Any physical difference btw 812s and 832?

vbimport

Does anyone know what, if any, are the physical differences between the 812s and 832? I’m well aware that 812s can be flashed with the bios for 832 and thus enable DL burning so let’s not get into that as I’ve read loads of posts on this aspect.

The price difference btw the two models is probably Nero 6 being bundled with the 832 as opposed to My DVD with the 812s? But is there more to it?

Can anyone with the hardware knowledge :bow: confirm for me please?

There are no known differences. The only people who would truly know would be the LiteOn engineers.

Does anyone know if Lite-On has a history of grading drive components? Like they or their supplier run 100 laser/lens assemblies through a test and the ‘best’ (most accurate, closest to optimal, etc.) 20 go to 832s, next 40 go to 812s, etc.

Like you said, only Lite-On would know for sure, but I could imagine them doing something like this to ‘encourage’ people to actually buy the 832 without driving their own costs through the roof by changing hardware.

btspm

with media quality how it is how would tell, hehe i seen mcc003 tiawan burn like crap on 832 and 812 but mcc003 singapore burn fine.

PS please people I dont want see 20 mcc003 tiawan scans now showing me im wrong hehe im making an example , and i have seen tiawan media quality is much less grade A then singapore quality for mcc003

I’ve contacted LiteOn to ask if they’ll advise on any physical differences between the 2 drives. Stay tuned and I’ll be back in a few days to let you know the outcome.

undefinedi have both drives in the one machine…(australia) models

yes ther is a difference phsically in the drives… (still testing dl 812+832 ) upgrade dl burning… (doing this in the next day or two…)

832 AND 812 SAME SIZE UNIT-- TRAY SPEED LOADING ON BOTH MODEL DIFFERENT…

812 PRESS BUTTON (TOTAL TIME FOR TRAY TO OPEN AROUND 2.5SECONDS — BUT STARTS TO OPEN AS SOON AS YOU PRESS THE BUTTON (IT TAKES 2.5 SECONDS FOR FULL TRAY TO OPEN…)

832 PRESS BUTTON (TT OPEN 2.5SECONDS) BUT THE FIRST SECOND AFTER YOU PRESS THE BUTTON IT DOES NOTHING THEN OPENS THE TRAY AT FULL (QUICK SPEED) WITHEN 1.5 SECONDS

(BOTH TRAYS LOAD IN (VIA BUTTON AT THE SAME TIME)

SO YES PHICALLY THEY HAVE DIFFERENT TRAY SPEED LOADING TIMES…

FIRMWARE (NON MODED) YES

832 BURN A LITTLE FASTER (WITH A FEW 1-5 SECONDS)

BUT MAINLY HAS BETTER BURNING SUCESS (DVD-R) X4 THEN THE 812

TRY ALL FIRMWARE UP 8 ETC… ALSO MODS ETC…

EG I MODED BOTH DRIVES FOR FASTER SHANTARIO X4 MEDIA (DVD-RX4) TO BE BURNED AT 8

832 BURNS (NERO VERIFY) PASSES 4X8 MEDIA (SAME MEDIA ID CHECK +ST)
812 BURNS (N V) PASSES ONLY 90% OF THE TIME…

P.S. 4 BURN AT 8 VARBAIT /SMARMEDIA /AND HITEC/PRINTCO FAILED…
BUT SHATNARIO X4 (BURNED AT 8 IN 832) WORKS ABOUT 10MIN TO BURN

I WILL MOD 812 TO 832 AND BURN 2 DL VERBAT DISK IN THE NEX FEW HOURS?

i think this tray opening time is firmware related, I’ve upgraded my 451S into a 832S with codeguys great FW and i also have 1 second delay tray open.
there were no delays with GSC2/GS0H

Maybe unlikely. Lite-On has released too many DVD writer models in the past one year or so.

now upgraded 812 to 832 moded firmware (same thing)
issa2000 currently dowing dl testing in both drives…

dl (bit type no mod) burn disk does not work in 2xdvd player.(stand alone)
dl (dvd-rom) bitset type mode works in 2x dvd players…

quailty tested first dl disk quality 75 (nero speed test new version)
burned in 832
next 812 (to 832) dl (dvd-rom) bit set (quality 45)

ran out of dl media (15$ pop) expensive tests…
still need to burn same image on dl (with dvd-rom) bitset but on 832 unit

to see the difference between (dl) and (dl-dvd-rom bit set) on 832 and a quaily test comparasion with 812 mod 832?

