Any difference between SOHC-5235k and -5236V?

vbimport

The combo drive I currently use (a Lite-On SOHC-5235K) has been giving me a bit of trouble lately, so I’m thinking of just tossing it and picking up a new one.

I noticed a store near me is selling the SOHC-5236V combo drive for around $25 CDN, and I’m considering picking that one up as a replacement.

I’ve browsed through the Lite-On IT site (although I had to go to the “other regions” option to even find a product page for my current drive) to compare the specs of the two… the only actual difference in their specs seem to be the following points:

for my drive (SOHC-5235k):

• SMART-X Smart Monitoring & Adjusting Read-speed Technology for eXtraction.
  • ABS mechanism to reduce vibration & noise while high speed rotating.
  • Conforms to Orange Book Part 2, 3, Volume 2 : High Speed & MMC2 commands

for the newer one (SOHC-5236V):

• SMART-X function adjusts CD-DA / VCD / DVD data extraction to a fastest allowable speed according to both data request rate from host and disk quality.
  • ABSR mechanism to reduce vibration & noise while high speed rotating.
  • Conforms to Orange Book Part 2 Volume 2, 3 Part 3, Volume 1, 2 and 3 : High Speed & MMC3 commands.

Would any of these cause a perceivable difference in the performance of the drives. I’m guessing that the first point is probably just a differece of the way the SMART-X features is described… and both points probably have identical meaning. As for the second… is ABS and ABSR two difference techniques, or is one just a typo? And the third… I’m guessing that’s the only really significant change between them, but even in this case I’m assuming the additional standards the newer drive may conform to wouldn’t actually result in a difference anyone would notice.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Or a recommendation for a better combo drive I should consider?

I think for about 10 bucks more you can get a dvd writer like the 18A1P which will do all that and also write dvds too.

I’m already using an SHM-165H6S for DVD writing… I generally keep a combo in my system for CD burning, and to use as a DVD reader to avoid having to pop discs in and out when I’m going disc-to-disc.