Any reason why this isn't a good idea?

I am doing a large number of dvd backups today and normally i do the backup and then scan the disc with kprobe and then if the crappy media scans bad reburn the discs…

but kprobe gives a round about answer as to quality since there are no hard and fast limits just guidelines of what the spec is. i have seen PI that were huge and had no effect on the disc’s ability to be played. also since KP2 does not have a realtime display there is no way to know until the scan is completed that you have a “bad” disc."

so today i started doing the scanning in my entertainment pc (2ghtz 512MB 120Gig 48161h / 48246 38" monitor) in the drive that they get played back in a 48161 combo drive and instead of scanning with kprobe i am scanning with dvdinfopro. the nice things about this is that if there are errors i don’t have to wait until the scan is completely over to see that it needs to be reburned and since the burners seem to handle the errors better than the 48161 i have more of an indication that all is ok or shit.

so anybody disagree? any reason that i should take a different course?

Actually, it has realtime chart checkbox. Anyways, sounds like a lot of work to do. Allso, sounds like you’re uncertain about the media quality or concerned about variable quality of a specific batch. If it’s crappy media, then I don’t know why you select it for movie backups…

I backed up five titles in a row yesterday on MCC002, and I ran a kprobe scan just once. It was almost identical to the one I did on the disc from the same batch two weeks ago. I assumed the rest were not coasters either, and I just didn’t bother to scan each of the five discs.

there is no way to know until the scan is completed that you have a “bad” disc."

This is not accurate. you only need to look at the error count indicator during the scan to see the ave and current counts. Using the ROM drive and DVDIP will not give you the same information as an error scan. And you are mistaken that the high PI/PO values you have seen in the past are not significant. They indicate a poorly burned disc.

umm if you read the info (and you can find as i did in actual tests) that kprobe is extremely unreliable when you have realtime chart checked. i normally burn good media (ricohjpnr01) but i am helping a friend out and cmc r01 & f01 are more variable.

i hate assuming things…

i respect your opinion very much RD and i know that you do not favor dvdinfopro as there is an issue with nicw and i respect that also. i do understand that what i am looking at is different than kprobe or cd/dvd speed3 but all i am looking for is playability and since a dvdrom is reading it and reporting if there are errors it seems like this is exactly what i would want…

a real world test to tell me if my dvdrom is going to play it along with a realtime graph to confirm if it is error free or not.

along with a realtime graph to confirm if it is error free or not

Unfortunately, “error-free” has many meanings. A good scan in DVDIP does not mean you have an “error free” disc. It tells you nothing about quality.
“Playability” is something that can change faster than you think, especially if a disc starts with high PI/PO. I’m just telling you that the fact that a disc is “Readable” does not make it a good burn. Far from it. By the time you see an “error” in DVDIP, you are looking at a VERY bad burn.

A good plan would be to run PI/PO scans on a fresh batch of media until you are comfortable with it’s performance in your burner, then run CDSpeed Scandisc or Transfer Rate Test in your ROM drive on a selection of the rest of the batch. Relying only on the later only would be asking for trouble, unless you are using top quality media and a top quality burner. It’s up to you to decide what shortcuts you are comfortable taking, but don’t forget they are still shortcuts and not without risk.

I’ve been reading CDF for a while, and I’m aware that realtime charts are different. AFAIR, the lower level of errors is reported in realtime charts. I don’t object if you want to call it “extremely unreliable”. By reading your opening post I had no way of knowing that you were aware of the realtime chart feature in Kprobe.

i am helping a friend out and cmc r01 & f01 are more variable.
Makes sense.

i hate assuming things…
I almost feel guilty for not scanning all my discs ;-))

I’d still scan only selected discs after making sure the batch is not really bad. The only problem is when the media quality is variable within the batch.

Added: I typed the above paragraph without seeing the post by rdgrimes. Just had my reply window open for a while :wink:

i agree with all you say as everytime i have disagreed in the past you have proved correct. thanks for the info RD!

yeah due to the way karr setup the display it steals so many cycles away from even high end processors can’t do both scanning and reporting and displaying at the same time.

yeah i have one out of a bunch of ricoh’s that i didn’t have time to scan after burning and of course when i go to watch that ONE disc it turns out bad :frowning: i see NEC2500A’s are 39.99 (or with a coupon 29.99) after rebate right now at OM so i am seriously thinking of joining the dark side…

re: real-time display:
Actually, the author just used an “off the shelf” display that happens to use a lot of CPU time. It was never intended to be used on a regular basis, but only for scanning a small segment of a disc, to isolate specific problems.

re: joining the dark side:
It only hurts for a second, once you see the first error scan on a disc you burned with the NEC, you’ll be a happy camper. :wink: Once you try Herrie’s FW, you’ll be even happier. :iagree: (recommend 1.07v2b4)

I don’t believe DVDSpeed disc quality test has these problems with the real time display.
Give that a whirl :wink:

Ahhh the force is strong with you cnlson, the dark side welcomes you with excellent burn quality!

Uh oh. Meesa thinks we’re being infiltrated!

yeah they must search for each and every time that there is a reference to nec2500 and post. i am still teetering on this one more day… i really wanted to get a new digital camera instead. if i don’t weaken i will still be a liteon only shop tomorrow… but i do have all the coupons and rebate forms already printed out… never know i guess. maybe i will move the 811 to the usb enclosure and put in the nec… getting weaker… ahhhhhhh

LOL!

i am still teetering on this one more day… i really wanted to get a new digital camera instead. if i don’t weaken i will still be a liteon only shop tomorrow… but i do have all the coupons and rebate forms already printed out… never know i guess. maybe i will move the 811 to the usb enclosure and put in the nec… getting weaker… ahhhhhhh

Meesa (okay, one more Jar-Jar reference, and I’ll have to hit myself) thinks that you might regain your faith by getting a newer & better LiteOn drive from the 2S family or even 3S family. :wink: Ever considered a 451S?

hey point one out for 29.99 and i will buy it… (by this i mean 812 or 832)

Don’t let Code BS you, he secretly burns everything on a NEC. :iagree:

well i got one and all i can say is wow.

judge for yourself:

nec 2500 at 8x the 8x section of the burn gets a little hairy but that just confirms my feelings that this IS 4x media not 8x

now the 811 @ 4x now compare the 4x and 6x section of the nec to this… i am never going to own a liteon dvd burner again.

mourns the loss of another person to the dark side :stuck_out_tongue: Have you seen Wes’ new avatar? I need to go find a Luke avatar or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow? You call it wow? ;-)) Oh, man… Judge for your self :wink:
4.25 Gb at 8x 812s US0N BA

4.13Gb at 8x 451s@851s (CMC!)

Nothing against NEC, just Liteon is not that bad.

811s drives suck, I gave mine away and bought an 812s (now 832s) and what a difference.