Answers to several issues (new 811 firmwares, tech support)

vbimport

In several threads there some issues raised on Lite-On drives. As promised I contacted Lite-On and got the following responses:

• There will be firmware upgrades for the LDW-811 and posted to the Lite-On website.
  • There have been complaints about the tech support from Lite-On and the company is working to improve this, they will likely introduce localized websites this year and for European customers here is some additional information to reach technical support:

Email: EU_SERVICE@LITEONIT.COM

In Dutch, English and German all questions should be answered within 48 hours according to Lite-On.

During office hours European customers can call:

Dutch/English: +31 40-2508083
German: +31 40-2508082

Good news for Lite-On owners…

I hope all of us living in Europe will get same /or even better/ service, then the “americans”.

:slight_smile:

Excellent news. Thanks for contacting LiteOn for all of us.
:bigsmile:

Hmm some of you may say this question may be somewhat inconsequential due to 411@811 possibilites…

BUT I’ll ask anyway! Do you know if LiteOn will also release new 411 firmwares?

Originally posted by wesociety
BUT I’ll ask anyway! Do you know if LiteOn will also release new 411 firmwares?

I’m pretty sure they will. When new media arrives they are included in the upcoming 811s firmware. Liteon can then include the same data in a new 411s firmware without much work. So if they don’t release future 411s it should be because of “other” reasons (I.e trying to push newer products by making old ones obsolete).

If this information they have given us is authentic, it is indeed a good thing…

However - I think the bone of contention with the 811S for me will not be new firmware supporting more media per se - but the continued development to improve write strategy, which, I feel may not be in their priority list anymore…

:sad:

Good point Zeb

Originally posted by DoMiN8ToR
[B]In several threads there some issues raised on Lite-On drives. As promised I contacted Lite-On and got the following responses:

• There will be firmware upgrades for the LDW-811 and posted to the Lite-On website.
    [/B]

Yes, it’s true. I have contacted LiteON three days ago and they have answered me in this way:
“…we never stop to improve the quality of our drives. So we have new firmware for a short time. Also that’s not the reason for we to have new products. SOHW-812S is different from LDW-811S. The writing speed for DVD-R is up to 8x…”.

So in a way LiteON is trying to tell you that the big if not only difference in 812 is the 8x -R writing speed and the use of sony technology, hence better quality.

In other words it would not be logical for them to update the 811 to allow it to perform like a 812 now would it.

Also the 411 drive is being phased out and no longer in production. Whatever 411s you find on the market are the current stock, once it runs out it’s finished.

As to the improving its quality, there is no plan to improve writing quality on the 811 through the firmware. If they do intend on releasing new firmwares it will be for added media support, but the current quality of the drive will remain the same.