Another firmware flash question

Can I flash the same firmware over what has been flashed before. Lite On 5238s had 4s07 I flashed to 4s09 and now have a problem of unrecognised drive. Worked after flash for 2 months. Cables,ide secondary drivers, re-installed aspi.removed and reinstalled cdrw burner…what else could it be. Is it safe to flash over same firmware is my question. The only thing I can do in communication with the burner is open the drawer from my computer/compact disk D. Doesn’t see disk-insert disk! just blinks on disk insertion, no spin up. A blank disk will spin up but 3 different burn programs cannot see the cdrw writer.

[QUOTE=Zappaboss;1932981]Can I flash the same firmware over what has been flashed before. Lite On 5238s had 4s07 I flashed to 4s09 and now have a problem of unrecognised drive. Worked after flash for 2 months. Cables,ide secondary drivers, re-installed aspi.removed and reinstalled cdrw burner…what else could it be. Is it safe to flash over same firmware is my question. The only thing I can do in communication with the burner is open the drawer from my computer/compact disk D. Doesn’t see disk-insert disk! just blinks on disk insertion, no spin up. A blank disk will spin up but 3 different burn programs cannot see the cdrw writer.[/QUOTE]

When you flashed the firmware update from liteon where you doing anything besides flashing??? Also it might not let you downgrade the firmware if your using liteon flash utility but there are program if you look in the liteon forum that should allow you to flash back to the previous firmware…but all in all usually the update should be working … if it failed I would give them a email or call to liteon tech support if all fails they should be able to give you a new unit if it is under warranty and they test your unit and their flash firmware failed on your unit. Also you have to make sure the firmware from liteon matches up with your unit itself to properly flash. Is your drive still under warranty???

[QUOTE=Zappaboss;1932981]Can I flash the same firmware over what has been flashed before. Lite On 5238s had 4s07 I flashed to 4s09 and now have a problem of unrecognised drive. Worked after flash for 2 months. Cables,ide secondary drivers, re-installed aspi.removed and reinstalled cdrw burner…what else could it be. Is it safe to flash over same firmware is my question. The only thing I can do in communication with the burner is open the drawer from my computer/compact disk D. Doesn’t see disk-insert disk! just blinks on disk insertion, no spin up. A blank disk will spin up but 3 different burn programs cannot see the cdrw writer.[/QUOTE]

If it worked perfectly fine for 2 months after the flash, I’d have said the flash was successful.

Edit: Since in your other thread, you mention your CD-ROM drive also having a problem, that would be an amazing coincidence for both drives to “fail” at the same time.

Is it all types of CD that are “unrecognised”? In other words, does it have problem reading discs with audio/data on too?

Flashing firmware cannot solve such problems.

I suggest to clean the drive instead!

So, You believe that cleaning the drive may solve the fact that burning programs cannot see the drive? Hmmm,Guess I’ve kinda exhausted all I can think of. Yeah, both drives at once aren’t recognised, strange.The cdrom was rarely used and is old 36x. Lite On was purchaced at a flea market sealed in box, no warranty. It worked fine after flash to 4s09 from 4s07 and I got the firmware from Lite On. Why flash back but if you say you cannot flash over I’ll take your word for it. Wish I had another machine to try it in. Whats a good way to clean a cdrw-probably a disc that cleans it. I only made 7 burns with it.

Yo-

Strongly Suggest NOT using a cleaning disc - use compressed airin and around open tray - too big a chance that the cleaning disc will swarm your laser-eh!!

Had an LH-20A1S that I flashed back & forth at least half a dozen times with the utility & never had a problem, but I am not saying that’s going to solve your problem, this is for information only.

perhaps a reboot one unit at a time can help isolate problem? Let us know… STEVE

Well, here’s where I am at now. On reading EXTENSIVE different post on your site regarding CDrom and CDRW not recognised and on Tech Support forum I have tried just about all I have read. Today I removed both units cdrom-cdrw from device manager, also removed secondary ide controller [dual fifo] shut down computer and removed physically both drives from computer. Removed secondary ide cable from computer. Was time to blow of boards [ I have cat and dog, you know the rest] and cleaned connector cable ends with rubbing alcohol and q-tip, pins on mother board and on cdrom and cdrw-even removed jumper blocks for master- slave- cable select. Reconnected ide cable,set cdrw as master,cdrom as slave. Fired up computer and went to set up [bios] Ide’s set to auto-was already there, both units recognised in bios. Found nothing abnormal in bios and booted up. Device manager shows both units Intel 82371ab\eb pci busmaster ide controller shows working properly no conflicts, settings Dual ide channels -default setting. Resourses show inteupts for 14 and 15-primary ide is 14 secondary is 15-. Primary and secondary say working properly and show correct interrupt numbers-no conflicts.
AGAIN I put Nero disc in cdrw-unit blinks 20 times does not spin up and in my computer d drive -click on compact disk d says insert disk-tried music disk-same results. Put in blank disk+unit spins up to mach 1 and revs a few times. Fired up SmartBurn by Nero to read disc+does not see drive and is not in drop down window. Remember Nero 6 is no longer on my computer if that makes a difference. Smartburn is a standalone viewer for disc info. So much for cdrw.
Cdrom. Inserted Nero 6 disk [came with Lite on 5238s] It spun up and going to My Computer e drive icon shows ne65xx or some nero number-click properties it shows all disk is used and mb info etc. Click explore and can see disk folders etc.
Click on setup .exe.-in program folder=ERROR e:\install.exe is not a valid windows application. Closed folder went to My computer tried clicking on e compact disk /w nero info on icon= same error e\install.exe is not a valid windows application. By the way Prior to reinstalling drive unites etc…did an avg full system scan-went online and did a trendmicro scan{3 hours for online scan,what a joke-half hour for avg] shows no threats. Scan disk and defragged computer then reinstalled the drives.
Where to now St. Peter…Thanks all for reading this diatribe, Sincerely Zappaboss

Try http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_missing_cd_or_dvd_drive.htm