Anti-virus help

vbimport

Okay so yes i did see the keeping your computer clean but its form 04 and doesn’t have a few good companies.

Some important tools:

Malwarebytes: One of the most well know anti-malware tools. You can use it free or pay for active protection and updates. I recomenned every one ahs a copy of this a scans from time to time. (If you use the free one make sure you update before scanning)

Norton Utilities:
You can get a free 30 day trial this comes with endless amounts of tools to help your computer. Ones of the best programs to keep on your computer for cleaning it out.
http://www.symantec.com/norton/downloads/trialsoftware/offer.jsp?pvid=nu2010

Ccleaner: only one of the most well know cleaners out there and its FREE! This thing is your best friend simple and fast to the point.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Firewall: YES you should have a firewall the more advanced one your willing to deal with instead of your windows automatic one the better. For a simple one check out Pctools or more advanced theres Online Armor or Comodo.
http://www.pctools.com/firewall/
http://www.tallemu.com/downloads.php

Paid:

Norton: So many people hate it for the speed true but Norton dose offer some of the best protection around. They have some of the best detection and quick to update against new viruses.
http://www.symantec.com/norton/index.jsp

ESET: This company is rising VERY fast lately some are saying its going to be the next Norton in popularity wise. With not only great protection but some great email options for those of you who still download your email.

Panda: Was once know as the top dog but many believe it is loosing its steam.
http://shop.pandasecurity.com/assets/us/index.htm

Pctools: Becoming a big name AV. Pctools is most popular for there firewall and spyware doctor. Pctools is a simple but yet advanced AV.
http://www.pctools.com/

Bullgaurd: Not to well know but good active protection telling you if you are in the middle of DL a virus. But on the flip side this will slow down your DL etc.
http://www.bullguard.com/

(There are many more but i’m covering some of the most well known)

Free:
(Many free also have paid version)

Avira: One of the most well know free AVs available.
http://www.free-av.com/

Avast: Very well know among gamers for a free AV. And might be the most popular free AV.
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Comodo(CIS): Most well known for the firewall but there security suit is growing fast.

MS security essentials: Not majorly advanced but completely auto piolet for people who don’t want to deal with any thing.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

AVG free: Basic anti-virus and antispyware protection for Windows. Limited features, no support, for private and non-commercial use only.

Reviews:

Norton: Norton is probably the most well know among AV and other similar tools developed by Symantec. Norton AV can be a resource hog but supplies some top of the line AV. So far i have never had any thing slide through Norton that didn’t on any other security suit.

For gamers Norton provides a gaming edition which will stop scanning etc while in game. And dose pulse updating between very 10-15min while in normal mode so no more long updates. I have tested many gaming AV and so far Norton was the best. With almost no effect on ping. I found the gaming edtions nicer then there normal.
http://www.symantec.com/norton/downloads/trialsoftware/offer.jsp?pvid=navg2009

ESET: Claims to have never missed any viruses released. If you do download your email you should look into ESET for there great email tools. I found ESET very similar to Norton.

ESET dose provide specs for gaming with ESET but have not yet released a version for gaming and even with there specs i took a hit to my ping.

Panda: Looked nice and claims to be ahead of the curve and are releasing a free version. I found Panda to be more of a nice looking and easy navigation then detection AV.

Pctools: Might just be the simplest AV for some one to control with decent detection. Pctools is very popular for its simple to use tools. Pctools dose not consume to many system resources.

Bullgaurd: Active protection telling you if you are in the middle of DL a virus. But on the flip side this will slow down your DL etc. Very simple to use but i found it scared my wait times to DL and open folders by having to active protection.

Bullgaurd offers a gaming edition certified by steel gaming that detects a .exe launching and will go to gaming mode. I gained about +5-10 ping.
http://www.bullguard.com/why/bullguard-gamers-edition.aspx

There are tones more out there for you to try. I have used almost all them but in the end you have to decided. If you want some mroe help feel free to contact me!

