Any HiDef DVD I try can only get a 2.0x read speed

vbimport

Using Windows Vista SP1, AnyDVD 6.4.8.4, Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.1.1 and ImGBurn 2.4.2.0

Any HiDef DVD I try I can only get a 2.0x or so transfer speed with ImGBurn.
I have the LG GGC-H20L with the 1.03 firmware. It should have a BR-ROM read speed of 6 and while I don’t expect any truth in advertising at my advanced age I would hope for something like 4.7x that others have said they can get with this drive.

I did have Damien Tools light but have removed it as it was said that it caused this very issue. Well, the driver it installs did.

I’ve also made sure that the DMA mode for the drive is correct.

Explain the steps you used to uninstall Daemon Tools. Just running the Daemon Tools uninstall is not enough. You need to remove the SPTD driver, as well. That installer can be used to uninstall it. If this is not done, the problem will continue to exist.

Yes, I downloaded the install for the driver that has the uninstall button on it, uninstalled it and rebooted but I still get only 1.7-2.0x for the transfer rate.

That’s very odd as I have the same drive in my HTPC and I’m getting 20mpbs when ripping discs with AnyDVD HD. I’m not sure what could be going on. You could load up ImgBurn and check under tools the Filter driver load order option. That will show you what other drivers you have installed. It’s possible something is conflicting and causing a problem. Packet writing software is notorious for causing problems. Feel free to post the results here and we can try to take a look. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the sata driver for whatever sata port you have it connected to.

Is the Sonic driver an issue?

This is my ImgBurn load order:

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.2.0

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]
Upper Class Filter: [None Found]
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD
Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Filter Name:  PxHelp20
      File Name:  C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
   File Version:  2.03.16a [2.3.16.0]

File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name:  AnyDVD
      File Name:  C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
   File Version:  6.4.8.4

File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 6.4.8.4
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
Copyright: Copyright 2002 - 2008 SlySoft, Inc.

Those drivers should be ok. I’m really not sure what to tell you. Sorry.

Ok, I just got a new Gigabyte board and when you install the Gigabyte SATA controller driver that runs the 7th and 8th SATA ports, you get a prompt asking if you want to install the driver for regular old IDE or something else I forget. :slight_smile: Says something about more features for the default selection or the regular old IDE. I reinstalled with the regular old IDE selection. I’m now seeing 3.9x at about 45% of the disc. I’m guessing the ramping is normal as it gets to the outside edge of the disc?
While I’m here, what is the fastest drive for reading BR-ROM discs?

Yes, that’s correct. It’ll get faster as it moves across the disc. As for the fastest drive, I couldn’t tell you. I’m partial to the LG drives.

[quote=Tanquen;2156860]While I’m here, what is the fastest drive for reading BR-ROM discs?[/quote]The fastest drive for reading BD-ROM is Panasonic SW-5584 and Buffalo BR-816FBS (OEM SW-5584), both reads at 8x PCAV. A full BD-ROM DL can be read around 27+ minutes at 8x PCAV.

For comparison, your LG reads BD-ROM DL at max 4.8x CAV in about 54 mins (full 50GB disk).

Damn, that’s impressive!

It seems like it would be more like 25+ minutes as the drive I have now is supposed to be a 6x BR-ROM reader and I’ve never seen a drive that can read at the speed they advertise. It’s bad enough that it’s only for a brief moment at the outside edge of the disc.

It seem like the 8x drive would read more like 6x. Maybe it’s like the hard drive manufactures and to me and my computers BIOS and my RAM and any OS that I’ve ever run 1MB is 1024k but not the hard drive manufactures. No, to them there is 1000k in 1MB. :stuck_out_tongue: So a 1x BR-ROM read speed to me is 36Mbps (I think) so to the ROM drive manufactures it’s 30Mbps.

54 minutes sounds about right for my drive as it took about 35 minutes to read a 30(something) GB disc last night. Wouldn’t you need a like 10 or 12x drive to read a 54GB in 15+ minutes?

Anyway, I’m just happy to be doing better that the 2x I had been getting.