Any recommendations for media to play in my car MP3 player?

I’m having problems with MP3s playing in my 2006 Mustang’s CD/MP3 player.

when I first got the car my Plasmon CDRs would play, and now they won’t unless there is only a root directory on the CDR. Memorex (manufactured by CMC) won’t play at all (it has 1 level of folders on the CDR)…

I have read some forums on this, so I do know that the TY media is good, as is Verbatim, however, I just wondered if there is anything specific I can do to get media to play in my car?

Should I burn MP3s TAO, DAO, low speed, high speed, et cetera…

Is this issue due to my car’s MP3 player (which is made by Delphi, and I’ve heard a lot of bad things about their product’s compatability with MP3s), or is this a media issue? For what it’s worth, the player will play just about any brand of CDR if it is in Redbook (regular audio CD) format, it just hates CDRs with MP3s on them. Thanx in advance.

Sounds to me like an issue with the manner in which you are burning the discs in conjunction with the player rather than an issue of the media itself. Plasmon CD-Rs are pretty awful, so if you are getting those to work with the proper settings… It is certainly possible that the player does not support folders for one thing, as many MP3 players do not. With many MP3 players, you will need to burn all of your files in the root folder of the disc, as in no folders at all.

For burn speeds I would not burn overly slow (below maybe 12x) unless you have an older, slower burner. Newer media and burners are best at middle of the road burn speeds, 16-32x would probably be a good range to try.

The MP3 player handles folders, but no more than 1 level of folders (as per owner’s manual). It originally worked intermittently with my Plasmons (with 1 level of folders), but now it barely ever works with them.

Thanx for your reply.

Also note that some MP3 players play CDs burnt at very high speeds. I had a Sony MP3 player which refused to play anything burnt above 24x.

For media, use TY or Verbatim.

Ritek is one of the best for the car environment, but player compatability is a separate issue. Suggest you buy a few of 3 types and try them.

1: Ritek (Maxell usually is Ritek) Pthalocyanine
2: Verbatim DataLifePlus or “Digital Vinyl CDR”, or both. (These are 2 different types of AZO)
3: TY (Fuji made in Japan or anything made in Japan) cyanine You can also try some of the Fuji “all-purpose” music discs, (made in Japan), they are a slightly different type of Cyanine.

One of these 3(4) types of discs might prove to be best. You might also try a CDRW disc, just for fun.

If none of these types work reliably, then you have a dodgy player. Try cleaning it, or replace it.

Audio CD’s should be written as DAO, aka session closed & disc closed.

Car CD players have piss poor reading capability, so poor reflectivity will manifest itself worst in these players.
I’d recommend in this order:

1. Taiyo Yuden
  2. Any cheap phalocynine (clear/gold/light coloured) discs.

I can’t in all honesty recommend the Verb DLP, or Digital Vinyls. These are great quality disks, but poor reflectivity.

These are not audio CD’s.

Low reflectivity is exacly what some finicky players want, you never know till you try.

Apologies, that was phrased badly.

Audio CD’s or MP3 (data) cdr’s intended for car audio/mp3 players are usually best with a high reflectivity.

I second what rdgrimes said – try one of each of the disc types he mentioned, and you’ll get an idea of your player’s “preferences”.

Thanks for the advice guys. One more question. If I do go and buy these different types of media, what are the chances that the store (I’ll probably go to Best Buy) will take them back if I burn one out of the stack and I want to return them?

Best Buy sucks with returns, at least every time I’ve tried. I have to bitch and yell to get anywhere, total hassle.
Try Staples, Walmart or Target. Easy with the returns IME.

-Evan-