That’s gr8 issa. I’m eager to hear the results. I’m still trying to convince my supplier that due to software issues with supplied 812s, MyDVD running on Win2K, that I want to return the drive and buy the 832 instead. I’m feeling a bit more confident this is the right thing after reading your post.

dl (burn - ok ) but found new problem with 812-832 conversion
1 dl burning ok /reading ok

tryied to burn (printco 52) x4 dvd -r (shantrio ) disks using usual method
fails to product readable disk… firwar 832 v8 and old v4…
reflashed origional firware and burning movi(?) again will posty in a few minites
moded drive back to origional 812 firmware and still failed - trying nero software with verfiy on

eg in origional 832 (dvd-r x4 (shantiro) -printco 52 -2/4 speed max)… (non moded)
works…
did the same thing - with 812(832) v8 /v4 ----- 2 failed disks -unreadable disks…
(unable to read disk in both drives)

more info on dl-disk succ dl-(bit sett dvd-rom) (works in 2 stand alone dvd player) non mod dl disk (does not reconise dvddisk in player)

did a nero cd quailty check
results
dl burn in 832 (bit set not changed) quality 75.

dl burn in 812(832) v8 (bit set changed to dvd-rom) quality 45.

copy all the files from disk to hdd and both disk passed- also watch (movie) in stand alone dvd player - both played perfect…

about tray delay -
firmware upgraded 812-832 -same delay in tray.

yes it seams after may tests the 832 reads disk (god and bad) better than 812 and writes dl(rom) or dl(dl) disk better than 812(832) any firmware version- (i did not use the read speed increase incase if causes reading problems at higher speed.)
mods are bad when disks start failing to burn correctly at x4 no no changes to write stratges.

p.s buy a 832 dont mode you 812 to 832 (to may problems) -
dont mod the firmware excpt for (auto bitrate) and read speed inscrease)

all the other option will give you costers…lots…

now im try to fix my 812 (make it back to the origional firmware)

now i need help (i thing i have done this correctly)
got 812 .exe patch to crosfix flashed unit became 812 xxx4 then ran origional
firmware to update unit… but still having bad burns)

That’s very interesting info about you returning the drive to 812s firmware. I almost kept the 812s I had, even though there were MyDVD software issues, and thought about flashing to 832 but decided to return it on the sware basis.

After reading your post I’m very glad I did. You’ve been most helpful and I appreciate it.

issa2000

like kprobe you need to set speed3 to 4x reading. Because max speed scan is meaningless.

I think what issa2000 is saying is giving a lot of people the wrong impression. I have an 812s which I flashed to 832s. It burnt no better at that stage as I was using VS04, so I flashed it back to 812s with USON. No problems.

When VS08 came out I decided to once again flash to 832s. I am using bitsetting and other tweaks ( I haven’t worried too much about the others as I don’t burn 8 speed at this time).

All the time I have had the burner both as an 812s and as an 832s, I have had no problems with the eprom or the firmware. It has always burnt as I expected - pretty awful with cheap -R media, really good with good +R media, but much better with VS08 compared to VS04.

I believe that issa2000 may have used the wrong firmware, or didn’t use the correct method, when he flashed back to 812s.

Can’t wait for cheaper DL media to emerge to test that side of the burner.

Just my 2c worth.

I too have flashed my 812 to 832 and back again and still it produces readable -R with cheapo media (longten), still get coasters though. So I don’t know what’s going on with your drive issa2000!