Antivrus 2010

vbimport

Not to change the subject, but has anybody ever heard of ‘antivirus 2010’ ?
I was doing a little music searching and this thing popped up and told me my 'puter was compromised. It then went on to try to convince me to download this tool that would remove the infection. Who knows what this is ? I didn’t follow on it…

Sounds like malware. A scam to get you to download their unnecessary virus scanner.

If you are worried about a virus that your normal AV program hasn’t caught, you can go to Kaspersky or Nod32 websites and do a complete scan of your system for free. Takes a while.

But the warning you got from “antivirus 2010” sounds bogus to me.

Yo-
Antivirus 2010 is one bad - vicious - program:

Suggest staying far - far away from it-eh!!

It the same thing as Antivirus 2008/ 2009. I sure hope you did a virus scan afterwards to be safe.

go to www.bleepingcomputer.com and it has instructions on how to remove this malware-click on spyware removal. You can try and download mbam from their site and follow the instructions. good luck. you can download mbam from www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php Its free to use and you do not have to buy this program to remove malware.

slightly off the subject but if your using Firefox as your web browser i would recommend installing the extension called ‘adblock plus’ as with that it will help block a high percentage of popup ads etc.

Thanks- Was sure this was something that I don’t need. Must admit it has some pretty convincing logos and illustrations, though. Already have Malwarebytes for the scan, but I will check out the links you guys provided for further protection. CD FREAKS RULES !!!
Hey Mike, how’s that quad working out for you?

Malwarebytes is all you typically need to get rid of this one. I remove variations of this Rogue Antivirus 2-3 times a week from peoples computers. Just make sure you update Malwarebytes before you run it and then run Full scan and a quick scan after to make sure its all gone.

Make sure the corresponding folders are gone from program files and make sure startup looks good under msconfig.

[QUOTE=Intensity;2184901]Malwarebytes is all you typically need to get rid of this one. I remove variations of this Rogue Antivirus 2-3 times a week from peoples computers. Just make sure you update Malwarebytes before you run it and then run Full scan and a quick scan after to make sure its all gone.

Make sure the corresponding folders are gone from program files and make sure startup looks good under msconfig.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again. Did one full scan. Will do another including the quick scan.