eek:

Are you buying SSDs as write-once media? :bigsmile:

I have owned and installed on laptops and Desktops probably 40 since they first came out and I have never had one fail yet.

The only thing I will buy other than an SSD is a Hard
drive for my media server and that is set to raid 5 one goes out I am safe and replace it, other than that I have no use for the old spinning Hard drives.:smiley:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2674798]You consider an SSD from 2010 to be old?! :eek:

Are you buying SSDs as write-once media? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Yes any SSD Sata 11 made in 2010 is old technology. :bigsmile: