Any better rippers than DVDFab?

vbimport

Okay I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for ripping programs that work better than DVDFab.

Every rip I’ve done in the past week has had the audio and video out of sync. I am ripping to iPad format. Ripping DVDs and Blu Ray discs. Every SINGLE one of em has the audio and video out of sync.

When I search forums for help, all I see is that they’ll tell people to use the latest version. That doesn’t help me. This issue has persisted for quite a while.

Will it get fixed?

If it helps, this also happens to me when ripping to PS3 format.

You are using the term “ripping” incorrectly. Yes, I know that DVDFab uses the term to describe two sections of their software for making various kinds of video out of dvds and blu ray, but they are using it incorrectly too. And they’ve been told this!! And still persist.

Ripping is moving data from the optical drive to the hard drive. That’s it. You will not get any audio/video synchronization problems from this process.

Making different kinds of video out of dvd and blu ray sources is called CONVERSION. And I do not recommend DVDFab for any type of conversion process.

You would be better off using DVDFab to decrypt and RIP the movies to your hard drive. Then use some well known, free CONVERSION programs to put them into other formats. Take a look at Handbrake and Ripbot264 for this type of thing. Or if you are starting with a blu ray source, you can also use BD Rebuilder in Alternate Movie output mode to make mkv or mp4 files. These three programs will work well for H264 encoding. If you need xvid avi files for some reason, you might try Xvid4PSP (though it is much more versatile than its name states and it can work with H264 also).

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2625132][B]DVDFab uses the term to describe two sections of their software for making various kinds of video out of dvds and blu ray, but they are using it incorrectly too. And they’ve been told this!![/B][/QUOTE]

@Kerry

:iagree: Yeah!! I pointed it out when they made the changed from DVD to Mobile. :rolleyes:

@hogger129

The programs Kerry suggested are very good and will do the job and will be your best bet :iagree: although I do have DVDFab’s DVD Copy and DVD Ripper( :rolleyes: ), for all my conversions I use Magic DVD Ripper which has both ripping and conversion abilities.

[B]SJ[/B]

I’ve also played with DVDFab’s Ripper section & tried some conversions from there.
None worked as they were suposed to. If DVDFab is going to offer conversion from this area they really need to fix it .
I have the lifetime Platinum on the DVD Copy & DVD Ripper . When I got this I thought I was getting it all but as DVDFab got larger they broke it up into more sections. They now sell seperately. They’re in China so I’m not going to try & sue them over it . I wish I had printed out there site web page from when I got Platinum to show what they seemed to be selling. But I didn’t.
A little venting there. I do think that what is supposed to work should work .

I already used the trial on the Video Converter section quite a while back but I don’t remember it working correctly either.

I usually do my rips with AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 combination . These are not supposed to do any conversion & work as they’re supposed to. DVDFab is my backup for when those don’t work . Sometime neither works & I have to wait for an update.

There are a lot of conversion programs Kerry56 posted a couple .
To those you might add AutoGK , AVIDemux , or even Gordian Knot by itself .
Last even Format Factory . All those are freeware .

[QUOTE=cholla;2625170]I’ve also played with DVDFab’s Ripper section & tried some conversions from there.
None worked as they were suposed to. If DVDFab is going to offer conversion from this area they really need to fix it .
I have the lifetime Platinum on the DVD Copy & DVD Ripper . When I got this I thought I was getting it all but as DVDFab got larger they broke it up into more sections. They now sell seperately. They’re in China so I’m not going to try & sue them over it . I wish I had printed out there site web page from when I got Platinum to show what they seemed to be selling. But I didn’t.
A little venting there. I do think that what is supposed to work should work .

I already used the trial on the Video Converter section quite a while back but I don’t remember it working correctly either.

I usually do my rips with AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 combination . These are not supposed to do any conversion & work as they’re supposed to. DVDFab is my backup for when those don’t work . Sometime neither works & I have to wait for an update.

There are a lot of conversion programs Kerry56 posted a couple .
To those you might add AutoGK , AVIDemux , or even Gordian Knot by itself .
Last even Format Factory . All those are freeware .[/QUOTE]

I personally have had no problems with DVDFab’s DVD to Mobile/Ripper but then again only used a few profiles, ever since their change to the QT environment the issues for some users don’t seem to get fixed.

