Any reviews of the Plextor PX-B940SA 12x BD-R drive?

vbimport

Since I’m having difficulty getting the new 12x Pioneer BDR-205 in the UK, I’m on the verge of getting the Plextor PX-B940SA instead. However, I can’t find one review that goes into any detail like the MyCE review did for the BDR-205.

Also, I’m led to believe this drive is a rebadged Pioneer 205.

So, does anyone know of any indepth review for the PX-B940SA and is it really a Pioneer BDR-205 in disguise? I would also like to see a list of speeds the f/w will burn BD-R media at too if anyone who has the drive knows!!

Edit
*Check out the full Plextor PX-B940SA Blu ray writer review here: http://www.myce.com/review/plextor-px-b940sa-blu-ray-writer-review-27681/

I’m pretty confident its a Pioneer BDR-205 clone. The videohelp website says its a Pioneer, the bezel is identical with the BDR-205 one (with the exception of the printed Plextor logo of course) and since there aren’t many other 12x BD-R/RW drives out there … that would I guess make it a Pioneer :wink:

Anyway, I could just not wait another 4/5 weeks for the BDR-205 to eventually arrive in the UK so I’ve ordered a PX-B940SA two days ago before the VAT went back to 17.5% … and the drive its on its way to me …

I bought mine from: http://store.cbccomputers.com/products.asp?partno=PX-B940SA and it costed me £183.89 + free standard delivery … The new price is £189.33 and there is only one left in stock! :bigsmile:

You can also buy it on eBay at £189.89 …

Once it arrives and I have the chance to burn some BD-Rs I’ll post some more info and scans.

Aw stuff it! I just ordered one from the same place as you, hope I got the last one!!!

Now to find some BD-R’s, saw some Verbs @ TotalBlankMedia for just under £4 a disc, not too bad is it?

Not really shopped for BD-R’s, saw some Datawrite and RiDisc 4x BD-R’s in tubs of 10 @ SVP for about £23 each, not sure if those are any good or not?

Also need a BD-RE for testing, might just go for a Verb there :slight_smile:

Now I need a good guide on ripping Blu-Ray Movies :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Web-Junkie;2481173]Aw stuff it! I just ordered one from the same place as you, hope I got the last one!!!

Now to find some BD-R’s, saw some Verbs @ TotalBlankMedia for just under £4 a disc, not too bad is it?

Not really shopped for BD-R’s, saw some Datawrite and RiDisc 4x BD-R’s in tubs of 10 @ SVP for about £23 each, not sure if those are any good or not?

Also need a BD-RE for testing, might just go for a Verb there :slight_smile:

Now I need a good guide on ripping Blu-Ray Movies :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Verbatims are the best, but a bit on the expensive side too.

The TDK’s are also very good and quite a bit cheaper. I would definitely give those a try! Panasonics are also OK, but I found the TDK’s to be better.

I’d stay away from datawrite, ridisc/ridata and ritek discs in general…

Yeah, I thought Datawrite/RiDisc seemed to be too cheap, will stick to Verbs/TDK’s then.

My only gripe now is most BD-R’s in tubs are Printable, and I don’t have a printer to print on CD/DVD/BD-R :a So why are they more widely sold than branded??

Where’s the best place to buy those Verbs/TDK, can’t seem to find anyone with stock of branded discs :doh:

Seems cbc were being a bit economical with the truth when it comes to their stock levels, so they’ve cancelled the order and refunded me, the bstrds!!!

Had a quick look around and nobody seems to have this drive in stock anymore, so back to square one. I’m just going to forget buying anything Blu Ray for now as nobody seems to stock what you want and the media is even harder to find at reasonable prices, at least in the UK that is!!

[QUOTE=Web-Junkie;2481856]Seems cbc were being a bit economical with the truth when it comes to their stock levels, so they’ve cancelled the order and refunded me, the bstrds!!!

Had a quick look around and nobody seems to have this drive in stock anymore, so back to square one. I’m just going to forget buying anything Blu Ray for now as nobody seems to stock what you want and the media is even harder to find at reasonable prices, at least in the UK that is!![/QUOTE]

That’s not nice at all! :frowning: You can still (just about) find it in stock in the £200-210 price range:

I know, but not paying over the odds for something that’s not really got anything ‘extra’, the bundled software I don’t need anyway so might as well wait until the OEM Pioneer starts trickling into the country, it’s £50 cheaper and I could buy some decent media with the money saved!

http://www.povdirect.co.uk/Inu_products/INU_ProdDetailsL21.asp?ref=07782500

@ £182.91 inc VAT, ETA 1 week they say …

Dee wrote a review on the Plextor PX-B940SA BD-R Drive just last week: check out the full Plextor PX-B940SA Blu ray writer review here:

Thanks for the pointer BussyB, I did buy the Plex in the end and am pleased Dee gave it such a good review :slight_smile:

Only problem I have is sourcing ‘reasonably’ priced BD-R Media. I struck lucky once on amazon, they had 2 x 5packs of Inteso BD-R’s (CMCMAGBA3) for £11.98 with free delivery but have had none at this price since :frowning: