Antivirus program

vbimport

I wish to know the members’ opinion regarding the BEST antivirus there is on the market. Of course it will have to incorporate email protection, anti spam, etc, etc. I am tired of McAfee, too many problems and a huge amount of time trying to solve them. I would appreciate your help

Thanks
Lino

Back when I was using a commercial anti-virus, Kaspersky was my choice. It still ranks as one of the very best.

These days, I just use Microsoft MSE (certainly not as good as many of the commercial AV programs) and am careful in my browsing habits. And I keep an up-to-date image of my system which can be reinstalled in very short order.

I use AVAST, it is free, also has a commercial version, have used it for years with no problems (knock wood)

Marty

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2725586]Back when I was using a commercial anti-virus, Kaspersky was my choice. It still ranks as one of the very best.

These days, I just use Microsoft MSE (certainly not as good as many of the commercial AV programs) and am careful in my browsing habits. And I keep an up-to-date image of my system which can be reinstalled in very short order.[/QUOTE]

I use and loaded MSE on all my laptops and family computers and browse all sites and so far have no problems. Plus it’s free and makes the Windows Update set to auto update if the user forgets to turn on the Windows Update something those other A/V programs can’t do. I certainly think MSE is good or better then the paid A/V programs also it isn’t bloatware compared to another one I won’t name. Also a side note those big paid A/V programs seems to be the target of Virus/malware attacks more often which would in-sense make them less able to perform and more susceptible to attacks since they have become bigger targets. Which would make using them also risky as well.

I thank you all for your quick replies. McAfee is getting on my nerves and trying to connect with them is a lesson in futility. You get nowhere. Please Kerry56 can you indicate to me how I can keep an image of my system, just in case (you ever know what happens)
Thanks
Lino

I use Avast Free ,MBAM (free), Spywareblaster(on some of my OS’s) & SpyBot S&D on others. On my Windows 7 laptop I use all 4.
I’ve also added CryptoPrevent .
Reguardless of what the author says CryptoPrevent causes a warning in my EventViewer (Vista OS) when I shutdown. It is sort of like a false positive so no real concern. It didn’t do it before so I used a fresh backup image to test this with from before I used CryptoPrevent . The warning went away. Just the “Undo” feature didn’t fix this. That being said I decided to use CryptoPrevent & live with the warning. I just regularly “clean” my Event Viewer.
It also doesn’t hurt to let CCleaner take out the trash regularly.
For the Backup images I use Acronis but I have an old version of Norton Ghost which used to work fine but I haven’t tested it on newer OS’s. I’m sure there are others that are also good.
One member here swears by CloneZilla & makes clones to a seperate harddrive in addition to images.

[QUOTE=linogatt;2725585]I wish to know the members’ opinion regarding the BEST antivirus there is on the market. Of course it will have to incorporate email protection, anti spam, etc, etc. I am tired of McAfee, too many problems and a huge amount of time trying to solve them. I would appreciate your help

Thanks
Lino[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
Take a look here…

[QUOTE=linogatt;2725621]I thank you all for your quick replies. McAfee is getting on my nerves and trying to connect with them is a lesson in futility. You get nowhere. Please Kerry56 can you indicate to me how I can keep an image of my system, just in case (you ever know what happens)
Thanks
Lino[/QUOTE]

Try…
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

[QUOTE=linogatt;2725621]I thank you all for your quick replies. McAfee is getting on my nerves and trying to connect with them is a lesson in futility. You get nowhere. Please Kerry56 can you indicate to me how I can keep an image of my system, just in case (you ever know what happens)
Thanks
Lino[/QUOTE]

Not Kerry56 here but for me I use Acronis Home Image program that runs off a CD and that creates a image of my HDD onto another HDD separate from the main HDD and that should the main fail I just reboot the image back onto the main HDD to restore the drive back. But remember your data/files you created should also be backup to another storage area as well to prevent data failures.

I just do an image of my operating system drive. The two main hard drive manufacturers, Seagate and Western Digital, offer free versions of Acronis True Imaging software. If you have a hard drive from either of them on your system, you can use this software to make backups. These versions do lack some features of the full version of Acronis, but should be adequate for most.

Remember to put the image on another hard drive, and make a bootable optical disc with the program in case of emergencies.

ESET NOD32 is very good and uses less computer resources than most other.