As for the lifetime registration goes I too have the same and was not happy either on the Platinum statement, however I do understand that my lifetime registration for the Platinum was only good for the life of that product(DVDFab Platinum) which was discontinued(thus end of life) but at least Fengtao did honor the lifetime reg key for both DVD to DVD/DVD Copy and DVD to Mobile/Ripper.

[B]SJ[/B]
P.S Just my .02¢ :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2625177] I do understand that my lifetime registration for the Platinum was only good for the life of that product(DVDFab Platinum) which was discontinued(thus end of life) .
[/QUOTE]

I have always disagreed with the above analysis of lifetime of a product.
My analysis is lifetime of a product is as long as I own the product .

Like car parts warranties . I’ve replaced a lot of brake pads the second or third time with a lifetime warranty.

With the first analogy I could create a software .Sell as many lifetime copies as I could . Then end the life of the product & no longer support it.
That would mean I could do this in a year or even less. Take the money & run so to speak.
To me that would be breach of contract.

I know Fengtao has continued support & that is as it should be.

Honestly I didn’t keep a copy of the original EULA either but should have to see if it had the life of that product exclusion. It may have.
I know on the site it didn’t have any information like as soon as the “the life of that product” ended so did the lifetime registration that was paid for.

Like Craftsman tools if I take in a 40 year old tool they will do their best to replace it with the same or similar tool. That is a real lifetime warranty.
I have actually done this . I didn’t get the we have ended the life of that product so you no longer have a lifetime warranty.

That is my 2 cents worth.

[QUOTE=cholla;2625198]I have always disagreed with the above analysis of lifetime of a product.
My analysis is [B]lifetime of a product is as long as I own the product .[/B]
Like car parts warranties . I’ve replaced a lot of brake pads the second or third time with a lifetime warranty.

With the first analogy I could create a software .Sell as many lifetime copies as I could . Then end the life of the product & no longer support it.
That would mean I could do this in a year or even less. Take the money & run so to speak.
To me that would be breach of contract.

I know Fengtao has continued support & that is as it should be.

Honestly I didn’t keep a copy of the original EULA either but should have to see if it had the life of that product exclusion. It may have.
I know on the site it didn’t have any information like as soon as the “the life of that product” ended so did the lifetime registration that was paid for.

Like Craftsman tools if I take in a 40 year old tool they will do their best to replace it with the same or similar tool. That is a real lifetime warranty.
I have actually done this . I didn’t get the we have ended the life of that product so you no longer have a lifetime warranty.

That is my 2 cents worth.[/QUOTE]

The above in bold would be correct however for a software product there is a gray area, if a software has been discontinued then the life cycle of that software/product is stops and no action can be taken against an author for not keeping a product updated that they no longer offer in their product line, as for you owning the product for your lifetime goes you are still able to use the last release version of DVDFab Platinum and your lifetime reg key does still work for that product and will for as long as you want (meaning your lifetime)

Tis just my .02¢

Always an interesting debate on this .
I know this is what software authors say that they can not be held liable for a discontinued software.

Do you know if this has ever been tested in court ?

Specifically on a paid version of a software where a lifetime key with lifetime updates was purchased.

This could just be something that if repeated enough people accept it.

Of course actually suing a Chinese company would be a problem all by itself I think .
The legal expense (which might be uncompensated) would far outweigh the value of the software. Getting the court summons served in China would be a trick all by itself.
Much less getting it enforced.

Well to be honest I doubt seking a legal action on such an issue wouldn’t be worth it in any country.

The thing is business policies and/or business tactics constantly change to a company’s needs to ensure a continuous cash return on their product, although some company’s do what some see as not right…(example)… DVDFab HD Decrypter was updated at time the paid version was but that changed because most users of the free version didn’t feel the needs to buy so the 90 day lag in updates was put in placed course most of those users learned to live with that now a DVDFab watermark is placed on all backups done with the free version :frowning: which is nothing more then a business tactic to get more buyers.

Don’t get me wrong Fengtao has a great product and I use it most of the time, the statement above is just my opinion and .02¢ on your question and nothing more.

[B]SJ[/B]

The lag in time seemed fair to me & I have no problem with a company making there paid version more attractive.
I didn’t know about the watermark but I think it is a bit much.
It kind of abuses those that need a free version but I guess that’s the way it is.
You are probably right about not being worth it in any country .
Only a local company might be worth it in a small claims court .

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2625229]
…now a DVDFab watermark is placed on all backups done with the free version…[/QUOTE]

[B]Whoa! [/B]

When did this start? Has there been an announcement for this? The only thing I recommend DVDFab for is the free section, but they may have lost the last bit of those endorsements with this development!

