Any aware of this new model, LG GSA-E10L

vbimport

I just went to the IT MALL, and i could not find the 2166-D, but the Sales person directed me to this model, GSA-E10L,and i was not sure about this model, but he was right when he said that this model is not even on the LG Website of Malaysia, anyone here have used the LG GSA - E10L, its still new so i just came back. I have not found the 2166-D. But the specifications for the E10L where a little more superior to the lay man like me where in buyinng DVD Writers, I’m still a virgin that field.

Please help, thanking you in advanced, what do you know about this model.

its a new model

I’ve heard someone mention the model number before, but without any details. I am guessing that this drive is the external version of the H10N. From what the guy in the shop told you, does this drive have 12x DVD-RAM support? I ask because that is one feature that makes the H10N distinct from most of LG’s other models.

Yes it is a new drive. It is not even on LG’s WEB site yet.

I just picked up a LG GSA-H10L which is an internal drive. the GSA-E10L is the external version of the H10L. They both have LightScribe and have a DVD-RAM speed of 12X. I think the H10N has all the same specs minus the LightScribe feature.

Is it normal for LG to release new drives in the stores and not have any information on there WEB site.

Rich

Once you mess with the Region Code, that will destroy the Warranty of the product, right?

I think this is the should be the one, how do you find this model, do you like it, how is the burning, and have you tried the lightscribing on the cd. I heard you need get a special cd for doing the burning.

The main question is that I am going to buy this E10L today or should just keep on looking for 2166-D

The Verdict: Should I buy the Writer or Just get 2164-d? Price wises it only 30dollars differrence E10L is 350rm and 2164-d is 320rm

Easy choice then.

oh brother, so are you saying that I should just buy the E10L, Please be very direct, I am very daft…

E10L - is still very new,
2164-D - It tested alot

So you are just saying i should just get the E10L. I really appreciate your feedback.

If you use third party firmware to make the drive region free, yes. There is another way - use software like AnyDVD to defeat the region protection. That won’t invalidate the warranty of the drive. Of course, the software costs money though.

If I were you, I’d get the E10L. From what I understand, I prefer the chipset it is based on. I suspect it will be a better burner in the long run.

The only draw back is that it is so new that there is no region free firmware for it yet. So you will have to either use software to defeat the region protection first, or wait until region free firmware appears.

Thanks karangguni, I will definitely take your word of advice, I have high respect for you in this, and I am sure our Dangerous brothers will have a new task at hand. For cracking this E10L, region free firmware.

I am still very vague on the this region protection area. So if want to burn data dvds what region should that be burnt under?

I would be most probably going on either Friday or Saturday, Once I do guys i will take pictures of it, and i will start a new thread on it, and hope to learn more about DVD burning tips from our Masters her in the club cd-freaks forum. Especially from experience members like Karangguni and Kenshin

Hope this helps.

Specs:
Manufactured: May 2006 in South Korea
ROM version: LE05

Write (max):

• DVD+R: 16x
  • DVD+RW: 8x
  • DVD+R Double Layer: 10x
  • DVD-R Dual Layer: 16x
  • DVD-R: 16x
  • DVD-RW: 6x
  • DVD-RAM: 12x
  • CD-R: 48x
  • CD-RW: 32x

Read (max):

• DVD-ROM: 16x
  • DVD-RW: 13x
  • DVD-R Dual Layer: 12x
  • CD-ROM: 48x

Lightscribe:

• Pix. rez: 600 [DPI]
  • Track rez: 500-1070 [TPI]
  • Linear Velocity: 0.25 - 1.40 [m/sec]
  • Color: Monochrome

Data Transfer Rate:

• CD(max): 7.2 MB/s
  • DVD(max): 22.16 MB/s

Average Access Time:

• CD: 125 msec
  • DVD-ROM: 145 msec
  • DVD-RAM: 270 msec

Software:

• Nero Express
  • Nero BackItUp
  • Nero Cover Designer
  • InCD
  • PowerProducer
  • PowerDVD

Min. Requirements:

• Windows 2000 SP4 +
  • P III 800 +
  • USB 2
  • RAM: 256 +
  • VRAM: 64 +
  • DirectX 9 +
  • HDD: 20GB + of available space

Karangguni, need to update the FAQ Q1, Q5? - the Exx is new.
i’d like to take this opportunity to commend you for your work on the FAQ :clap:

Generally the way most firmware patchers operate is that they need the firmware in a file form in order to be able to patch it. With some drives there are tools to extract the firmware from the drive itself inot a file but these tools don’t seem to exist for LG writers. The only alternative is to wait till LG releases a firmware update (which of course comes as a file) on its service websites for this drive. Only then will they be able to work on a region free version.

So when LG releases their first firmware update for the E10L, just ask TDB for a region free version. They are great guys and they post here quite often. Just ask nicely they will probably have a crack at a region free version of the firmware.

Region protection only applies for DVD movie discs. For all other types of DVD burning jobs, it does not play a part at all.

I do have to update that thing, but I generally wait until I have enough changes to be made in general, then do it one shot.

The FAQ itself is really a collection of the information of the various posters on the forum itself. I just collected and organised it. They did all the research and testing and provided the real knowledge. It’s one of the nice things bout a forum - the ability to collect a lot of information from many users in various places. It just needed some sort of order in all the chaos, so I provided an index page.

Thanks! Useful stuff and probably what most users are looking for.

Now then, did I see that right? 16x DVD-R DL writing speed?!!

Glad you cought that – the correct speed DVD-R Dual Layer is [B]6x[/B]. I double checked the rest of the specs and they are correct. So corrected version:

Specs:
Manufactured: May 2006 in South Korea
ROM version: LE05
Model: GSA-E10L (it’s an external USB 2 drive)

Write (max):

• DVD+R: 16x
  • DVD+RW: 8x
  • DVD+R Double Layer: 10x
  • DVD-R Dual Layer: 6x
  • DVD-RW: 6x
  • DVD-RAM: 12x
  • CD-R: 48x
  • CD-RW: 32x

Read (max):

• DVD-ROM: 16x