I have to agree about Microsoft Security Essentials. I have been using it along with Windows Firewall, SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes on Windows 7 x 2 machines, Windows 8.1 x 1 machine for years. Funny thing though I could not install it on my Windows Server 2011, had to use Clamwin.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2725649]I just do an image of my operating system drive. The two main hard drive manufacturers, Seagate and Western Digital, offer free versions of Acronis True Imaging software. If you have a hard drive from either of them on your system, you can use this software to make backups. These versions do lack some features of the full version of Acronis, but should be adequate for most.

Remember to put the image on another hard drive, and make a bootable optical disc with the program in case of emergencies.[/QUOTE]

This is what I use for my image backup…and works great to restore should I replace the drive it expands to fit it and when it is done reboot.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2725690]I have to agree about Microsoft Security Essentials. I have been using it along with Windows Firewall, SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes on Windows 7 x 2 machines, Windows 8.1 x 1 machine for years. Funny thing though I could not install it on my Windows Server 2011, had to use Clamwin.[/QUOTE]

That could be the limit of MSE is that it doesn’t work on M$ Server O/S. Then most use the regular version of Windows O/S. They might have something else for Server O/S but you would have contact M$ and ask them. Or they are making one for Server O/S but it isn’t released.

Been using Avast free version for years, nowadays it’s a bit bloated but still works fine. Keep in mind it doesn’t like dropbox that much, been struggling with incompatibilities the last 6 months or so.

MS SE is also fine, have used it also. I haven’t been using a paid version since Norton back in the days it was not an OS by itself.

I too have used Avast for years. The paid version at work and the free version at home.

Whilst, as Hemispasm has noted above, it’s become a bit bloated in recent times, it is still one of the few anti-virus programs, if not the only one, that allows you to do a boot scan from within the program and, in my view, because a boot scan enables virus/trojan removal before they get loaded with windows, that function is more important than almost all other features of anti-virus programs. On most of the rare occasions that any of my systems have been infected, removal has been possible only with a boot scan.

I use the boot scan feature of Avast also.
So maybe the people that use other antivirus software can post if their’s has this feature.

I do use one other anitvirus software . I don’t run it as active on my os .
It’s easy just uncheck it from msconfig start up or from Services set as manual if you use “normal start up”.
I use this one in Safe mode & it sometimes finds other possible problem files. These can be false positives .
It is Emsisoft Anti-Malware the free version. This company used to be A-Squared.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2725935]Been using Avast free version for years, nowadays it’s a bit bloated but still works fine.[/QUOTE]

This is the loop hole malware and virus look for in A/V programs. Once they force past the bloat the program becomes worthless. Bloated A/V is the A/V worst enemies…and viruses best new friend and pal…

Dear sirs and ladies: I have been working with Pure (kaspersky) for many years, but i could experiment by myself that it didnt protect my PC against a lot of trojans, malware and virus…:confused:
So, I consulted some security pros and they told me: there is none of the programs (free or commercial ) that protects u 100%… but the best are or Avast Internet security or Avira Internet securty.
Since i use Avira i had not any other troubles…:clap:
Have nice days.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2725618]I use and loaded MSE on all my laptops and family computers and browse all sites and so far have no problems. Plus it’s free and makes the Windows Update set to auto update if the user forgets to turn on the Windows Update something those other A/V programs can’t do. I certainly think MSE is good or better then the paid A/V programs also it isn’t bloatware compared to another one I won’t name. Also a side note those big paid A/V programs seems to be the target of Virus/malware attacks more often which would in-sense make them less able to perform and more susceptible to attacks since they have become bigger targets. Which would make using them also risky as well.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=chesstango;2726212]Dear sirs and ladies: I have been working with Pure (kaspersky) for many years, but i could experiment by myself that it didnt protect my PC against a lot of trojans, malware and virus…:confused:
So, I consulted some security pros and they told me: there is none of the programs (free or commercial ) that protects u 100%… but the best are or Avast Internet security or Avira Internet securty.
Since i use Avira i had not any other troubles…:clap:
Have nice days.[/QUOTE]

A very unscientific consultant is what I call this. You said none are best but you just did a reverse contradiction here. Oh and your consultant probably didn’t inform you as well that MSE will turn on your Windows Update to auto update should you forget to turn it on which if off by default from install. So you also didn’t remember that the O/S should also be updated to protect from such attacks. That is something neither of the programs your using will every do for the O/S.

Thx a lot Sir for your info.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2726232]A very unscientific consultant is what I call this. You said none are best but you just did a reverse contradiction here. Oh and your consultant probably didn’t inform you as well that MSE will turn on your Windows Update to auto update should you forget to turn it on which if off by default from install. So you also didn’t remember that the O/S should also be updated to protect from such attacks. That is something neither of the programs your using will every do for the O/S.[/QUOTE]