In a small claims court it may still not be worth the trouble, most likely the award if any may only consist of the price you paid for the product and may attorney’s fee.

Anyway been nice chatting with you on this my friend. :smiley:

Enjoy the rest of your weekend at least whats left of it. :flower:

[B]SJ[/B]

Sorry for causing a crap storm guys. It seems I was not doing it correctly. After a short Google search, I figured out how to decrypt and rip the movie to my hard drive using the “Blu Ray Copy” option and then create my conversion to iPad format from that, rather than from my external Blu Ray drive. Kerry was right about the delay between the devices. So far all the ones ripped to my HD and then converted have been 100%. Thank you for the help.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2625251]Sorry for causing a crap storm guys. It seems I was not doing it correctly. After a short Google search, I figured out how to decrypt and rip the movie to my hard drive using the “Blu Ray Copy” option and then create my conversion to iPad format from that, rather than from my external Blu Ray drive. Kerry was right about the delay between the devices. So far all the ones ripped to my HD and then converted have been 100%. Thank you for the help.[/QUOTE]

No problem you didn’t start anything bad we was just carrying on a conversation waiting for you to jump in :bigsmile:

Yeah if you are going to convert to another format it’s always best to rip to hard drive and do the conversion from the HDDand not the optical drive especially a external drive because there are a few factors that can and will cause unwanted issues.

[B]SJ [/B]

Yep just a friendly debate between friends.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2625236][B]Whoa! [/B]

When did this start? Has there been an announcement for this? The only thing I recommend DVDFab for is the free section, but they may have lost the last bit of those endorsements with this development![/QUOTE]

I have a computer with the free version on it . I usually don’t use it for ripping but I’m going to test to see what the watermark looks like. If it’s very noticeable I won’t be recommending DVDFab free either.
There are a couple of free versions of new alternatives I’ve seen on the forum that can basically do the same.

I’m going to test to see what the watermark looks like

So does that mean the free version will always re-encode? What a waste. Especially since most new DVDs can be done with Shrink alone. Seems the studios want to put their DRM money into BluRay these days.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2625236][B]Whoa! [/B]

When did this start? Has there been an announcement for this? The only thing I recommend DVDFab for is the free section, but they may have lost the last bit of those endorsements with this development![/QUOTE]

Hey Kerry

Sorry you seem to have slipped in without me noticing you. :doh:

Not sure when they started this because didn’t see anything in the change logs, but to verify what I said here is a recent conversation on it with one member we all know…

@Cholla

You’ll find Magic DVD Ripper has everything the Platinum had but with a built-in profile editor plus no sync issues on conversion. :wink: course it has no burn function but hey if your like me you prefer ImgBurn for that.

Oh!! No custom mode but does have the split function. :wink:

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2625299]Hey Kerry

Sorry you seem to have slipped in without me noticing you. :doh:

Not sure when they started this because didn’t see anything in the change logs, but to verify what I said here is a recent conversation on it with one member we all know…
[/QUOTE]

Those quotes are taken out of context so it’s probably best if I clarify this.

The watermark has been there for a long time now (since version 7 I think).

If you convert or compress the video with the trial version it’ll insert a watermark which is visible on-screen as the DVDFab logo (at certain points during playback).

The watermark is encoded into the video when transcoding so the free ripping component is unaffected and you [U]won’t[/U] get the watermark if you’re just ripping discs.

So the freeware ripping component is not affected by this.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler . I’m still going to check it out on my old computer .
The thing is I still had version 6 on it as I rarely use it to rip anymore .
I installed the latest version of 8QT but it has a new trial period also.
I’m doing a full copy right now with it so it activates the trial but will
have to wait for next month to check the watermark. After the trial expires.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2625337]Those quotes are taken out of context so it’s probably best if I clarify this.

The watermark has been there for a long time now (since version 7 I think).

If you convert or compress the video with the trial version it’ll insert a watermark which is visible on-screen as the DVDFab logo (at certain points during playback).

The watermark is encoded into the video when transcoding so the free ripping component is unaffected and you [U]won’t[/U] get the watermark if you’re just ripping discs.

So the freeware ripping component is not affected by this.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Interesting thanks for that info I personally think the use of the watermark in the trial period is wrong considering it’s suppose to be fully functional with nothing more or nothing less then the paid version, but never the less… it was just used as an example to point out business tactics used by software authors.

[B]SJ[/B]