Any new DVD technology?

vbimport

I am building a new system and will be putting in a DVD burner. I have never used one before so need some help in choosing a good one. I will be backing up home DVDs and also using it for data transfer and backup. I have looked at the Sony DRU-500AX as a possibility, but have just read that there is a 510AX model either just out or coming out.
I will be putting it all together and buying the DVD drive in about a month. My question is – Will there be any new DVD technology coming out in the next 4 to 5 weeks that I should wait for?

Originally posted by Willgg
I am building a new system and will be putting in a DVD burner. I have never used one before so need some help in choosing a good one. I will be backing up home DVDs and also using it for data transfer and backup. I have looked at the Sony DRU-500AX as a possibility, but have just read that there is a 510AX model either just out or coming out.
I will be putting it all together and buying the DVD drive in about a month. My question is – Will there be any new DVD technology coming out in the next 4 to 5 weeks that I should wait for?

How new? 8x DVD+R? Serial ATA?

I am aware that no matter what computer related equipment I buy, in six months there will be a new and improved version that comes out and that my $300 purchase is now selling for $179. I just wanted to prevent myself from buying a DVD burner, then find out that an improved one just came out and that everyone but me had been waiting for it for the last six weeks.

Since I wrote the original post, I found out that the DRU-510 is coming out soon. I may just use an old CD drive and wait until it comes out and is proven to be a good drive before I buy it.

BTW – my plan is to build a system based on a Canterwood i875 motherboard with SATA and a Pentium IV 3.0-800 and 1 gig of ram. Later this year Intel will be introducing the Prescott chip (probably called Pentium V). After these have been on the market awhile and the price comes down (maybe in 12-18 months) I will upgrade processors. I mention this to say that I want the DVD burner to last at least this long

Originally posted by Willgg
Since I wrote the original post, I found out that the DRU-510 is coming out soon. I may just use an old CD drive and wait until it comes out and is proven to be a good drive before I buy it.

DRU-510A is DRU-500A with only faster DVD+RW write speed, 4x instead of 2.4x. I think I can safely say it is proven enough already.

I hope there will be some Serial ATA 4x DVD writers by the time you build your first 875 800FSB system. :slight_smile:

I saw a CDFreaks front page article recomending to stay with the + format as many oem manufacturers are going this route. I have a - drive. Oh well ! The Lite-on + drive (I was corrected that it is not a +/- drive as I had hoped) is being waited on with anticipation. I’d hold out for that one.

Originally posted by Astronutty
I saw a CDFreaks front page article recomending to stay with the + format as many oem manufacturers are going this route. I have a - drive. Oh well ! The Lite-on + drive (I was corrected that it is not a +/- drive as I had hoped) is being waited on with anticipation. I’d hold out for that one.

There are two kinds:

4x DVD+R

4x DVD+R/4x DVD-R

Quote:

There are two kinds:

4x DVD+R

4x DVD+R/4x DVD-R <<<<<Combo Drive?

If you could clarify things, I would appriciate it.

Do we have three types of drives to choose from?
DVD-r, DVD+r, and DVD+/-r?

Originally posted by Astronutty
Quote:

There are two kinds:

4x DVD+R

4x DVD+R/4x DVD-R <<<<<Combo Drive?

If you could clarify things, I would appriciate it.

Do we have three types of drives to choose from?
DVD-r, DVD+r, and DVD+/-r?

I meant there are two types of 4x DVD writers from Lite-On IT and NEC.

4x DVD+R: such as NEC ND-1100A

4x DVD+R/4x DVD-R: such as NEC ND-1300A