Any chance of a Linux version of the Flash Utility

vbimport

Is there any chance of a linux version as the plds dg-16d2s liteon drive using benq firmware does not recognize with windows or dos but works perfectly fine under linux as a generic drive?

I would so much love to try this under linux where I am not at the mercy of Microsoft telling me what drive I can and cant use on my computer.

ps drive also recognizes 100% with the startup routine and in bios and can be probed for a drive revision by 3rd party apps (with the exception of no vendor id), but windows and this program just ignore it.

BTW great work on the program so far!

msn is my signup email if you wish for help or beta testing on this.

This is why I want it:

http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?topic=9647.160

:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=LittleJonny;2113964]This is why I want it:

http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?topic=9647.160

:P[/QUOTE]

hi johnny :smiley: hows it going.

anyway, there is a distinct possibilitie that i will have a spare drive (the 360 liteon) by next week, availible for either testing or sending to those with the relevant knowledge :smiley:

i`ll post back either here or on hacker, just waiting for a drive to swap it out with if you know what i mean.

hey cheeky, seems your everywhere an un-hacked 360 drive is! haha:iagree:

Points to note in a nutshell about standard 360 lite-on PC probing (not inc plscsi probing):

1. The drive (with some messing around) will work under Linux, you can even boot Linux with the drive. I have personally tested both Slax 2.1 and Ubuntu Hardy.

2. The drive (with some messing around) will recognize and ID itself correctly both in the BIOS and startup screen for windows.

3. When using Linux you can use the drive as a standard generic CD ROM (DVD untested, but i will assume it works). You can even use the drive to boot up slax 2.1 in the first place. Standard GUI Hardy Linux probing does not give me any more information on the drive. I have not tested terminal probing.

4. I have tested the drive to hold an active state as a fully functional PC boot drive through multiple boots and even moving it from one PC to another without killing its personal PSU.

5. In the active state, DosFlash 1.4 under windows will recognize the drive with the correct model and FW revision, however errors out on vendor ID if you choose not to poll the drive. Polling will obviously not work, because once you switch the drive off, then you will loose its active state…and the active state needs to be done at the time of boot up. I have not yet tried to use 2 computers for this process to hotswap on startup (this would be very hit and miss and risky if it did work…I am thinking about it).

6. In the active state flash utility does not see the drive at all.

[I]…This is a re-post from what i posted on xboxhacker.net, I’ve been following the thread several times a day there for weeks and one of the admins are systematically deleting any relevent post about advancement that they can find (not just mine, many others) and only leaving the crap that is common knowledge…:a

I hope that this forum holds more integrity than xbox hacker, i am tired of having posts deleted and then re-posted months later under the name of an admin with no credit to my work.:flower:[/I]

[B][U]
I have hardware, I have drives and i have the soldering skills of the gods…so feel free to ask for any help or beta testing. :D[/U][/B]

The drive does not respond to the standard inquiry cdb 12 00 00 00 xx 00, but only to the xbox360 specific 12 00 00 00 xx C0.
It does not respond to liteon specific 12 00 00 00 xx 40 which should the way this flash utility gets info about flashID.
It does not respond to liteon vendor specific DF cmd to dump fw, which i’ve seen this utility use (don’t know if for all liteons).

BUT

It responds to
FD xx 42 45 4E 51 (where 42454E51 is ascii “BENQ”)

So, the question to post to this respectable forum is very quick and simple:

Does anyone knows if there is a philips/liteon/benq which accepts atapi FD cmd?

[I]one of the admins are systematically deleting any relevent post about advancement that they can find (not just mine, many others) and only leaving the crap that is common knowledge…:a

it’s me, and i use to delete already answered questions, bullshits, OT, and take only the technical relevant truth.

I have hardware, I have drives and i have the soldering skills of the gods…so feel free to ask for any help or beta testing.

Everyone out here would like to have someone that tells what to do.

Spillage from another forum…

Yes, somewhat. But I was actually hoping to pick up the research on this forum due to the information censorship on the other forum.]

@Geramia: According to your standards, you need to delete your post.:eek:

[SIZE=4]Back on topic:

@ C0deKing:

Do you think it would it be useful to load in a generic cd/dvd rom driver (like that used to make the drive run under linux?

I have no idea how it works, so I thought best to ask the auther.

[/SIZE]

LittleJonny and Geramia. Let’s keep it friendly please. I don’t see any reason to carry on your differences here.

In reply to your posts, sorry but I don’t know anything about 360 drives or Linux, so I’m afraid there will not be a Linux version of any of my tools, but from other peoples experiences most of the tools work under wine:

This was a solution given to me by seeker010, which allowed him to run my flashers under Linux:

1. update to latest wine from distro repositories
  2. add “chmod +rw /dev/sg?” in the /etc/rc.local file
  3. download frogaspi and copy it to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/wnaspi32.dll
  4. [sudo chown ~/.wine to root] (in case the programs complain about rights issues)
  5. then start the flasher with [sudo] wine flasher.exe (in case program complains about rights issues)
  6. [sudo chown ~/.wine back to user]

The things in [] only need to be used if the program complained about rights issues. They don’t have to be used with fedora 8, but fedora 7 complains about it (step 2 may also avoid the need for these).

Posts moved to a new thread. :wink:

[quote=C0deKing;2115835]LittleJonny and Geramia. Let’s keep it friendly please. I don’t see any reason to carry on your differences here.

In reply to your posts, sorry but I don’t know anything about 360 drives or Linux, so I’m afraid there will not be a Linux version of any of my tools, but from other peoples experiences most of the tools work under wine:

This was a solution given to me by seeker010, which allowed him to run my flashers under Linux:

1. update to latest wine from distro repositories
  2. add “chmod +rw /dev/sg?” in the /etc/rc.local file
  3. download frogaspi and copy it to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/wnaspi32.dll
  4. [sudo chown ~/.wine to root] (in case the programs complain about rights issues)
  5. then start the flasher with [sudo] wine flasher.exe (in case program complains about rights issues)
  6. [sudo chown ~/.wine back to user]

The things in [] only need to be used if the program complained about rights issues. They don’t have to be used with fedora 8, but fedora 7 complains about it (step 2 may also avoid the need for these).

Posts moved to a new thread. ;)[/quote]

THANKYOU!!!:clap:

I will try this, and report back.

About the bickering…I am very sorry, i sometimes act irrational when I am frustrated.:o