Just to note Norton isn’t the best cause of Reviews here. It all comes down to the users and how they download and allow into their computer. Because it is the mostly highly targeted software by viruses and malware cause of it being the largest target and that to me makes it more susceptible to attacks then other software. Granted those others aren’t much better but the software that get attacked the most is bound to fail and fail big. Since this review doesn’t take into account various other A/V and software it’s doesn’t provide those looking for protection enough information to go off. I used Avira free and it hasn’t missed a beat finding and defeating virus and malware for me since I switched to using it.

Unless you obey a couple of simple rules,

[ol]
[li]Never ever do your normal work using an user account with administrative permissions. Adminstrative accounts are for system maintenance only.[/li][li]Always make sure your operating system and your software have the latest patches and updates installed[/li][li]Only use reliable sources for software (your favourite torrent or freehost site are not)[/li][li]Replace software that has a poor security history[/li][/ol]
“security” software is only a means to make sure, only the latest malware is installed.

Michael

According to recent tests, Avira currently has the best a/v detection rate in the industry (free AND paid). Some people suggest supplementing your a/v software with Threatfire, but after a botched (automatic) update killed my system sometime ago, I stopped using it. Coincidentally, I just tried it again last night but after two system crashes, I uninstalled it again! After years of tweaking, my system almost never crashes!

Some other security related apps that I use and recommend are:
Comodo Internet Security (just for outbound firewall, use hardware firewall for inbound traffic and disable annoying defense+!)
WinPatrol (for monitoring startup apps, internet hosts etc. it’s got a cute system tray icon too!)
Peerblock (for torrent privacy, but can also block http traffic)
== run these four occasionally, or if you think you’ve picked up something nasty (I don’t bother with any real-time anti-malware other than Avira)
Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
SpywareBlaster
SUPERAntiSpyware
a-squared Free (best trojan detection around)

Slainte

midders

To add to Mciahel´s rules, I´d suggest turning off “[B]autoplay[/B]”, as this is what some malware uses to get from one device to another

[B]CCleaner[/B]: I use it extensively with my XP systen, but I read somewhere it may be causing problems with Windows 7. Maybe wait until they both have ironed out their glitches?

And, I just read thru a whole bunch of reviews yesterday evening for a buddy buying a new computer, Based on the following, I´d pick [B]Bitdefender[/B]

Check some links
http://www.pcantivirusreviews.com/

http://www.starreviews.com/antivirus-software.aspx

http://www.all-internet-security.com/top_10_antivirus_software.html

The ultimate serious guys

[QUOTE=deanimator;2482451]To add to Mciahel´s rules, I´d suggest turning off “[B]autoplay[/B]”, as this is what some malware uses to get from one device to another[/QUOTE]I knew, I forgot something :doh:

Another tip: [U]Don’t rely on icons[/U] as a way of telling what is safe to open!

Which one of the following is dodgy?

Notice something when I change to “Details” view: :slight_smile:

In my final year of 3rd level school, the software development students used this trick by creating prank applications with icons of a folders, pictures, media files, etc. and placing them in shared folders, often along with folders of MP3s in a hope that someone browsing these opens the fake folder or song.

So before browsing a CD or pen drive from someone, be sure to browse in the details view.

QUOTE=Seán;2482461 So before browsing a CD or pen drive from someone, be sure to browse in the details view.[/QUOTE]And also disable the “hide extensions …” setting in the folder options. :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=Seán;2482461]…before browsing a CD or pen drive from someone, be sure to browse in the details view.[/QUOTE]

I always right-click these and scan them with my AVG and Malwarebytes programs, before doing anything else. Found the “downloadup” on a buddy´s stick a few days ago by doing this! :eek:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2482434]
“security” software is only a means to make sure, only the latest malware is installed.
[/QUOTE]

not sure i understand meaning here, my english must be mucked up. i guessing u meant that ‘security’ software as, anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall is only a means to scan for what bugs have made in; and that real security, as prevention is from using the guidelines/steps u(and others) have mentioned. o, and gr8 guidelines. good thread.

hey, i now adjusting/doing some recomendations mentioned. thx again guys.

