Another DVD-burner advise thread....keep the old one?

vbimport

Hi there,

I know you are all sick of these threads and I really tried to read a lot but somehow no thread/TopTenList really answered my question like I wished it to be answered, maybe my english is too bad…I don’t know.

Yes I’ve seen http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=767 and I recommend it to everyone with a similar question. Another overview could be find at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/top-5-o...choice-249785/

Also it seems that everyone has different experience with the same drives.

Well to come to my question:
Right now I have a “NEC DVD RW NW1300A” As I can remember this drive was back then one of the finest drives when it comes to backup copies.

I’m really happy with this drive, it is just “a little” slow and well it has problems with scratched DVDs. My NEC never had problems with reading media, but for about one year, problems with reading scratched DVD’s seem to increase. Probably due to my little ofen called Barebone, wich had about 20 emergency-over-heat-shut-downs in the last two years. I guess my NEC didn’t like that temperature and since I’m gonna get a new PC (MB = Asus P5Q Pro) it might be time to change.

Which drive would you recommend and why?
My Do’s:

1. I mostly burn movie dvd’s, since I live at two places and don’t like to carry dvd arround every time. Sometimes a music or picture DVD/CD.

My wants:

1. Should read scratched DVD’s
  2. Should not burn any errors in the movie like blocks or anything similar
  3. Lightscribe (cause its a really nice gimmick sometimes)
  4. Quiet if possible, no necisserily need
  5. faster than my NEC :wink:
  6. No need for HD or BlueRay right now.
  7. Shouldn’t be too expensive
  8. I’d like to be able to still watch my picture DVD and stuff in 10 years.
  9. SATA would be nice but the other points are more important to me.

My favourite:

1. LG GSA-H55L
    it seems to have what I searched for, but I’m not quiet sure and while reading through this forum LG isn’t very popular.

My Lists:

List1

List2

List3
[[values][]=38&filter[brand][values][]=14&filter[brand][values][]=17&filter[brand][values][]=19&filter[brand][values][]=20&filter[brand][values][]=22&filter[brand][values][]=23&filter[brand][values][]=32&start=40"]List4](http://www.cdfreaks.com/hardware/category/2-PC-burners-_-players/4-DVD/17-DVDplusmnR-Burner/?filter[brand)

I’m really looking forward to some advise from you cause I’m a little clueless right now

Greetz

Hi and Welcome![quote=Árvakur;2156689]
I know you are all sick of these threads and I really tried to read a lot but somehow no thread/TopTenList really answered my question like I wished it to be answered, maybe my english is too bad…I don’t know.[/quote]Those “Top Ten” lists can’t be trusted at all.
The fastest drive is the winner there :Z. If a drive slows down to maintain quality on certain media, then it gets a bad rating.
I’d definitely go for Sata with Intel based motherboards. The add-on P-ATA controllers don’t support P-ATA optical drives well.
I’d go for a LG GH20LS or a Samsung 203 series drive. NEC 7201S is another option.

Michael

Hi,

and thanks for your quick answer.

1. Is ist important that it is an 20[B]3[/B] or will a 20[B]2[/B] be equal to it?
    …figured that one out…203 is SATA 202 is IDE

2. Would you prefer a LG 20 over the 22 and why?

3. What about Samsung 223series?

4. Is there anything I have to care of when buying…like any letter at the end of a model name which shows me not to buy this version or anything like it?

5. Can one of these options be called the better “reader”? or the better option for scratched DVD-movie-backup copies?

A lot of questions, but if they are answered, I know which one I’ll buy :slight_smile:

I’d be glad to here from you.
Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate the time you spend in these forums and the fact, that you share your knowledge in a professional and understandable way that won’t be found in the most stores or at official supports.

[QUOTE=Árvakur;2156976]?

1. Is there anything I have to care of when buying…like any letter at the end of a model name which shows me not to buy this version or anything like it?
    [/QUOTE]

What I mean is, that LG drives seem to have different numbers at the end e.g. LG Electronics GH20LS[B]30[/B] or [B]15[/B] Samsung drives have characters like [B]F[/B] or [B]Q[/B]. Which one ist good or what should be preferred or denied?

Hi,[quote=Árvakur;2156976]
2) Would you prefer a LG 20 over the 22 and why?[/quote]The Panasonic chipset of the 22x drives is not very high rated here. You might have a look into the LG burners forum, please.

1. What about Samsung 223series?
    These don’t deserve a recommendation at the moment. Especially the CD media support is poor.
  1. Is there anything I have to care of when buying…like any letter at the end of a model name which shows me not to buy this version or anything like it?
    I am not very familiar with the new LG numbering scheme, unfortunately. You might check the LG forum for more information please.
    For Samsung drives, the final letter describes the model.
    1st gen 20x Sata drives: 203B or 203N (N with Lightscribe)
    2nd gen 20x Sata drives: 203D or 203P (P with Lightscribe)
    There are some more letters mentioned in the shops (something like BEBN), but this only describes the packaging (like “bulk”, “black”, “no software” or similar)
    Many users consider the 203B (and N) as the best, but there are not many 203D/P users here.
  1. Can one of these options be called the better “reader”? or the better option for scratched DVD-movie-backup copies?
    The Samungs are known as good readers, but the LG isn’t bad either.

A lot of questions, but if they are answered, I know which one I’ll buy :slight_smile:
Nec 7201S is not an option? Admitted, their reading capabilities are not as good as the Samsung’s.

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate the time you spend in these forums and the fact, that you share your knowledge in a professional and understandable way that won’t be found in the most stores or at official supports.
You are very Welcome :slight_smile:

Michael

For me, it’s not an option to keep the old one, Asus 1608P3S. The Cd writing/reading part is gone. I was thinking at [B]Liteon iHAS322[/B].

I don’t like the CD performance of Liteon drives. Maybe a Pioneer is the better choice.