Any correlation btw PI/PIF and DVD rot?

vbimport

Hi,

I’m new to DVD-writing and recently bought a Lite-on 812s. Thanks to Code guys, I’m now running a 812s@832s using VS0A.
My previous burns with AN31 media were horrible

• max PI = 1153, Average PI = 541.50
  • max PIF = 114, Average PIF = 2.52

Recently I bought some HP DVD+Rs, CMC-MAG media - and they burn much better.

• max PI = 12, Average PI = 2.42
  • max PIF = 2, Average PIF = 0.00

both discs have purple burnable bottoms.

What I’m wondering is, is there any relation between the error rates in a burned DVD and the duration of the DVD’s life (i.e. before it “rots”?).

Thankfully, my Lite-on 812s@832s reads both the AN31 and CMC-MAG discs fine. The same cannot beside about my standalone DVD-player though - the AN31s are horrible.

Thanks for your help.

The color of the bottom of the Disks or Dye, have no bearing on if they are the same Manufactor or that they will burn well.

What I’m wondering is, is there any relation between the error rates in a burned DVD and the duration of the DVD’s life (i.e. before it “rots”?).

Common thought is that PI/PIFs will gradually become higher the longer the lifespan. So a high error disk does have a greater tendency to become unreadable sooner than a low error one.

Thankfully, my Lite-on 812s@832s reads both the AN31 and CMC-MAG discs fine. The same cannot beside about my standalone DVD-player though - the AN31s are horrible.

Thanks for your help.

I would not use your AN31 disks for any critical backup purposes. They will most likely be unreadable withen a year or two. CMC recently has improved thier quality and they work real well with the Liteon 812. Once again, I stress that quality media means more than what type of DVD burner you are using.