Another S183L SB02 firmware upgrade problem

Hello!

I purchased a Samsung retail-box SH-S183 from Fry’s. The box says only SH-183, but the identification tool on the Samsung website identifies the drive as

TSSTCORP CD/DVDW SH-S183L SB01

• Drive F/W Version : SB01
  • F/W OEM Code : 1

I cannot get the firmware upgraded in this drive. I’ve tried the Live Update method (which says my firmware needs updating), I’ve manually downloaded the exe file and run it, and I’ve also tried downloading the bin file and using a couple of different versions of the flash program. Ultimately, all the methods end up at the same dialog box, which says that the downloaded firmware is not compatible with my drive.

I’ve also upgraded my VIA SATA driver to the latest version, and tried a number of the tips mentioned here, but am making no progress. The drive seems to burn/read fine. Although, the drive identifies the 16x JVC DVD+R
disks I have as only suitable for 8x. I was hoping a firmware upgrade might help, as I have quite a few of those disks.

I submitted a support request through the Samsung website support request form. I got a reply email saying that I needed to call in, and the Samsung tech support number was provided. I called the tech support number, got bounced around between several departments, and was ultimately told that I need to go back to the website for DVD-writer problems. I resubmitted my problem through the website, explaining what I was told over the phone, and was emailed the same generic reply that I got the first time. Apparently, a human isn’t reading the support requests submitted via the website.

The website says that the OEM code needs to be “SB” in order to apply the firmware update. My OEM code is “1”. It doesn’t quite make sense to me that the firmware on the Samsung website is not meant to work in a Samsung retail box product, but who knows.

Any ideas? Is there actually a Samsung tech support number that goes through to people who know about the DVD writers?

Thanks!

Hi and Welcome!

There should be a sticker on the box showing more information, as there are different models of that series.

but the identification tool on the Samsung website identifies the drive as

What version of the Samsung tool were you using? I’ll attach a screenshot taken with my SH-S182D. OEM code should indeed be “SB”.

I cannot get the firmware upgraded in this drive. (…)

I’ve also upgraded my VIA SATA driver to the latest version, and tried a number of the tips mentioned here, but am making no progress. The drive seems to burn/read fine.
Okay, this should rule out controller issues at least.
Although, the drive identifies the 16x JVC DVD+R
disks I have as only suitable for 8x. I was hoping a firmware upgrade might help, as I have quite a few of those disks.
Could you please provide the MID of these discs? Insert a blank disc, run Nero CD/DVD speed and check the “Disc Info” tab.
Some media are indeed only supported at lower speeds than claimed by the manufacturer. I think, there are some reasons for Samsung doing so.

The website says that the OEM code needs to be “SB” in order to apply the firmware update. My OEM code is “1”. It doesn’t quite make sense to me that the firmware on the Samsung website is not meant to work in a Samsung retail box product, but who knows.
Of course, Samsung’s update tools are intended to work with their retail products :wink: I suspect, there is something wrong with your drive, or the Samsung utility has problems identifying the drive correctly as it is connected to a VIA controller (there were issues like this with the old SH-W163, but I hope they fixed that)

Any ideas?
Two ideas:
Either return the drive, as it might be bad, or try a forced flash (described in the Mini-FAQ). If you downloaded the firmware in the new “One-Click”-format, you’ll have to unzip the .exe file before in order to have access to the flasher and the firmware separately.

Michael

There is a barcode sticker on the box: 7 29507 93969 8

and the Fry’s price sticker. The price sticker says “SH-183L/BSBN”. I can find no other stickers.

The version tool was 1.03.1, which is the latest from the Samsung website.

WFKA11 321 000 (00h)

I guess I’ll have to decide whether to risk the forced flash or not…

Thanks!

This media is indeed only supported at 8x (checked for SH-S182D SB06 firmware, SH-S183 firmwares aren’t different). There are also some other MIDs, that are only supported at lower speeds, like the infamous Ritek G05 (8x), that would be handled at 4x.

