Antivirus/Cleaner

vbimport

Hello Cd Freakers, I have a question. My first computer build, what programs should I be getting ( free/pay for)? What is a good anti-virus program. What is a good cleaner program that is not going to delete my registry keys? This is going to be used for gaming, burning cds/dvds, multi tasking, and muisic/pictures. For what im using this computer for is there any other programs you guys/gals recommend any info would greatley be appreciated! Thanks for your time! -j-

Anti Virus :
NOD32 (paid)
Avast! (free)

Cleaner :
CCleaner (free) verify all settings before hitting GO
EasyCleaner (free) has undo button

Firewall, Anti-Spyware ?

[QUOTE=jflan;2154163]Anti Virus :
NOD32 (paid)
Avast! (free)

Cleaner :
CCleaner (free) verify all settings before hitting GO
EasyCleaner (free) has undo button

Firewall, Anti-Spyware ?[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget there is also Avira (free)
Get a good firewall

ZA pro (paid) and there is also ZA free
or Comodore (free)

What is a good anti-virus program. What is a good cleaner program that is not going to delete my registry keys?

Avast 4 Home Edition
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

avast! antivirus Home Edition provides continuous protection of your valuable data and programs by updating itself automatically. Simply install and forget. It also comes with anti-spyware & anti-rootkit protection for Windows, which are typically available only in the paid versions of many antivirus products.

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/zonealarm_free_firewall.jsp

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall blocks hackers from infiltrating your home PC by hiding your computer from unsolicited network traffic. By detecting and preventing intrusions, ZoneAlarm Free Firewall keeps your PC free from viruses that slow down performance, and spyware that steals your personal information, passwords, and financial data.

Advanced Windows Care
http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

This comprehensive PC-care utility has a one-click approach to helping protect, repair and optimize your PC. Advanced WindowsCare Personal Edition helps protect, optimize, and repair your PC –– with daily use.

and of course CCleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it’s fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :slight_smile:

I don’t recommend AntiVir free (from Avira) because of the constant nag screens.
Its detection rates are always good however.
I find Avast! (free) effective and far less annoying.

My favorite freebie “suite” is : (tested to play well together :iagree:)
AV = Avast!
AS = Spyware Terminator (because it is a real-time scanner in the free form, the others are not)
FW = Comodo (just works)

You can go pay for Norton or McAfee if you want, but the above “freebie suite” does the same job, perhaps even better.
Oh, and the most important piece of a security solution is [B]brain.exe[/B]
I recommend using that, too :bigsmile:

Thanks all for the great info. You guys are awesome!!! -j-

What OS, would this be used on?

Virus Bulletin : News - AV-Test release latest results

[QUOTE=jflan;2154176]I don’t recommend AntiVir free (from Avira) because of the constant nag screens.
Its detection rates are always good however.
I find Avast! (free) effective and far less annoying.

My favorite freebie “suite” is : (tested to play well together :iagree:)
AV = Avast!
AS = Spyware Terminator (because it is a real-time scanner in the free form, the others are not)
FW = Comodo (just works)

You can go pay for Norton or McAfee if you want, but the above “freebie suite” does the same job, perhaps even better.
Oh, and the most important piece of a security solution is [B]brain.exe[/B]
I recommend using that, too :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

There is a way to shut off the nag screen if you willing to go into the security settings and create a script that stops the notify nag screen. I did this and you couldn’t believe how better it is now. Plus I think on here someone did post how to do this setup to stop the nag screen and that is what I did. Spybot is also free for being a scanner and host file blocker.

avira and ccleaner works great for me…the nag screen can be removed easily…google is your friend lol
firefox+adblock+noscript+common sense lol and you wont really need adaware or similar programs…but i still do scans for spyware every once in a while
when are we gonna be able to use our computers without having to worry about stuff like this lol…i guess linux/mac is the only solution

another vote for FF, NoScript and common sense. :slight_smile: