Another NEC DVD±R read problem

Something strange is definitely happening with NEC drives.

Mine 4550A all of a sudden stopped reading discs itself burned. I can read it immediately after burning it, but once I remove it from the tray, I can’t read it anymore. It reads discs burned in my other DVD-RW drive (I have a LiteOn 832s in external 5.25 enclosure), and that is the strangest part.

Furthermore, when I connect it to a USB (same enclosure), it works flawlessly.

A friend of mine just bought a 4570 drive (two days ago), and has the same problem. Burns a DVD+RW without a problem, he can use it in a home DVD player, but he can’t open it in his DVD-RW.

It is obviously a software incompatibility – I just can’t figure out what’s causing it. I have Alcohol 120% installed, but my friend doesn’t. I use NVIDIA IDE drivers (NF4 motherboard), and he uses Microsoft default drivers (Intel 815 chipset).

Here are the Nero CD-DVD Speed scans of the same disc:

The first one is from NEC 4550A, and the second is from Sony DVD Rom (flashed with Dell Firmware). It is a Verbatim MCC 03RG20.

The third is a disc I burned yesterday with LiteOn 832s, and it reads without a problem in NEC.

I flashed NEC with new firmware after the problem occurred, so that’s not what’s causing it.

As I see, at least 10 topics started in the last few days are about similar problems with various NEC drives.