Any LDW - 851S users able to burn at 8X?

I just bought the LDW - 851S DVD writer a few days ago. Except the bundled DVD+R (media code: Yuden) I was able to burn at 8X, all others could be burnt at 4X only.

I have tried Verbatim (media code: mcc002), Ricoh (media code: RICOHJPNR01), and Team5(media code: 001). The Team5 one claimed it’s a 8X DVD+R, though.

I have already flashed the firmware to GS08.

The unlucky thing is that I can’t find DVD+R with media code “Yuden” here (HK). :frowning:

Are you sure? I think about every user of 811 did burn ricohjpnr01 @8X

It could mean that the firmware doesn’t allow it yet and somewhat lead us to the conclusion that 851/451 firmware development is “late” compared with 411/811 …

Yes it was because I know that 811 was able to burn ricohjpnr01 at 8X and so I went to buy the Ricoh DVD+R.

I have tried several disc by myself and therefore I don’t want to try endlessly. :Z

Since when I flashed the firmware, I have to reboot twice to get the writer works. I just want to confirm if there are other 851 users having similar problem, or just only my writer gets something wrong.

The reason you can’t burn the Ricoh disc @ 8X in the 851 is that it is not supported in the 851 firmware for 8X burning like it is in the 811 firmware. If the firmware was changed a bit you then could…

Thanks~

So is there a way to check which DVD+Rs are supported in the 851 firmware for 8X burning?

I know there is a way using a hex editor to look at the f/w you are using. From ther you can decipher the information.
I just know that there is a way. But I don’t know anymore that that.

These should support 8x in GS08:

YUDEN000T01
YUDEN000T02
MCC003
RICOHJPNR02
RITEKR03
CMC MAGE01
PRODISCR03
SONYD11
Philips081
CMC MAGF01
MAXELL002

If you have a spare second, could you please explain how you found that out? :smiley:

Originally posted by Ssseth
If you have a spare second, could you please explain how you found that out? :smiley:

Search for “52 00” that’ll bring you to the DVD+R area. Then search for “00 1E 00” and the code before each instance should burn at 8x.

Originally posted by dhc014
[B]These should support 8x in GS08:

YUDEN000T01
YUDEN000T02
MCC003
RICOHJPNR02
RITEKR03
CMC MAGE01
PRODISCR03
SONYD11
Philips081
CMC MAGF01
MAXELL002

[/B]

Thanks dhc014…

Really no luck. I was only able to get disc “RICOHJPBR01” (not R02), “MCC002” (not 003). Seems that I have to wait for the new coming ones.

My Memorex 4X DVD+R discs info shows RICOHJPBR01-R02(the exact same as 25 8X RITEK discs I bought for $20 more). Would that be why I can burn these Memorex discs at 8X without any problems?

Yes.
(although perhaps the quality is less when burned at 8x when they are only rated 4x by memorex. Have you tried comparing scan results? See my sig, tool 1 for how to scan if you don’t know how).

Originally posted by tonileung
Really no luck. I was only able to get disc “RICOHJPBR01” (not R02), “MCC002” (not 003). Seems that I have to wait for the new coming ones.
If you dare, accept the possible risk, can handle a hex editor and burn a .bin with the flash tool from the sticky tools post you could simply patch the firmware to allow burning these media @8x.

Warning: Patching firmware is nothing for newbies! I do not have a LDW851 drive so I do not know if the firmware uses checksums. I know by personal experiance that the LDW411 FS0F, LDW811 HS06 and HS0E firmwares do not perform firmware checksum checks, so patching them right causes no problems. I also know that this speed patch works with the LDW 811 firmwares in principle.

To patch the mentioned media to 8x you only have to …

1. Get a LDW851s GS08 or GS0A .bin file, the following addresses are valid only for this firmware and the 1 MB .bin file.
  2. At address $c0000 you will find many DVD+R media codes. If you do not see them, just stop here.
  3. To burn MCC02 disks @8x change $C00B3 from $06 to $1e.
  4. To burn RICOHJPNR01 disks @8x (I think your “RICOHJPBR01” is just a typo) change $C0135 from $06 to $1e.
  5. Make shure that you only changed this two bytes by comparing the patched .bin file with the original, e.g. using the command line tool “fc”.
  6. Get the “flash tool” here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=83441
  7. Back up your current firmware.
  8. Flash the patched firmware.
  9. Post your results and have fun.