small notes from my(rookie’s) experience. in the '90s i had used mac se 30, and '02 mac i-book laptop, used norton basic security and no problems, so when i had my first pc(laptop) in '05 i figured hey norton is good security ap. though the software was so loaded, it really slowed down my lappy and used much mem. when i uninstalled norton what big difference; had some problems w/ norton after uninstall, some norton parts were still hiding and being nuisance, was tricky but found method(s) to get all norton out. have used avg free since w/ no problems.

had used firewall: zone alarm free, which has a 2-direction firewall. ths made sense and liked the idea, though couldnt get it to work right, was having glitches and having to frequent reset settings(using win xp, sp2). went back to basic win firewall, no problems; though would want different firewall thts safer vs win.

malwarebytes does good 2.

Hi,[QUOTE=yelodog;2482568]not sure i understand meaning here, my english must be mucked up. i guessing u meant that ‘security’ software as, anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall is only a means to scan for what bugs have made in; and that real security, as prevention is from using the guidelines/steps u(and others) have mentioned.[/quote]Partially. The bad guys are always one leap ahead. For latest malware, there is a 50% chance it is not (yet) detected by an installed antivirus software. Recently, someone started to pollute one of my mail accounts with “DHL delivery notifications”. I uploaded one sample to virusscan jotti.org, and less than 50% of the virus scanners there did classify this as virus/trojan/other malicious crap.

Even worse, such malware can easily render the security software useless, especially if the user has admin permissions. :eek:

o, and gr8 guidelines. good thread.

hey, i now adjusting/doing some recomendations mentioned. thx again guys.

Excellent decision :slight_smile:

Michael

Yeah some good guidelines just as it was typing all that up took a while.

I did not review the free ones because if i post a review for every single one i would be typing forever. I used avira FOREVER and still recommended this for any one who wants a free one. I no longer use it for gaming purposes. But sense its so good maybe ill add me review on it.

To the bitdefender person i did not add them to the list because they have caused a lot of problems just after being installed. Many people will have function buttons etc no longer work and force windows to crash on laptops this happened a lot. When i used it i found it dug itself in deep to the system. This can be nice for security but i more often then not found it creating errors. And many times i have had to help people remove it because it had errors while uninstalling. It is not a bad AV but it is not on my recommended list because of errors.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2482660]…The bad guys are always one leap ahead…
…malware can easily render the security software useless, especially if the user has admin permissions…[/QUOTE]

Exactly. A few days ago, a buddy running AVG noticed that when he clicked the AVG icon to request an update or run a scan…nothing happened. Further investigation showed that it was not only disabled, it appeared that it had at least partially uninstalled itself!!! :eek:

We recovered his data to an external drive…which I then plugged into MY lappy (autorun was already disabled). Scanned it with my AVG and removed a downloadup trojan!!! The only solution for his lappy was to reinstall his entire OS.

Oh that sucks. I run all the time with no AV and i still have never picked up any thing :smiley:

I haven’t gotten a real virus in a long time… but i’m always dealing with them on other peoples computers :confused:

[QUOTE=glamdring92;2483353]I run all the time with no AV and i still have never picked up any thing :D[/QUOTE] How would you know? :stuck_out_tongue:

Like DrageMester mentions, the problem with having no AV is that you can potentially pickup a rootkit infection without realising it, which is a type of infection designed to hide its presence.

I have already seen this with someone who decided to take a similar approach with a PC he uses for music recording to avoid the AV interfering during recordings. The PC didn’t show anything unusual until I came home with my pen drive I had used on it and my AV revealed a trojan on it. When I called the person, he didn’t believe he as he thought with his PC not being online that he was “immune” to viruses and didn’t need one, not realising that the Internet and e-mail are not the only sources of infections. :eek:

If you seriously do prefer to run without any sort of Antivirus, it is at least worth doing a periodic AV scan with a bootable up-to-date Antivirus utility or by hooking the HDD directly up to another PC to do an offline scan. I would also not recommend using a PC for online purchases or online banking without an AV even if you only use reputable websites. For example, one online shop I use to occasionally purchase from was infected by a “drive-by” keylogger trojan, which I would unlikely have noticed if I didn’t have AV at the time.

