Antivirus companies, Microsoft at odds over Security Essentials

vbimport

Antivirus companies, Microsoft at odds over Security Essentials.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/11/fivQT7.jpg[/newsimage]By now we’re all used to seeing the words “Microsoft” and “antitrust” in the same sentence. This time, the application causing the controversy is Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), the software giant’s antivirus offering.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/antivirus-companies-microsoft-at-odds-over-security-essentials-36524/](http://www.myce.com/news/antivirus-companies-microsoft-at-odds-over-security-essentials-36524/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t believe this as being unfair competition, especially since Microsoft’s Security Essentials is only shown as an optional update if no Antivirus is installed.

For example, try finding a new PC [U]without[/U] any Antivirus package pre-installed. :slight_smile:

Unless the PC is sold without an OS or an alternative to Windows, it will come with Symantec, McAfee or some other AV package installed which forces the user to uninstall it if they would rather use a different Antivirus package.

So far I have never seen a computer sold with a free Antivirus package preinstalled, at least not from a large PC supplier such as Dell, HP, PC World, etc.

[QUOTE=Seán;2556803]I don’t believe this as being unfair competition, especially since Microsoft’s Security Essentials is only shown as an optional update if no Antivirus is installed.

For example, try finding a new PC [U]without[/U] any Antivirus package pre-installed. :slight_smile:

Unless the PC is sold without an OS or an alternative to Windows, it will come with Symantec, McAfee or some other AV package installed which forces the user to uninstall it if they would rather use a different Antivirus package.

So far I have never seen a computer sold with a free Antivirus package preinstalled, at least not from a large PC supplier such as Dell, HP, PC World, etc.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the above.

Actually know of @ least 1 trader who charges for “free” antivirus.
Must be really hard to install. :doh:

It shows up in my Vista as an important update, and I’m already using AVG free. Until I ‘update’ to Security Essentials, the little blue update square won’t leave the tray at the bottom of the screen. So despite what the article above says, MS is pushing their brand in a manner that may make it appear like I need it as much as any other security update.

[QUOTE=iamrocket;2556815]It shows up in my Vista as an important update, and I’m already using AVG free. Until I ‘update’ to Security Essentials, the little blue update square won’t leave the tray at the bottom of the screen. So despite what the article above says, MS is pushing their brand in a manner that may make it appear like I need it as much as any other security update.[/QUOTE]
If you right click on the update you can select Hide.
It will show up again in a month so you have to hide it every month.
That should fix the update square.

[QUOTE=iamrocket;2556815]It shows up in my Vista as an important update, and I’m already using AVG free. Until I ‘update’ to Security Essentials, the little blue update square won’t leave the tray at the bottom of the screen. So despite what the article above says, MS is pushing their brand in a manner that may make it appear like I need it as much as any other security update.[/QUOTE]

I use Comodo free & have no such problems with MS Security Essentials.

I wonder why my package updater didn’t offer it to me? Oh that’s right, I’m using Linux … HAHAHAHAHA

i think it is wrong for Microsoft to do this. most people already have an A/V program installed and most people accept without checking too much what the updates from Microsoft are (not saying that they shouldn’t check). if MSE is then installed as well, there could be conflict problems, as most machines dont like 2 A/V programs installed at once. as for the monthly reminder, that should be able to be turned off or hidden for good, not keep reappearing. most people want a choice but dont want things continuously forced on them all the time!
regarding the trial A/Vs that are usually supplied with a new machine, that is, in my opinion, also wrong. people should not be forced to install and use that software only to find that suddenly they have constant reminders to buy it because the trial has expired. it is then a pain and not straight forward to uninstall the damn thing before something else (free?) can be used.

I think it should be installed with Windows from day one. It is their product and it is in their best interest to keep it secure. If you want to waste money on another AV product, then you should be able to uninstall MSE like you can certain Windows components.

If HP, Dell and others want to give a trial AV, the subscription should be for at least a year.

I also agree it should be included, as its basically software that keeps their OS secure. It’s not hot hard to disable windows firewall, or auto updates etc… if they made it like that, so you could easily disable it if you wanted a 3rd party one, I think that would be ok.

