Another earthquake in Emilia Romagna

vbimport

This is the second consecutive earthquake and again it was so strong that I felt it too :eek:

I can only imagine how bad is this, because I only saw the monitor trembling on my desk, but people living there was certainly scared as hell :frowning:

Some people died and some are still dispersed (there are not yet information about exact number of missing persons).

A lot of historical buildings are destroyed but the worst part is that thousand of people can’t go bask at their houses because is too risky :sad:

If the mild trembling I experienced was scaring me so much, I can’t imagine how is living in Japan. Take a look here. BE ADVISED: not for faint hearts :eek:

I wouldn’t like to live in an old building in an earthquake zone. Italy has so many historic buildings it would be impossible to bring them all up to modern standards, and a huge task to survey them all properly for damage after each event.

Every aftershock must be terrifying. I think they said on the news there have been least 150 fatalities. :frowning:

A while back I experienced a minor earthquake in southern Spain while staying in a very badly built old house. Not a newsworthy event, but strong enough to rattle the tiles on the roof (even though they were cemented in place). My first thought was to get outside, then I remembered that the most shoddily built part of the house was the large verandah and I would be much safer indoors. (The supporting pillars are made from concrete drain pipes!)

Looks like whoever wrote that earlier news report confused the number of casualties with the number of fatalities, the latest figure is 16 confirmed deaths. Still too many. :frowning:

Anomalies relating to the ionosphere (seismo-ionospheric coupling) have been observed in advance of some earthquakes, including the one in Japan last year. If this can be better understood it might be possible to predict earthquakes about an hour before the event.

Today another victim was found under rubble :frowning:

According to geologists the second earthquake was not aftershock, but a separate earthquake with a separate epicenter :doh:

Where abouts in Italy are you?

I live near Pisa, in Tuscany :slight_smile:

Sounds nice (apart from the ants). :iagree:

In the places where the earthquake hit there were some big producers of the finest Italian products, like Parmigiano Reggiano, Parma ham, tortellini and so on.

The production is almost completely destroyed, and people is scared to go back in work places because the most recent deaths were caused by the crash of warehouses when engineers were checking the amount of damage of buildings when the second earthquake hit the region :doh:

Situation is not good there :sad:

If the land will not stabilize anytime soon, I mean geologically, living in that region will be a nightmare :frowning:

From here it doesn’t look as bad as the 2009 Abruzzo earthquake. But I suppose nothern Italy is more densely populated?

Unfortunately the risk of earthquakes is something that people will have to continue to live with. For the past ~100 million years the African tectonic plate has been moving north-east colliding with the Eurasian plate, and it will continue to do so for the forseeable future. :frowning:

It is difficult to make comparisons: every situation is different.

The earthquake in Abruzzo was strong but the geological composition of territory was very different compared to Emilia. Moreover, the amount of old buildings in Emilia was higher, so more damaged monuments there :doh:

Some time ago I read a Ken Follet’s novel, the hammer of Eden. There the author made a very interesting statement, but I have no idea if is a totally dumb fantasy or if there is something true.

The most violent earthquake are caused by the huge amount of energy accumulated by tectonic plate movements because friction doesn’t allow the free movement. So, when energy is high enough to overwhelm friction, there is a sudden sliding of plates, and this cause earthquakes.

In the novel, it is speculated that causing small and controlled explosions underground can cause slight movements of plates, avoiding the accumulation of a too high energy, and then causing small but controlled earthquakes that cause only small damaged.

To better give an idea of this principle, in the novel is reported an example. If you put a brick over an inclined plane, the friction prevents the brick to fall down, but if you slightly hit the inclined plane with a hammer, the friction is slightly reduced and the brick can slide down slowly and in controlled way.

As I said, I have no idea if it is only a fantasy, but the principle seems interesting. I wonder if is really possible to prevent big earthquakes in this way :eek: