Any good writer available these days?

vbimport

Hi all,

Could anybody suggest a good CD/DVD writer (external or internal) or even a BD writer? I will use it 90% for audio burning.
My good old Asus CRW5232AX seems to be dead…:frowning:

Thanx in advance

There aren’t too many around here who are enthusiastic about the modern dvd burners.

The Pioneer Blu-ray burners still get high marks from our members. The 209 or retail model 2209 are the latest from them.

When one of my burners finally failed, and I decided I didn’t want to shell out a lot of money for another Pioneer Blu-ray burner, I got an Optiarc 7200s off of ebay. You’ll occasionally find one in “new” condition.

Yulio,is your motherboard equipped with both sata and ide connectors?
If your mobo has only ide connectors,using an external drive will be the easiest option,as the other possablities are limited to finding a good ide drive on an online marketplace,or using an ide to sata converter if you want to buy a new drive,as all of them have sata now.

@ Kerry56: I heard/read a lot of good things about Pioneer drives. Too bad they are not available in my country. I will try to buy from amazon.de… I have at home an Optiarc 7200A (IDE), in a almost new condition: i only burned around 20-30 cds before i moved to SATA. Should i use it as my main burner instead of my Asus DRW-1814BLT? It’s ok for audio cd burning? I also have an LG GCE-8527B cd writer. Do you think it’s better for CD audio burning than Optiarc & Asus?

@ roadworker: Yes, my motherbord is the good old Asus Commando, so i do have IDE & SATA.
I was thinking about buying an external burner (BD/DVD/CD) since i would love to upgrade to something like Asus Vivo PC

Could you recommend any good external burners?

Thank you all for your kind answers.
Iulian

[QUOTE=Yulyo;2719242] I have at home an Optiarc 7200A (IDE), in a almost new condition: i only burned around 20-30 cds before i moved to SATA. Should i use it as my main burner instead of my Asus DRW-1814BLT? It’s ok for audio cd burning? [/QUOTE]

Review by 1 of myce’s EXCELLENT reviewers:

Nice. I didn’t knew is THAT good. :slight_smile:
I tried to burn some Sony DVD-R a few weeks ago, didn’t even want to start burning them…
I will clean it and try again, of course.
So, in conclusion, no NEW burners around except from Pioneer’s. :frowning:
Any experiences with Samsung?

[QUOTE=Yulyo;2719247]
Any experiences with Samsung?[/QUOTE]

Only the last few weeks…I bought this 1 not so long ago:

While it’s a decent burner for all optical media I throwed at it so far,it lacks a few things IMHO:
For audio:it caches data,so ripping with EAC or dBpoweramp is slow as molasses.
For dvd:riplock,so even with a decent decrypter,like AnyDvd HD or DvdFab Passkey,the reading speed is locked to 3-4X maximum.
For Blu-ray,see above.
No modified/anti-riplock firmware available ATM,as no 1 cares to spend time and effords on this 1.

But it’s stable as a rock,no slowdowns while burning and no weird behaviour on windows startup.

Nice one. I think i will buy it as a backup drive and use my Optiarc for daily tasks.
Thank you all.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2719189]There aren’t too many around here who are enthusiastic about the modern dvd burners.

The Pioneer Blu-ray burners still get high marks from our members. The 209 or retail model 2209 are the latest from them.

When one of my burners finally failed, and I decided I didn’t want to shell out a lot of money for another Pioneer Blu-ray burner, I got an Optiarc 7200s off of ebay. You’ll occasionally find one in “new” condition.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been missing the action for years now. Now I’m thinking of a Blu-Ray recorder. The Pioneer models you mention, do they have any riplocks or other drawback? Can they do a disk quality scan and do they do it properly?

What should i choose?:bow:

http://www.pcgarage.ro/unitati-optice-notebook/

10x

I found this one. Is it worth it?
LiteOn IHAS122-04

http://www.pcgarage.ro/dvd-writere/liteon/ihas122-04-bulk-black/

[QUOTE=orion24;2720300]I’ve been missing the action for years now. Now I’m thinking of a Blu-Ray recorder. The Pioneer models you mention, do they have any riplocks or other drawback? Can they do a disk quality scan and do they do it properly?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it took me a while to look in on this thread again. If you want a Blu-ray drive to do scans, you’ll need a Lite-on model. And you’ll need to buy the program Opti Drive Control.

There have been some complaints about the newer Pioneers as ripping drives: http://club.myce.com/f61/best-bluray-playing-ripping-drive-no-bd-r-330004/

Most of us like the Pioneers for their writing ability.