Any dvd palyers that play DVD+R DL without changing booktype?

Hey guys,
This is my first post here, so sorry if this seems like a silly question. I’ve recnntly done some research and realized that my DL burner does not support changing the booktype (it is a Sony AW-Q160S), and so burning on DVD+R DL discs means I have to burn in that booktype as well. Does anyone know of any good standalone dvd players that play DVD+R DL media in this booktype setting (without changing to DVD-Rom)? I can’t seem to find any and google has been no help either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Chris

[QUOTE=jimmyweez;2049959]Hey guys,
This is my first post here, so sorry if this seems like a silly question. I’ve recnntly done some research and realized that my DL burner does not support changing the booktype (it is a Sony AW-Q160S), and so burning on DVD+R DL discs means I have to burn in that booktype as well. Does anyone know of any good standalone dvd players that play DVD+R DL media in this booktype setting (without changing to DVD-Rom)? I can’t seem to find any and google has been no help either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Chris[/QUOTE]

What kinda software are you using to burn? What kinda files are they? Have you check with sony support site on the DVD-ROM or lack of DVD-ROM booktype???

Thanks for your quick response! I am using Nero 7 Ultra edition in conjunction with DVD43. I have tried basically every kind of way to change the booktype, but none will work. I have also tried using different buring programs including dvdclone and 1clickdvdcopy pro. They all work fine on my computer, but won’t play on the standalones I try them on. Thus I assume it is a player problem, not a burner (although please correct me if I’m wrong). that’s why I’m looking for a standalone player that will play the DVD+R DL format without a changed booktype. Any suggestions?

[QUOTE=jimmyweez;2050356]Thanks for your quick response! I am using Nero 7 Ultra edition in conjunction with DVD43. I have tried basically every kind of way to change the booktype, but none will work. I have also tried using different buring programs including dvdclone and 1clickdvdcopy pro. They all work fine on my computer, but won’t play on the standalones I try them on. Thus I assume it is a player problem, not a burner (although please correct me if I’m wrong). that’s why I’m looking for a standalone player that will play the DVD+R DL format without a changed booktype. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Have you check to see if there is a firmware update for your burner and also contact Sony support for your drive as to what software would set the booktype to DVD-ROM at the time of the burn? I do know Nero does set booktype to DVD-ROM capability drive. I had a old liteon drive but with the liteon utility each time I wanted to burn to DVD-ROM booktype- I just had to set the feature on cause it didn’t allow the DVD-ROM setting to be saved. But first would be to contact Sony tech support for your drive.

Almost every burner out sets DL booktype to dvd rom. Are you positive yours doesn’t or is there a hack to make it into a similar drive that can?
My Toshiba A-2 hd-dvd player will play media, including dl, with the native booktype, in fact for some burns I do it plays better that way, which is a first.

I looked around a bit and it would seem that this burner has some problems.
This is a dell oem right?
Below are a couple of related threads. Apparently, your burner’s a rebadged Lite-On SH-16A7L or a close relative. It does have a mediatek chipset.
Reportedly, dell was replacing these drives for their less-than-happy customers, for awhile anyway.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/sony-aw-q160s-206483/
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/sony-aw-q160s-sata-pictures-inside-215359/

Looks like no one has got firmware support for bitsetting for this burner, although you could give Liggy and Dee a try:
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/

Personally, I’d try to bitset and burn with Img. I think there’s a good chance this will work. You certainly don’t have to burn with Img, but why not?..at least try the bitsetting…you can give nero a shot at this as well.

My medion upscaling player/recorder prefers none book typed media its weird but my pioneer dvd player prefers booktyped stuff

Check videohelp.com for standalones that fit your needs.