Any Difference between DVD-R media for Video and DVD-R for Data?

Hello. I am frustrated with the terms DVD-R media for video and DVD-R media for data. These terms happen to TDK and Mitsubishi products. The questions that I have is whether the labelled DVD-R media for video can be used for archiving data, and vice versa. If these two kinds of media are the same thing, why do they purposedly categorise the media as two different items. Does it mean that media for video is only CLV-compliant, while media for data is only CAV-compliant? Very welcome for your advice. Thanks!

Well no not really.
It’s the same for CDR’s, there are a lot of brands that do blank disks especially for music.
According to them the dye they use is better formulated to take music data better (i.e. to read large chunks at a slow speed rather than smaller chunks at random places at high speed).
The principle is the same for DVDR’s for video.
If there is any difference is up to the individual to decide (personally, I cant tell the diffrence with music and data CDR’s).
My advice is to try 1 or 2 and see if there is any improvement in playback and if there is then can you live with your video’s on just “Normal” DVDR’s?

Originally posted by cswong

If these two kinds of media are the same thing,
why do they purposedly categorise the media as two different items.

Does it mean that media for video is only CLV-compliant, while media for data is only CAV-compliant?

Yes, Data=Video and vice versa.
Sales gimmick.

Both are CLV-compliant.