Any difference between Mitsubishi/Verbatim made in Singapore vs. Taiwan?

Well, if you’re talking 8x discs, I have not heard of any inconsistencies. That’s mostly with 16x media from verbatim, I’ve not ever had a spindle of Verbatim that resulted in multiple coasters. Ever.

Some spindles measure with more errors than others, but they are all within spec. You just get fussy pots here @ cdfreaks complaining of 2000 PIF total when their last spindle only got 200 total per disc. Sometimes there may be genuine bad results with a batch, but this is usually rectified by burning slower - It’s amazing how many people insist on maximum speed burns.

You get people here who obsess far too much over “scans”. It’s not even a professional method of testing and it doesn’t predict longevity or playability very well at all.

Anyways, Verbatim 8x -R blows TYG02 out of the water when it comes to compatibility with players. TYG02 is overrated IMO, I also think T02 is overrated. It’s good media, it burns well and is very compatible, but there’s a massive amount of hype that has come from how it does in “quality scans”.

It’s up to you, but if you can get Verbatim cheaper than TY, you should go with that instead. Up to you really. Btw, TYG03 is said to be more compatible than TYG02, people perfer TYG02 once again just because of how it does in home made “quality tests”.

Good info!

My fear of ordering Verbs is that I’ll get the dicey lots coming out of India. I know that some of the MII Verb discs are quite decent but the media coming from Taiwan is usually better.

I’m basically a TRT guy and really don’t get into the quality scans either…

That’s good to hear. I also put emphasis on TRT. It’s more of a real world test.

MII is said to be more risky than MIT. I’ve personally never bothered with MII, I can’t find it where I live anyways. The risk of getting 8x MII is very low. They’ve made more 16X MII these days than they did with 8x. Most online sites will specify where they’re made and if you buy in real life, you can easily see if it’s MII or MIT.

TY media is good, don’t get me wrong, but if you find Verbatim substantially cheaper, it’s a better option for your money. My last three spindles of +R and -R Verbatim have shown great TRTs in all drives including the fussy ones, the scans are also very nice. If you burn @ a reasonable speed (8x is best), even the MII should work exceptionally.

MII Verbatim showing up in the US has been a fairly recent event and to my knowledge has never been sighted in inkjet printable media (speaking of the United States here). I agree 100% with cd pirate :iagree: that MCC 02RG20 is hard to beat for compatibility and batch consistency.

Thought I’d dig up this old thread as I recently came into possession of some Singapore-made MCC02RG20. I also have on hand the same MID made by CMC and Prodisc, so I can do a three-way comparison. I’ll be burning the same DVD video files on the discs using Nero 7.10.1.0 with my PX-716UF.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1921768]Thought I’d dig up this old thread as I recently came into possession of some Singapore-made MCC02RG20. I also have on hand the same MID made by CMC and Prodisc, so I can do a three-way comparison. I’ll be burning the same DVD video files on the discs using Nero 7.10.1.0 with my PX-716UF.[/QUOTE]

PM me a link to your results as I would love to see how they all compare. :slight_smile:

I’m finally ready for the scans. First will be the BIGAZO printable disc made in Taiwan by Prodisc.

Burner: PX-716UF TLA #0203
Firmware: 1.11
Media: Mitsubishi BIGAZO 8x DVD-R white inkjet hub printable
MID: MCC 02RG20
Stamper Code: ZD4763-DVR-I47C
Hub Serial: 6109E1163-04141W22
Burn Speed: 8x
AS: Auto
PR: On
Burning Software: Nero Burning ROM 7.10.1.0

Next up is the CMC-made disc.

Media: Verbatim 8x DVD-R white inkjet hub printable
Stamper Code: ZD4763-DVR-I47C
Hub Serial: MAH6B7KD54005164 5

Finally, the long awaited made-in-Singapore media tests!

Media: Verbatim 8x DVD-R white inkjet hub printable
Stamper Code: ZC9761-DVR-I47A
Hub Serial: WI4325IA141464

So, which is better? Honestly it’s pretty close between all three as they’re all good PIE/PIF scans and there were no issues with TRT (not posted). The CMC disc seems closer to the MKM one as I initially suspected, but to its credit the Prodisc media doesn’t have the same slight increase of PIE at the edge of the disc. CD Freaks, what are your opinions?

Lol, that was rather uneventful as they all seem very very nice.

There’s hardly enough difference between them all. I’d just keep the Singapore ones for rainy days since they’re so rare.

You can do some 16x scanning in the liteon to see which increases in errors the least? Perhaps that will shed some light on the subject. But seeing as they’re MCC02RG20, there’s a good chance they’ll all be good and hardly rise in errors.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1922777]Lol, that was rather uneventful as they all seem very very nice.

There’s hardly enough difference between them all. I’d just keep the Singapore ones for rainy days since they’re so rare.

You can do some 16x scanning in the liteon to see which increases in errors the least? Perhaps that will shed some light on the subject. But seeing as they’re MCC02RG20, there’s a good chance they’ll all be good and hardly rise in errors.[/QUOTE]

As requested, high-speed scans of the discs are below. They are as follows:

1. Prodisc
  2. CMC
  3. MKM

That shed some more light on the disc quality. The CMC-made disc didn’t fare too well but the others still look just fine.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1922769]Stamper Code: ZC9761-DVR-I47A[/QUOTE]

Interesting that the original MKM manufactured media uses different code to outsourced variants. :slight_smile:

[B]Two Degrees:[/B]

The CMC disc already showed some signs of increased errors in the BenQ 8x PIF scan, while the Lite-ON showed nothing. Do you have the Plextor PIF graph for comparison?

Wow that CMC one looks bad @ 16x scanning. Surely a TRT in that same Liteon would fail? Have you TRT’d with that Liteon?

[QUOTE=TL0;1922799]Two Degrees:

The CMC disc already showed some signs of increased errors in the BenQ 8x PIF scan, while the Lite-ON showed nothing. Do you have the Plextor PIF graph for comparison?[/QUOTE]

The PIF scan on the Plextor of the CMC-made disc doesn’t show any issues:

Not really, it’s just a matter of the Singapore discs being a much older batch. There were Prodisc-made and CMC-made discs with the ZC9xxx-DVR-147A stamper codes as well.

As requested, a TRT in my Lite-On drive of the CMC-made disc.

EDIT I had to make a correction, I posted the wrong TRT. Indeed this one does show a slowdown at the end of the disc. /EDIT

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1922874]Not really, it’s just a matter of the Singapore discs being a much older batch. There were Prodisc-made and CMC-made discs with the ZC9xxx-DVR-147A stamper codes as well.

As requested, a TRT in my Lite-On drive of the CMC-made disc, which shows no problems.[/QUOTE]

Weird… usually the high speed scan and TRT should correlate. Seeing as they don’t it’s safe to say there might not be any issues with that disc. If the TRT correlated and you got a failure, I’d be quite worried and personally would make another copy, if it’s something really important. Otherwise if it’s just a movie or something not that important I wouldn’t even care lol

See the correction to the above post, the HS scan and the TRT do correlate.

Ohhhh haha well that puts a new spin on things! You might have a problem there. Do they TRT ok on the BenQ or any other drives?

Btw what’s with the constant dips in the graph, are you multitasking plenty or has this disc got read back problems?