There’s so many virii out there targetted towards windows systems, why should MS not be allowed to include software to protect the OS?

I don’t care about the ‘anti trust’ aspect of it. My AVG free recently forced an update to AVG 2011 and it slowed this old laptop to a crawl. The solution? Ditched AVG and use MSE now. May the best product win.

[QUOTE=redk9258;2556896]I think it should be installed with Windows from day one.[/QUOTE] Only if Microsoft enjoys being fined bajillions of Euros by the EU anti-monopoly agency. Remember the Windows Media Player case?!

Considering AVG, Panda, and other antivirus manufactures have a free version of their software, I can’t see how Microsoft is violating antitrust laws by having an free optional antivirus download.

It just shows how some companies can manipulate opinions by crying foul, especially when those same companies are offering the same product for free. I call them bigots.

[QUOTE=CPUSlayer;2556913]Considering AVG, Panda, and other antivirus manufactures have a free version of their software, I can’t see how Microsoft is violating antitrust laws by having an free optional antivirus download.[/QUOTE]
It’s only free as a way to advertise their commercial/subscription products.

[QUOTE=RTV71;2556926]It’s only free as a way to advertise their commercial/subscription products.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: Especially AVG Free which use to randomly flash up special offer advertising once in a while for its Internet Security suite.

Another option I think would be better for new PCs would be for the PC to be shipped without any Antivirus or Internet Security suite installed. Instead, display an Antivirus ballot box like Windows does for the browsers, so the end user can make their own decision which Antivirus provider/suite to install and use. :wink:

[QUOTE=kevpc;2556852]i think it is wrong for Microsoft to do this. most people already have an A/V program installed and most people accept without checking too much what the updates from Microsoft are (not saying that they shouldn’t check). if MSE is then installed as well, there could be conflict problems, as most machines dont like 2 A/V programs installed at once. as for the monthly reminder, that should be able to be turned off or hidden for good, not keep reappearing. most people want a choice but dont want things continuously forced on them all the time!
regarding the trial A/Vs that are usually supplied with a new machine, that is, in my opinion, also wrong. people should not be forced to install and use that software only to find that suddenly they have constant reminders to buy it because the trial has expired. it is then a pain and not straight forward to uninstall the damn thing before something else (free?) can be used.[/QUOTE]

Optional updates aren’t downloaded or installed unless the user checks the box to do so. If you don’t want it, don’t check the box. Also, as someone else already mentioned, if you right click on it, you will get the option to never show the update again.

[QUOTE=Seán;2556930]
Another option I think would be better for new PCs would be for the PC to be shipped without any Antivirus or Internet Security suite installed. [/QUOTE]Hey, you can’t do that - this would drive the computer manufacturers into bankrupcy :bigsmile:

But I personally like the idea of buying bloat-free computers :smiley:

Michael

after using MSE I’ve removed other all AV software on all of the computers.
under my responsibility

On customers computers on initial setup (I mostly work on ressurecting old stuff
I install MSE, if they want, (think) they “need” or somehow desire anything other than MSE they can install it themselves because I won’t.

Frankly I think MacAfee and Norton are far more bloat than actual function
and I’ve had MSE find serious threats on system drives from customer’s
computers that their paid-for Norton, AVG or McAfee DID NOT find.

I’m still mystified over why WMP was a “Trust” issue because it never prevented anyone from
adding whatever else they wanted next to it… or deleting WMP if doing so amused them…

frankly I always thought it was like aftermarket stereo mfg’s suing a car company for providing
a factory radio in all new cars…

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2557015]frankly I always thought it was like aftermarket stereo mfg’s suing a car company for providing a factory radio in all new cars…[/QUOTE]Because no single car company or OEM stereo manufacturer controls 90% of the market.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2557015]Frankly I think MacAfee and Norton are far more bloat than actual function and I’ve had MSE find serious threats on system drives from customer’s computers that their paid-for Norton, AVG or McAfee DID NOT find.[/quote] MSE did find all the threats in the Eicar test files but did allow me to save the zip files. I just couldn’t open them.