Any dvd DEP compatability

Sorry I didn’t see this anywhere. Trying to install Slysoft Any DVD and I keep getting the shut down message that it needs to be DEP compatible. I have turned off the DEP protection in my system folder yet it will still not let me run any DVD. I am running vista on my HP Entertainment Notebook. Dv5 1000 is the model. :sad:

[QUOTE=kmarlowe;2243466]Sorry I didn’t see this anywhere. Trying to install Slysoft Any DVD and I keep getting the shut down message that it needs to be DEP compatible. I have turned off the DEP protection in my system folder yet it will still not let me run any DVD. I am running vista on my HP Entertainment Notebook. Dv5 1000 is the model. :sad:[/QUOTE]

I don’t use AnyDVD, however you may resolve your issue by doing the following

Right click om “My Computer” and on the right side click on “Advanced SystemSettings” when the system properties are displayed under (Performance) click on settings.
You should now see [B]Performance Option[/B] now click on the [B]D[/B]ata [B]E[/B]xecution [B]P[/B]revention(DEP) tab and put a tick mark next to “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select”

and make sure that AnyDVD is in the list and has a check mark in front of it.

Have a nice day :flower:

Thank you. I’ve done that to no avail. I will keep working on it.

[QUOTE=kmarlowe;2243530]Thank you. I’ve done that to no avail. I will keep working on it.[/QUOTE]

If you are having this issue and the steps that I gave didn’t work then that must mean you are running the home premium version of Vista if that is the case then you will find that your account is limited even as owner/administrator and other steps can or will need to be taken :frowning:

StormJumper;I have VHP & I use AnyDVD with no problem but as posted before I have taken some extronary efforts to takeown & grant privileges.
One quick thing the OP could try is turn off UAC if he hasn’t already.
Seems like there is a command prompt command for the DEP too .I will take a look to see if I can find my notes on it.
You have to be an administrator & open the command prompt with Run as administartor to do this:
type or copy this command: bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOff

[QUOTE=cholla;2243544]StormJumper;I have VHP & I use AnyDVD with no problem but as posted before I have taken some extronary efforts to takeown & grant privileges.
One quick thing the OP could try is turn off UAC if he hasn’t already.
Seems like there is a command prompt command for the DEP too .I will take a look to see if I can find my notes on it.[/QUOTE]

Taking extraordinary steps can be taken however turning off UAC does not always work in some cases and does not increase the limitation of ones account, however I will be waiting to see your input on this matter :wink:

I agree turning off UAC may not help but it also may it’s a 50/50 shot.It is easy to turn back on if someone wants it.
I probably edited my post above while you posted.
The command I posted should turn off DEP.

Thank you I will try all when I get home and let you know how it works. You are great!

Turned off UAC and keep turning off DEP for anydvd. Still not working. Believe I am using Vista home. This is a mess. Worked on old computer and now can’t get it on this one. If I can’t fix this, can you suggest another program to rip and copy movies for me. Thanks

[QUOTE=kmarlowe;2244362]Turned off UAC and keep turning off DEP for anydvd. Still not working. Believe I am using Vista home. This is a mess. Worked on old computer and now can’t get it on this one. If I can’t fix this, can you suggest another program to rip and copy movies for me. Thanks[/QUOTE]
With Vista Home Premium a lot of times depending on the manufacturer you need to have a logon password set for your administrator account for it to be defined or it will be undefined within the security policies.

you will find that DVDFab Gold or Platinum are great for doing video backups, there is also DVDFab HD Decrypter which is free course that does not do any compression but you can always use DVD Shrink which is also free and you can set up DVD Shrink to use ImgBurn to burn to disc which is also free and the best burn engine(in my opinion)

Did you turn your Anti-virus protection off before you installed AnyDVD? Maybe you should uninstall AnyDVD and make sure the antI-virus is turned off before you install it again

I would do what GJ suggested with the antivirus.I would also go to the slysoft site & DL a new AnyDVD install.
Uninstall the old one & do a fresh install.
Did you try the bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOff command?
& for turning DEP back on with command
bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOn

StormJumper;I only have one logon it is both a user & Administrators account.I did have the hidden Administrator account visible for a while with a seperate logon but I seldom used it & didnt see any advantage to using it so I hid it again.

[QUOTE=cholla;2244494]StormJumper;I only have one logon it is both a user & Administrators account.I did have the hidden Administrator account visible for a while with a seperate logon but I seldom used it & didnt see any advantage to using it so I hid it again.[/QUOTE]

Advantage and disadvantage of logon password on Vista Home Premium
1…Disadvantage of no logon-> there are some programs that need to have administrative rights to function properly and on the home premium version your administrator account is limited, because the Administrator account Status is undefined within the security policies which you have no access to…
so in order to have those programs that require administrative right you need to open the programs properties and select the compatibility tab and at the very bottom under “Privilege Level” you need to put a check mark next to “Run this program as an administrator”

2…Advantage of having a logon-> you don’t have to use the compatibility tab because all programs will have administrative rights for your account because the administrator account status is defined within the security policies, even though your privilege level is increased you still have limitation due to how it is defined in the security policies

StormJumper;I guess the one logon I have has as full of access as home premium has.There are no compatibility tabs when I select the Properties of any file.
I have only found 4 files that I don’t have access too & they are in the same folder.By not having access I mean I can’t change the security settings or delete them from inside Windows.I can however use TRK a linux disc.Booting into it I can access & delete the files.They then rebuild on boot back into Windows but much smaller on the one that grows.The way I found then is they are some of the few my defragger doesn’t have access either to defrag them.

Could you give me an example of the Administrator account Status when it is defined in security policies ?Just so I might know if I have made some of the settings from the command prompt.

Hi cholla
I would be glad to help you but this kind of help is really taking this thread off topic so if you wish we can do this by PM which I find myself doing a lot but giving help is giving help no matter how it is done :bigsmile:

BTW you can find the compatibility tab for any program from it’s exe file like it icon on the desktop or the one found within the [B]“Program Files”[/B] folder on the C drive :wink:

Hi StormJumper; Your right my apologies to the OP for getting the thread off topic.