Any panels play movies from USB?

I just got my LG 32LD550, which supposedly plays movies from devices connected to the USB port, but it doesn’t really.

It plays, but can’t be adjusted for anamorphic, 16x9, “just scan” or anything. All these adjustments are available from HDMI sources or RF cable in, but not USB.

I’ve downloaded and updated the firmware / driver / software, but still no difference.

Do any LCD panels or BD players actually play USB DVD source (.VOB files) properly?

Hi,

most home entertainment devices are limited with playback from USB sources, partly due to licensing. Perhaps these HDD based mediaplayer thingys are better here.

Michael

[QUOTE=lasitter;2563819]Do any LCD panels or BD players actually play USB DVD source (.VOB files) properly?[/QUOTE]

What kind of adjustment do you want to make?

Please elaborate a little more on your question.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2563917]What kind of adjustment do you want to make?[/QUOTE]

The image never fills the screen. Even in “full” vs “standard” setting, there are big black bars for every kind of movie.

In “standard”, you get a tiny image that you could cover with a couple of post-it notes.

The image is “squeezed”. Round objects look oval.

Tech support at LG is aware of these issues.

If you have this panel or any other that displays movie files from USB properly I’d love to know about it.

@ platinumsword , The “Supported Video Formats” chart doesn’t say it supports them via USB.
It is my understanding the “handshake” between the devices is only made HDMI.
The reason the RF cable works is because it is analog . Or I think it is.
The Precautions list does have some about USB but is vague & doesn’t say it will play movies only video.

Even though LG tech support was surprised about this inability to correctly play movies, I think it’s pretty well established that it won’t work via USB for my panel.

That’s why my question was as follows:

"Do any LCD panels or BD players actually play USB DVD source (.VOB files) properly? "

The bottom line is the you want to see the video full screen. Well it’s not that simple and in most cases you are not going to rid them without losing something. There are many factors at play here. The specs of the original source and its manipulation to be supported. Then you have to deal with every manufacturer having different constraints to play that material.

Last night I took a Blu-ray movie and recoded it.

Movie: War

Container: MKV

Video Codec: AVC
Aspect: 1280 X 544
Frame Rate: 23.97

Audio Codec: ACC

Output File size: 1.52G

I took this file and placed it on a USB stick and went to a electronics store. I found a LG 32LD550 and place it in the USB port. It played the file beautifully. Where there black bars, yes there were small black bars top and bottom but nothing abnormal to what people are currently watching when they watch via there dvd player or blu-ray player.

My Vizio plays .VOB but only one .VOB at a time. I think that what a TV plays through USB is probably just an afterthought and they just use decoders the TV already have (MPEG, AVC, WMV). USB ports are also usually limited to FAT(32) formatted media and have the ~4 GB per file limit.

Video Encoding
Supported

avi H.264/AVC AAC Up to 1920 x 1080.
mp4 MPEG 4 ASP AAC Up to 1280 x 720.
asf.
wmv.
WMV7 (WMV1)
WMV8 (WMV2)
VC-1/WMV9 (WMV3/WVC1)
WMA7(V1)
WMA8(V2)
Up to 1920 x 1080
mov H.264/AVC AAC Up to 1920 x 1080.
mpg.
mpeg.
MPEG2 AC3 Up to 1920 x 1080
vob MPEG2 AC3 Up to 1920 x 1080

Correct, It’s not cut and dry and there a many variables at play and they will vary between manufacturer.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2564015]Last night I took a Blu-ray movie and recoded it. [/QUOTE]One tech support guy said that you could fill the screen by taking standard DVD content, then upconverting it to 1920x1080, and then playing that back from USB.

None of my content has been converted from 720x480, so the black bars are very large.

And since you started out with BD content, you didn’t have the stretched heads either I guess

In the end, the TV is just a panel in front of a computer running software. I just think that if they wanted to modify the software for it to work right, then it could. At the very least they could give you manual control over screen options via a menu, but there’s really nothing there for the USB input.

Thanks for going to the trouble to do a test.

It does not matter what the source was. Up-converting it to 1920x1080 does not necessarily mean its going to fill the screen. Aspect ratio will determine this. Typically any movie with an aspect ratio of 1:85:1 will fill the screen. One of the most common aspect ratios you see is 2:35:1, so you are going to see black bars.

Usually you don’t play a VOB container via the USB. More typically used containers are Avi,Mkv and Mp4.

[QUOTE=lasitter;2563819]I just got my LG 32LD550, which supposedly plays movies from devices connected to the USB port, but it doesn’t really.

It plays, but can’t be adjusted for anamorphic, 16x9, “just scan” or anything. All these adjustments are available from HDMI sources or RF cable in, but not USB.

I’ve downloaded and updated the firmware / driver / software, but still no difference.

Do any LCD panels or BD players actually play USB DVD source (.VOB files) properly?[/QUOTE]
I have no problem playing movies from the usb drive. I upgraded my HTC with an Asus card for USB3 and SATA6.
When I first tried to copy a movie from the HD to the Kingston USB3 flash drive, got the message not enough space.
I was told by a tech that because the USB flash was formated with FAT32 that is limited to 4 gb. I reformated the drive with NFTS. I was then able to copy a 17GB (BD25) from the HD to the Kingston usb3 in about 7 minutes. I done this with my office computer. I then took the USB 3 flash drive to my HTC and plugged it in the front USB 2 panel. Because USB3 is backward compatible, the movie played. Depending on the software player I use, I sometimes have to play the movie from the streaming folder.

Further to what I wrote, I am able to play VOB files just fine. A regular DVD with VOB files copies from the HD onto the Kingston USB3 under 3 minutes! The USB3 flash drive then plays the movie using a software player, I used Arcsoft and Cyberlink and the movies played just fine. Arcsoft plays the movies easier from the folder, while Cyberlink may need to go to the file. But both play very well.

[QUOTE=arbort2;2564145]Further to what I wrote, I am able to play VOB files just fine…[/QUOTE]
Did you mention what panel or BD player you plugged the USB drive into for this successful playback?

The USB flash drive with vob regular dvd movie or a blu-ray movie, most all above 4gb and copied on the USB flash formated with the NTFS file system just will not work in my Panasonic Blu-ray player. Says incompatible.

I use a computer to play back the movie on the USB flash drive. The computer sends the HDMI signal from the video card that is connected to an Epson Home Theatre projector. It should also play on a TV with an HDMI input.

Hope this is useful

You refer to filling the screen with 2.40:1 If you are using a TV, yes you will black bars.
But I use a projector (Epson home theatre) that is on a stand with wheels. My screen is 11ft wide by 5 ft high.
All I have to do is wheel the stand back until I fill most of the screen. When using a set top dvd player, I can fill the screen completely. When using a computer there still is a small black bar, but not very much. The picture is about 4.5 feet high by 11 feet wide. I would have to enlarge my screen about 11.5 ft wide, but I have ran out of space. On one side is the frame of a window, while the other is a post (balister). But I am very satisfied with the result.