Another Which MoBo thread

vbimport

I guess I should start by apologising for the fact that this is another which MoBo thread. I’m building my first new PC from components in the next couple of months and have done some research but can’t decide on a Mobo. I also have a few questions that I need some good advice on.

I’m not planning to overclock at all in this build so no suggestions of that sort please. And if I’ve made a bad choice, please say why.

This is the current plan for the PC;

case: CoolerMaster ATC-201c-SX2
processor: Intel P4 2.8Ghz
processor fan: Coolermaster D14-7H53
PSU: Enermax 350W ATX 2.03 [EG365AX-VE FMA]
RAM: Crucial PC2100 512MB modules x2
Graphics: LeadTek GeForce4 Ti4800 [A280-TD128VIVO]
sound: Creative Audigy 2

Optical: Lite-On LTD163D, Lite-On LTR40125S

HDD: Maxtor 80Gb ATA133 x2, Maxtor 40Gb ATA133, IBM Deskstar 45Gb ATA100

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394 or Aopen AX4R Plus

Questions;

How reliable are the Serial ATA converters for Parallel ATA drives?

Are the pin outs for front panel connectors standard?

Are the Internal USB connector pin outs standard? My research suggests not.

Anyone tried either of the MoBos in the coolerMaster case?

Thanks in advance

I think the S-ATA adapters works just fine. If you can buy a S-ATA hard disk.

PATA to SATA adapters are known to cause data corruption on some MB’s, so be alert for that if you choose to use SATA ports with PATA drives.
Also, I would get a better PSU, the Antec True-power 430 or 480 is a great value.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
PATA to SATA adapters are known to cause data corruption on some MB’s, so be alert for that if you choose to use SATA ports with PATA drives.
Also, I would get a better PSU, the Antec True-power 430 or 480 is a great value.

Thanks for the tip.

The Antec 430 and 480 start to get a bit expensive for my budget, but the 380 looks like a possible. So what makes them better, or Enermax worse?

Orinoco, you realize that if you buy the SINXP you will not need S-ATA adapters? I’ve been waiting for the GA-8SQ800 Ultra (similiar board but cheaper) which seems to be available only in UK, New Zealand and Australia and has many of the same features. These boards have both onboard IDE controller and onboard ATA/133 RAID. Both of these controllers can handle ATAPI devices thanks to iTE’s JBOD (just a bunch of drives). So you can connect up to 8 drives before resorting to S-ATA. I may be forced to pay the extra money for SINXP because the 8SQ800 ultra shows no signs of coming to US…

@BRPR: Indeed I did. Unless I’m missing something here one problem with your theory is that according to the online manual on the Gigabyte web site the RAID is for IDE #3 and #4 only, and you can only boot from IDE#1, IDE #2, floppy or CD-ROM. So no RAID boot drive, either ATA133 or SATA. Also the controller for IDE#3 and IDE#4 is a Promise controller, so I’m not putting my opticals there as it is well documented in the other forums that opticals don’t like being put on RAID controllers. Unless they mean that one of the RAID drives must be on IDE#3 or IDE#4 …

Orinoco, I think you may be confusing this board’s specs with those of another. On the SINXP, ATA/133 RAID controller is made by ITE, and the SATA controller is made by Silicon Image. The RAID controller, as I said, supports JBOD meaning it can support both hard drives and optical drives, and I would bet you can boot from either RAID controller. Ask questions about the RAID controller at http://www.asusboards.com, a lot of people there bought this board to replace their crappy p4s8x’s.

I know how I managed to confuse myself with the RAID on IDE#3 and IDE#4. The .gif file above the description of the RAID function hides a link to explain RAID, but it talks about the Promise controller and not the ITE controller. Phew, that’s a relief and it does rather change things a bit. If I can RAID anything as you suggest then that is a big plus for the SINXP1394.

I was thinking about the SATA connectors so I could keep one device on each IDE channel and still use all 4 HDDs and 2 optical drives.

I think that was a vote for the SINXP1394 from BRPR, now about those connectors…