Another odd Verbatim disk

This is an odd one. Near the bottom of a 50ct cakebox of Verbatim. The rest of the disks were reasonably good. The serial is PAPA27KC30024917 It was burned at 8x on a Pioneer 215L with ImgBurn. Bitset to DVD-ROM.

My Samsung dvd player refused to recognize this disk, which was the first indication of trouble. This is the first 16x Verbatim I’ve had that wouldn’t play in my stand alone player. It plays fine on the computer.

I can’t get Nero CD/DVD Speed to recognize the mid code properly. DVDIdentifier shows it correctly as MCC004. Anyone know why?

I’ve had this happen with discs on the very bottom of the spindle too, didn’t work right at all!

Very odd. I can’t think of a good explanation for this one, except bad manufacturing. :confused:

Pretty bad PIFs. I’m thinking along the same lines as Drage, or probably its due to mishandling?

I examined it pretty closely, and there’s not a scratch or discolored area on the disk. It looks perfectly good. Just a weird glitch as far as I can tell.

Quit Buying [B]New Packaging[/B] VERBATIM DVD SL Media also MKM001 MIS too
Can’t get a good disc after JUNE / 2008 from Micro Center…Best Buy…Sams Club ( Lots of different style Verb media / North East NJ Area )
too much spent money for finding good verb disc
give away disc twice more than total 1000disc bad verb
think I order Unbrand TYG02 and T02 media this way is saving money and time
Goodbye :Z :Z :Z Verbatim

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2185944]Quit Buying [B]New Packaging[/B] VERBATIM DVD SL Media also MKM001 MIS too
Can’t get a good disc after JUNE / 2008 from Micro Center…Best Buy…Sams Club ( Lots of different style Verb media / North East NJ Area )
too much spent money for finding good verb disc
give away disc twice more than total 1000disc bad verb
think I order Unbrand TYG02 and T02 media this way is saving money and time
Goodbye :Z :Z :Z Verbatim[/QUOTE]

Please explain what a ‘bad verb’ is for you :flower:
Anything that’s worse than 10000 PIE and 1000 PIF total?

[QUOTE=Womi;2186006]Please explain what a ‘bad verb’ is for you :flower:
Anything that’s worse than 10000 PIE and 1000 PIF total?[/QUOTE]

PIE looks ok but lots of PIF error and many Very high PIF spikes ( 15 to 30 BenQ 1655 Scan )
most infortant thing is keep going to getting worse and worse :doh:

The last disk out of this cakebox was also bad. Odd that those two were so different from the rest of them. At least the mid code showed up correctly on the last one.

Verbatim DVD+R 16X ( MCC004 / MIT / PAPA ) New Packaging
Last year December Micro Center :doh:
burn 215D and 216D

Does it show any visible signs by looking at the bottom of the disc?

no

… same here, dear friends. Suddenly non-stop max. 2 PIFs all the time, ALL the time. Plus sporadic fields of very high max. PIEs. Since the last two packages I bought. I posted in the MCC004 thread as well. This is horribly sad.

Can you post a scan? Continuous PIFs can be a sign that the drive is experiencing repeated buffer underruns, for example when running in PIO mode or via a slow USB connection.

P.S.
The blank media tests forums have a no discussion rule. If you ask a moderator nicely they might delete or move your post for you before anybody else notices.:wink:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/not-discussion-forum-163252/
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/must-read-before-posting-forum-posting-guidelines-75277/

Burner and entire hardware is perefect. Burned occasional max. 1 PIF (ECC1 scan) and max. 4 PIE (ECC1 scan) just today! Fantastic result. Media was from an older MCC004 package I bought in December in another store. Scans (bad burn/perfect burn) coming soon.

How about this for odd? This disc is the third to the last in a 50pk CMC MAP6 spindle, and the only one with this “problem” in the spindle. The 2 discs (both before and after this) has annular scratches on the bottom (but not completely encircling the disc). Definitely not something I expected from Verbatim.

This is the first time I’ve seen something like this, and from a Verbatim branded product? :frowning: More QC please Verbatim, we pay a lot for the quality we expect from the Verbatim brand.

(PS. The platen glass was dirty and dusty but the disc is spotless, yet cracked. I cleaned my scanner after this :p)

Holy cats evo69…might want to send those in. You deserve some replacement disks.

Pre-cracked hub? :eek:

What will they think of next?! :doh:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2226837]Holy cats evo69…might want to send those in. You deserve some replacement disks.[/QUOTE]

I’ve never tried sending optical media back to the manufacturer before (since this is the first time this has happened to me). Do I just head over to their site and complain? :stuck_out_tongue: Or are there any procedures for this crap?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2226914]Pre-cracked hub? :eek:

What will they think of next?! :doh:[/QUOTE]

It sucks really, but I kinda liked how the other discs in the spindle burned, it had less PIE overall (<50,000) compared to the other MCC 03RG20 I’ve burned recently(~150,000-200,000). After a thousand-odd MCC 03RG20 and this I run across into. Just my luck eh. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d rather run into this odd Verb disc rather than a spindle-full of Philips or Memorex AM3s. Euw. :Z

Got a 100 pcs cakebox and tried a few discs randomly picked out of the stack on different burners.
It’s horrible. I burned about 20 movies on the discs and none plays without stuttering in my standalone.
Of course I can’t send them back now that i used about 30 discs total.

Can’t get ahold of TY atm… So, what’s left?

These are MII 16x DVD-R btw.