Any good linux scanning apps?

something i do miss from windows is a good dvd scanning program.

qpxtool is worth trying. I find it a bit flaky, but it does
work after a fashion.

Cressida will be along any minute now to tell you about
running CD-DVD Speed under Wine.

Haha :wink: - Yes, I made a thread about it before this sub-forum existed: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=209529

All you need is a SATA drive installed and you can scan away happily with CDSpeed. Everything works as you know it (except for CPU Usage monitoring under Create Disc).

i will give both a shot. i had thought about using wine with cd-speed, but didn’t think it would work.

cdrtools seems to support scanning as well (at least as of 2.01.01a33) with the readcd command.

Does the Linux version of Nero support scanning?

-Ben

I don’t think so. At least it didn’t the last time I tried it.

BTW, Welcome to CD Freaks.

Thanks for quick answer, and thanks for the welcome.

For anyone stumbling onto this thread, qpxtools seems to be actively maintained.
http://qpxtool.sourceforge.net/

-Ben

I have cdrtools with a version number of 2.01.01a01, or at least Debian’s version of that package. (Debian has some issues with cdrecord!) I don’t see any flags to the readcd program to support scanning of a DVD. Does your version support scanning of DVDs? My version has a command switch -c2scan, but that seems to be CD specific.

-Ben

I have been able to get DVD Info pro to work on Linux with Wine. It’s not a native Linux app but seemed to work well. I have just upgraded to Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 and plan on testing soon. ImgBurn seems to work better on the newest Wine which seems to have worked out the bugs with Unicode combo boxes.

[QUOTE=Cressida;1810975]Haha :wink: - Yes, I made a thread about it before this sub-forum existed: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=209529

All you need is a SATA drive installed and you can scan away happily with CDSpeed. Everything works as you know it (except for CPU Usage monitoring under Create Disc).[/QUOTE]
Cressida - I read your other thread - I don’t have a SATA drive, but can I put my IDE drive in an external enclosure instead? The other thread seemed to say that would work. Can you confirm? I’m not averse to buying a SATA drive, but I really like my Benq 1640 for scanning, and I don’t think I’ll find a SATA drive that is as good for scanning.

[QUOTE=qpieus;1937598]Cressida - I read your other thread - I don’t have a SATA drive, but can I put my IDE drive in an external enclosure instead? The other thread seemed to say that would work. Can you confirm? I’m not averse to buying a SATA drive, but I really like my Benq 1640 for scanning, and I don’t think I’ll find a SATA drive that is as good for scanning.[/QUOTE]

Hi qpieus,

I need to have my SATA burner installed for CDSpeed to see external USB/FireWire drives. It will come up with “No CD-ROM drives found” when I disconnect the SATA drive. Note that I don’t use any internal PATA burner(s) either, just the one SATA.

Oh, I see. So I would need to get a SATA burner AND an external enclosure for me to be able to use my benq 1640 (in the enclosure)? That kinda stinks - I was hoping I could skip the “get a SATA burner” part. Well, it still is probably worth it - the only thing I use my windows pc is for quality scanning. If I could do that on my linux box that would be awesome.

If I’m gonna buy a SATA drive anyway, do you have any recommended drives that can do my quality scanning? My benq 1640 is a fantastic burner so I will still use that for burning.

If it was me, probably a Lite-On DH-20A3S. It will be able to scan for Jitter with the next release of CDSpeed.

Thanks for the advice. Boy I hope I can get this working. I hate wasting a computer on windows when all I need it for is quality scanning! I may be back for further help…

@Creaaida: Have you ever tried QPxTool?

[QUOTE=geno888;1938812]@Creaaida: Have you ever tried QPxTool?[/QUOTE]

Yes I have, Geno, but only once or twice. Just like KProbe, I have no need for it when I can use CDSpeed instead and see in a glance what’s going on. I only want that one SATA drive in my main PC anyway, so it’s perfect for me. :slight_smile:

@qpieus - the Samsung SH-S203B is a popular choice as well, but can’t scan Jitter.

I just noticed that I did a totally dumb typo error in writing your name :o

Sorry Cressida :flower:

No worries, Geno :flower: ! I like Italian design :stuck_out_tongue: .

pxlinux
qpxtool
readcd (cdrtools-2.01.01a36)