[QUOTE=Seán;2483464]Like DrageMester mentions, the problem with having no AV is that you can potentially pickup a rootkit infection without realising it, which is a type of infection designed to hide its presence. [/quote]you can also install the rootkit with having AV software running. Your statement only applies to old, known versions of malware.

I have already seen this with someone who decided to take a similar approach with a PC he uses for music recording to avoid the AV interfering during recordings.
I assume, he used to have admin permissions.

If you seriously do prefer to run without any sort of Antivirus, it is at least worth doing a periodic AV scan with a bootable up-to-date Antivirus utility or by hooking the HDD directly up to another PC to do an offline scan.
Agreed. :iagree: And if you still like to run your Windows NT in Win9x mode, then it’s better to seal the network connector with epoxy or something like that.

I would also not recommend using a PC for online purchases or online banking without an AV even if you only use reputable websites. For example, one online shop I use to occasionally purchase from was infected by a “drive-by” keylogger trojan, which I would unlikely have noticed if I didn’t have AV at the time.
You were just lucky that your AV software already knew this beast. :bigsmile:

Michael

I know i don’t have one because i use AV scans on my computer every day i just don’t have it running day-to-day use because this computer is very looked after. I would never run it with out scanning it i’m not stupid ;P. On me heavy use/gaming computer i do use AV because its getting bigger for some one to slip viruses/keloggers into game DL from servers to steel ACC info which can be a pain to get back.

I don’t know what country you live in but now in USA it doesn’t matter so much because its very easy tog et oyur money back. They just track every use so its not a big deal if it happens.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2482434]Unless you obey a couple of simple rules,

1. Never ever do your normal work using an user account with administrative permissions. Adminstrative accounts are for system maintenance only.
    [/QUOTE]

at first, i read ths to mean never operating online using user(w/ admin permissions), though there must be good explanation and/or caution for doing offline stuff 2, not using user(w/ admin permissions).

i been adjusting habits w/ laptop per guidelines from ths forum. been 1 user on lappy; now added second user for lappy(w/ no admin abilities), though now the second user doesnt have the previous aps/files/browser bookmarks.

is there easy method to transfer files to new user, and then can clean up and adjust for new practice/habits;
or, setup the new user for admin(for system maintenance, as recommended), and change permissions of first user w/ the aps/files/browser bookmarks (changed to no admin); though dont u need admin access to aps/files for installing.

ths is getting omh for rookie :o
though important and want to understand

Hi,[QUOTE=yelodog;2499551]at first, i read ths to mean never operating online using user(w/ admin permissions), though there must be good explanation and/or caution for doing offline stuff 2, not using user(w/ admin permissions). [/quote]Malware that is executed, has the permissions of the user who is logged in. With restricted permissions, such a malware is not able to install itself in Windows or Programs folder.

i been adjusting habits w/ laptop per guidelines from ths forum. been 1 user on lappy; now added second user for lappy(w/ no admin abilities), though now the second user doesnt have the previous aps/files/browser bookmarks.

Fine :slight_smile:

is there easy method to transfer files to new user, and then can clean up and adjust for new practice/habits;

This depends on the applications you are using. I am not aware of a simple method to transfer user data from one account to another.
I personally would go this way:
Using a drive (preferably with FAT32 file system (this avoids potential problems with permissions, but can’t handle files larger than 4 GB) - but not mandatory) as intermediate storage (additional benefit: you have a backup then) is recommended.
Login with your old account.
Then copy the content of %appdata% (just click “run”, type “%appdata%”, hit Enter) to the backup drive.
Also copy the files in “My Documents” to the backup drive.
Log off.

Login with the new, restricted account.
Then copy the “appdata” backup to your %appdata% folder, and also copy back the content of your former My Documents stuff.

or, setup the new user for admin(for system maintenance, as recommended), and change permissions of first user w/ the aps/files/browser bookmarks (changed to no admin); though dont u need admin access to aps/files for installing.

Unfortunately, the ex-Admin still has too much permissions since it has ownership of many important files and folders.

So you need to go the harder way (but it is a chance for some cleanup :smiley: )

Michael