Another generic-xvid question

vbimport

I can’t find the answer to this on-line & don’t have a suitable test pc:

if I make a video file using generic xvid and transfer the output file - say via a memory stick - - will that file play OK on a new straight out of the box XP / vista PC, or will that PC need a video codec download & install.

if it needs a codec, will WMP go find one automatically or is a level of computer geekness needed to get things working , both in media player & within the media center interface.?

If you use generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy, you will most probably need to download and install FFDShow & AC3 Filter which are free and easy to install. Just use the defaults.

Another option is VLC player which contains all the codecs internally.

I know that this works fine with XP but as I currently refuse to go to Vista, I cannot commenton that.

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2032417]If you use generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy, you will most probably need to download and install FFDShow & AC3 Filter which are free and easy to install. Just use the defaults.

Another option is VLC player which contains all the codecs internally.

I know that this works fine with XP but as I currently refuse to go to Vista, I cannot commenton that.[/QUOTE]

thanks - is an alternative to download from xvid.org - I already have the codec on this PC but I can’t recall how itgot there!

ac3 filer is an audio codec - yes ? I diid not think of needing that also but I can see how that might be the case.

Is there a sinlge, safe one stop package that will include everying needed for the generic xvid+ audiocopy option. ( I’m wary because I read bad things about codec packs so I’m unsure what to recommend to other people )

i don’t suppose the30 day trial version of fab platinum installs all thiscodec stuff & then leaves it there- or does it ? - that would be a good option to recommend if it were so.

I just tried an AVI on a clean install of XP SP2 to see what happens when trying to play an xVid encoded AVI. The install had WMP 11 installed and when I tried to open the AVI it told me that it had to get a codec for the AVI. It did down load one but the only thing that played was the audio, it did not play the video at all. So I would say that the best thing to recommed to people would be for them to download VLC to play the AVI properly. It is free and has the correct codecs built in. As for DVDFab I don’t believe that it actually installs the codec as a seperate install, I think that they are actually compiled in to the program and would not support playing the AVI in another application.

Yep. You are correct…

Both DVDFab and VLC do not install codecs. Thet are contained internally.

If you installl FFDShow & AC3 Filter, you should not need anything else to play the files with WMP11 and they are both well reputed codec.

Just be careful where you download them from.

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2032603]Yep. You are correct…

Both DVDFab and VLC do not install codecs. Thet are contained internally.

If you installl FFDShow & AC3 Filter, you should not need anything else to play the files with WMP11 and they are both well reputed codec.

Just be careful where you download them from.[/QUOTE]

thanks I assume that going to what looks like the official web site in each case is best i.e.

http://ac3filter.net/

I just tried vlc player - looks good and looks easier to configure than zoom player. I didn’t realise until now that vlc also does slow motion.

zoom player is pretty good for .avi but is not great with .vob files ( when compared with powerdvd)