Any recommendations for free download managers?

Hi
I’m looking to get a download manager to hopefully speed up downloads a bit, enable restarting downloads where errors/network connects fail, scheduling downloads from pay sites etc.
Something relatively simple to use and free is preferable.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Give this a read: http://lifehacker.com/5045093/five-best-download-managers

Of the download managers listed in the link Whappo provided above, I have been using Free Download Manager for about 5 months now and can recommend it.
The interface is easy to understand, the included help file covers most of the options, and it works great. Scheduling downloads and resuming stopped downloads(if the server supports) are supported by FDM. You didn’t mention your operating system, but I don’t think Vista 64-bit is supported.

Hi
I am using windows XP sp3.
I will give the Free Download Manager a go. Out of interest is there anyway I can install it so only my user (I’m administrator) uses/see’s it? My partner, who has a separate window logon, hates change and if she tries to download something and is confronted by anything other than the normal IE download window she will freak!

I like Wackget its free and very simple, has like no cpu hunger at all

I honestly don’t remember if the FDM installer gives the choice of installing only for Administrator or installing for all users.
Watch for that option during the install.
Quote:

…hates change and if she tries to download something and is confronted by anything other than the normal IE download window she will freak!

Your partner seems to think that IE is utter perfection.

What browser are [B]you[/B] using?
FDM works great with Firefox.
If your not using Firefox, you might want to consider it.
Then I think you can configure FDM to work with Firefox only, leaving IE to its built-in downloader and your partner won’t “see” it as an option.