EDIT: the given addresses also fit for GS0A

Originally posted by ala42
[B]If you dare, accept the possible risk, can handle a hex editor and burn a .bin with the flash tool from the sticky tools post you could simply patch the firmware to allow burning these media @8x.

Warning: Patching firmware is nothing for newbies! I do not have a LDW851 drive so I do not know if the firmware uses checksums. I know by personal experiance that the LDW411 FS0F, LDW811 HS06 and HS0E firmwares do not perform firmware checksum checks, so patching them right causes no problems. I also know that this speed patch works with the LDW 811 firmwares in principle.

To patch the mentioned media to 8x you only have to …

1. Get a LDW851s GS08 .bin file, the following addresses are valid only for this firmware and the 1 MB .bin file.
  2. At address $c0000 you will find many DVD+R media codes. If you do not see them, just stop here.
  3. To burn MCC02 disks @8x change $C00B3 from $06 to $1e.
  4. To burn RICOHJPNR01 disks @8x (I think your “RICOHJPBR01” is just a typo) change $C0135 from $06 to $1e.
  5. Make shure that you only changed this two bytes by comparing the patched .bin file with the original, e.g. using the command line tool “fc”.
  6. Get the “flash tool” here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=83441
  7. Back up your current firmware.
  8. Flash the patched firmware.
  9. Post your results and have fun. [/B]

I followed your instructions for RicohJpn media and it worked like a CHARM. Thank You very, very much. Nero reported 8X and a full DVD burned in about 8 1/2 minutes. I also verified the burn with Nero and there were no problems. Please update these instructions as new firmware is released.

can you do a kprobe scan on your 8x burned media? i would like to see the results

Originally posted by siliconsoul
can you do a kprobe scan on your 8x burned media? i would like to see the results

First time I’ve ever used kprobe, not sure what this means:
851.bmp

Is it possible to mod the firmware to allow writing to BeAll.G00001 (DVD-R) at 2X instead of 1X? - or is it only possible for DVD+R media? I know for sure that the BeAll.G0001 is a 2X media, and even the BTC DRW1004 can write to this media at 2X with excellent results (this does not happen very often :)). I don’t need someone to actually do this for me, just instructions how to change Burn speeds for DVD-R - if possible at all. :bow:

Cheers,
Peter

Richard98, there’s a Kprobe thread that tells you how to interpret the scans, but yours look quite good.

For comparison, here are mine from a 401@411@811 using firmware HSOK and Verbatim 4X +R (which is also RicohJPN R01-02) burned at 8X.

The max PI and PO are close to what you’re getting on your 851, and well within acceptable limits.

Originally posted by richard98
I followed your instructions for RicohJpn media and it worked like a CHARM. Thank You very, very much.
You are welcome :slight_smile: It took just a week until someone dared to patch the firmware, so my warnings were understood. It is better to burn at 4x than risking a drive and waranty if you do not exactly know what you are doing and know how to recover the drive in case of a small failure with a large effect.
Your kprobe scan looks quite good. It is a bit surprising so see that you got the highest PI errors right at the beginning of the disk in the first half of the part which is written at 4x, the other part written at 4x is fine. The next visible section is written at 6x, the last 2/3 of the disk is written at 8x and has extremly low PI errors.
When scanning with kprobe you should read at 4x with ECC8 so that the scan can be better compared with the other scans posted here. Save the image as .png file to get a small lossless compressed file.
Thanks for your feedback!

its strange that the 8x sections are better writes! wonder when they are going to get a burn that starts at 8x… or if it is possible!

im thinking about getting a 851s but still unsure… my 401s burns good and 8x is the only plus with the 851s as it does not do bitsetting yet too!

thanks for the scan i had a thread a few weeks back asing for 851s kprobe scans and i did not notice anyone reply to it with scans