Any Recommendations for BluRay Drive to read bad BD-R?

I have a 3 year old LG WH14SN40 and new Pioneer BDR-209D that I got this week. I think the LG is dying and I know I need to replace it. I thought Pioneer was high quality but it has problems reading discs as well and I have had burns fail. The discs I am trying to read are mostly Ridata LTH and Verbatim LTH, Verbatim HTL discs are good except for 3 of them that are also having problems being read. I figured if I can find a good drive that can read LTH discs well I should have no problems with dying HTL media as well. Any recommendations?

First recommendation, don’t use LTH discs. I’m not very surprised that the Pioneer doesn’t read them. My Pioneer Blu ray drive is a relatively poor reader, for any type of media that has issues.

Maybe find a Lite-on Blu ray burner on Ebay. In a quick search, I found an iHBS212 in new condition for $60.

Here in Germany it´s atm impossible to get a Liteon or a rebadge from Teac, HP.

I use rarely LTH and don´t have experience with them about longevity, but good LTH-burns have no reading-probs with my Pioneer

Had also Ritek LTH, but my drives from LG, Pioneer and Liteon don´t write em, all stopped at the begin

[quote=“Tester_1, post:3, topic:399277, full:true”]
Here in Germany it´s atm impossible to get a Liteon or a rebadge from Teac, HP.

I use rarely LTH and don´t have experience with them about longevity, but good LTH-burns have no reading-probs with my Pioneer[/quote]
Make the impossible become possible via the magic of international shipping. That’s how I ended up with a variety of high-speed white and beige Blu-ray drives here in the US (some for scanning and some for burning). Of course, finding and importing drives with black bezels for scanning is likely to be cheaper. :slight_smile:

Transfer rate tests definitely don’t serve as a reliable indicator of disc health since reading only starts to slow down when the drive is on the edge of being unable to read the disc. I personally wouldn’t assume any disc is healthy based on a TRT alone.

Monster316: Unfortunately I haven’t done a comparison of Blu-ray drives yet for reading bad discs like I’ve done for CDs and DVDs. I can confirm Kerry56’s comment about Pioneer drives generally not being good readers of bad discs based on their performance with bad CDs and DVDs. I found LG drives starting with the ‘30’ models to have vastly inferior CD and DVD reading compared to earlier models, so that poor reading may extend to the Blu-ray functionality.

A Lite-On drive model like the one Kerry56 suggested is probably your best bet unless someone comes along who has actually done a comparison of lots of different Blu-ray drives with bad Blu-ray discs. If nothing else, the Lite-On drive will enable you to do quality scans, and that’s kind of invaluable if you care at all about storing data on BD-Rs.

I know what international shopping mean, believe me :wink:

Things I don´t get here I ordered from USA, China, Japan, UK etc.

I took a look in Ebay and don´t see atm any Liteon BD-writer

I don´t need one, I have some of them bought some years ago, I just mention it because Kerry56 recommend it.

And I know the difference between Transfer rate and quality scan, but in this case I only want to show that the Pioneers don´t have a read problem with LTH-discs which are in good condition, actual LGs also not.

But I don´t have atm the possibility to test it with degraded LTH-dics because I don´t have one

I could go to a data recovery center but the data is not worth the prices they charge. On the other hand it is not completely worthless either. What kind of drives do they use at a data recovery center to recover data from BD-R?