Anti-Virus Program

vbimport

Does anybody have any idea what the best Virus SCanning Program is? Any Ideas Brought Forward will be used in consideration :):slight_smile:

I’ve only used the latest McAffee virus-scan programs…

6.x is the latest.

Prefer Norton myself
But there are some free scanners out there as well

I know this has been discussed in the Dutch forum several times.
Perhaps you can do a search and try any of the links you find there (I can understand you are not able to read the Dutch that goes along with it, but the links you’ll find may be very useful)

AntiVirus toolkit Pro (AVP) from www.centralcommand.com is very good too.

Most antivuris software developers now offer free online scanning for viri…no real protection, buut it can scan if you are already infected with a virus

I find Norton the best for home computing. If you require exessive security, then McAffee might be better.
But McAffee lags my computer down LOTS so I’ll stick to Norton.

I have tryed both Nortons and Mcafee plus many othere is hard to decide with is better. At the moment I’m not too happy with Nortons as I have had it stuff up quite a few times… mostly after it has been updated from them. Mcafee is too slow and like Airhead posted makes the computer lag quite abit

Norton is the best…

Greetzzz,

Sauron

True, mcaffee does lag the computer…
But for virus removal/cleaning/overall detection in my opinion its the best. I dont have my virus scanner load on startup because of the computer lag it causes. But I do weekly full scans while i’m away from my computer, so far so good.

Asking this is really like shooting yourself in the foot as you will get many people who are loyal to either Nortons or Mcafee. I think that you should try and get your hands on the stuff first and see what it’s like and try them both. Plus asking this is like many other questions in the computer world, like what’s the best Vido card, CD-R drive and so on… I know that some cases if you cant get your hands on it then just see what many people use… Not sure what it is but I belive Mcafee is used in more places the anything else… I not to sure but that is what I think is No.1 at the moment

I use Pc-cillin 2000,works great for me.In my opinion there all the same,some have more features than others but they all do the same job.Get all the trail versions,give them a go then when u find one u like and runs well on your system buy iy,easy.

Later

PaRaNoiD

Have you had any trouble with PC-Cillin 2000 and getting email through Outlook or Outlook Express as the last time I was using it the Pop3trap or what ever it uses to scan that sort of email kept freezing up my machine? And yes I did check on there web page and email them…

Have you had any trouble with PC-Cillin 2000 and getting email through Outlook or Outlook Express as the last time I was using it the Pop3trap or what ever it uses to scan that sort of email kept freezing up my machine? And yes I did check on there web page and email them…

I have never hade that trouble with PC-Cillin 2000 so i don’t know why i would be doing that but somethings not right,maybe try reinstalling it,im not sure.

I hade the same type of trouble with nortons 2001 thats why i swapped over to PC-Cillin 2000.

Sorry i couldn’t be more help GhostBear,maybe try posting it someone might be able too help u out.

Later.

pc-cillin is an ok program for user friendliness usually and the only issue i’ve had with it has been the same as mentioned pop3trap , i suspect that it is a conflict with IExplorer.

when pop3trap is playing its games i tend to get ancy. server timeouts-----possibly pc software confliction----highly probable.

pc cillin2000 is great if your runnin win9X , but not compatible with winXP

i’d recormend in this ever changing era nortons2002 , Mcaffee and if you have time to waste while it scans Kaspersky (i think that written correctly)

i strongly recormend installing Kazza and finding an AV program that suits you. try em all if you feel the need

i’d recormend in this ever changing era nortons2002 , Mcaffee and if you have time to waste while it scans Kaspersky (i think that written correctly)

I’m glad to see i’m not the only one who things kaspersky takes ages to run.In my opinion kaspersky is the best antivirus prog u can get but it takes so long to check everything(the comfort with it taking so long is that it scan everything individually)

Thanks anyway PaRaNoiD But it looks like sherman1 might of just helped me out with it as I’m running it with XP and that could be the problem with it. Sherman1 is right Nortons and McAfee are the two main one that people seems to recommand. Not sure about Kaspersky, as I haven’t used it.

Whats Evaluation Software?

Whats Evaluation Software?

This is in most cases fully working versions of the software and works for, in most cases, around about 30 days. Many of them have it just go to there web pages and find it under downloads

I have tried most of the big brands and IMHO F-Secure is outstanding. Also the one that don´t use a lot of system recourses. Both Norton and McAfee has had their era of greatness. Nowadays there are many other much better solutions eg. Kasperski Labs AVP. However Norton Corp Edition is not that bad, their pro solution, but the price range is pro as well.

LaZorMan

Norton Antivirus is the Best.

As i started this Post and i have decided Norton is The Best and i did try Sophos which i dont think anyone mentioned, but that was annoying so that went.

Thnks for all your advice.