Michael

Greetings. I’m having the same exact problem. dvdinfopro and winiquiry identify my drive the exact same way.

I ordered it from ebay last week.
SAMSUNG SATA LIGHTSCRIBE SH-S183L 18X DVD±RW DL BURNER

I have a newly installed SATA PCI card with the VIA VT6421L Chipset

My main problem was that dvdinfopro says the drive’s booktype can not be manually changed, which I thought was odd, so I looked for a newer firmware. I can NOT upgrade because the OEM Code is set to “1”.

It burns discs fine as far as I can tell with the few discs I’ve made with it, so I do not think the drive is defective in anyway.

Is it possible the booktype can be changed and its just dvdinfopro that can not do it? What PC burning programs allow you to change booktype? [I primarily use a Mac, hence my lack of knowledge of PC burning software]

Hi and Welcome!

You are #3 with that hardware combination and this problem.

It burns discs fine as far as I can tell with the few discs I’ve made with it, so I do not think the drive is defective in anyway.
:iagree: There might be something wrong with that drive and VIA based SATA controllers that at least prevents flashing newer firmwares.

Is it possible the booktype can be changed and its just dvdinfopro that can not do it? What PC burning programs allow you to change booktype?
I own a SH-S182D (same drive, but without Lightscribe and PATA interface) and I’m fine after I have set the booktype option to “Automatic” using Nero. Booktype can also be set with ImgBurn, but I am not sure if that is a permanent setting. You may search this forum as there are some more threads about Samsung 18x drives and bitsetting.

Michael

Thanks for the speedy reply :slight_smile: [why am I still up?]

anyway, I will peruse for more info but its my understanding that booktype settings are not permanant but that they remain set until manually changed, while some software does it automatically… again, I’m a bit out of my element since no OSX software is even capable of layerbreak settings and booktype settings, et al, at least there were none when I last checked. Certainly Toast Titanium is incapable of it.

For my current backup needs, I must travel the rocky road that is PC/WindowsXP… hating almost every minute of it :Z

Your speedy help makes it that much more tolerable :smiley:

Thank You!

EDIT: I did try to set the booktype with ImageBurn to no avail. How can I check a burned disc to see what booktype it was made with/as? perhaps its happening automatically and I just don’t know it

Hi,

You’re welcome - and you were just lucky :smiley:

anyway, I will peruse for more info but its my understanding that booktype settings are not permanant but that they remain set until manually changed, while some software does it automatically…
then we have the same understanding :slight_smile:

EDIT: I did try to set the booktype with ImageBurn to no avail. How can I check a burned disc to see what booktype it was made with/as? perhaps its happening automatically and I just don’t know it
There is no feedback from the drive, if I remember correctly. Maybe something is mentioned in the log, but I am not sure about that either.
You can check the booktype with Nero CD/DVD speed in the “disc info” tab.

Michael

You can also set the Booktype with Nero CD/DVD Speed on each disc right before you start your burn process.
There is one drawback though, Booktyping takes up disc space. If you use a video “shrink” program which doesn’t allow space for the Booktype (and sets up your video to use the entire disc) your video will not fit on the available disc space.

That statement is quite a surprise to me and I’m sure also for the rest of forum.
DVD-ROM bitsetting just [I]changes[/I] two bytes in disc lead-in. Not a single byte out of 4GB+ is used for “booktyping”. :wink:

That doesn’t surprise me. I arrived at that conclusion when I couldn’t burn a completely full +R disc with DVDfab after manually booktyping it before starting the burn. DVDfab gave me the error that there wasn’t enough space on the disc. (It burnt fine after rebooting the computer and NOT manually booktyping the disc.)
Probably just another bug in DVDfab…which won’t properly bitset a Samsung drive–hence the reason for the manual booktype to begin with…
Thanks for correcting the error in my logic :slight_smile: