Another bunch of patched firmwares

vbimport

I have been busy during the last days modifying Binflash and patching some new firmwares. Binflash was released last night. The update mainly allowed the flashing of LiteOn OEM drives based on the Optiarc AD-7240S/AD-7241S series and now I can finally announce the release of several patched firmwares – including those for the LiteOn drives. The following firmwares have been added:

[ul]
[li]NEC ND-3550A firmware 1.G6[/li][li]Optiarc AD-5170A firmwares 1.G6, 1.G7 and 1.Gq[/li][li]Optiarc AD-5200S firmware 1.G0[/li][li]Optiarc AD-5240S firmware 1.03[/li][li]Optiarc AD-5540A firmware 2.62[/li][li]Sony AW-G170A firmware 1.74[/li][li]Plextor PX-820A firmware 1.00[/li][li]Optiarc AD-7240S firmware 1.03[/li][li]Sony DRU-870S firmware 1.61[/li][li]LiteOn DH24AYS firmwares BP5X and BP5Y[/li][li]LiteOn DH24AYL firmwares ZP5W, ZP5X and ZP5Y[/li][li]LiteOn iHAS124Y firmwares BL0V and BL0X[/li][li]LiteOn iHAS224Y firmwares ZL0W, ZL0X and ZL0Y[/li][li]LiteOn iHAS324Y firmwares BL1W, BL1X and BL1Y[/li][li]LiteOn iHAS424Y firmwares ZL1U, ZL1V and ZL1W[/li][li]Optiarc AD-7241S firmware 1.03[/li][li]Sony DRU-875S firmware 1.61[/li][li]Optiarc AD-7243S firmwares 1.02 and 1.03[/li][li]Sony DRX-S70U firmware 1.D4 and 1.D6[/li][li]Optiarc AD-7590A firmware 1.41[/li][li]Optiarc AD-7590S firmware 1.FM and 1.J0[/li][li]Optiarc AD-7700S firmware 1.03[/li][/ul]
For the AD-7590A firmware 1.41 no bitsetting patch was possible, so only Riplock, RPC1 and Auto-Reset patches are available. All other firmwares have bitsetting, RPC1, auto-reset and – if required – riplock patches.

Thank-you once again for your efforts. It is always fun to flash to a new firmware

Thanks!

OMG!!! :eek: That’s a lot of firmwares and a lot of work!!! Thanks Liggy, that’s trully an amazing job! :flower::flower::flower:

Xmas has come early this year :wink:

Woozah! :clap:

It’s interesting to note that the firmware for the 7200S is still being updated, but not for the 7200A.

It would be nice to see a burning shootout between the 7200S and 7240S.

Thanks Liggy, looking forward to doing some flashing.
budzos

Liggy,
Many thanks for the tremendous amount of work that you obviously have put into your new NEC/Optiarc firmwares.

I downloaded necflash_wingui.zip. I unzipped it and ran it. I dumped the firmware from my burner. Everything worked well and went smoothly.

BUT, please help me with a little problem. I downloaded
ihas124y_bl0xbt_auto.zip and ihas124y_bl0xbt_rpc1.zip, but when I tried to unzip them I got a “ihas124y_bl0xbt_rpc1.zip: Unexpected end of
archive” error message. I found the same error with
ihas124y_bl0xbt_auto.zip.

Seeing as how I unzipped necflash_wingui.zip without trouble I don’t think that my software is at fault here. What can I do to gain access to these two files?

Thanks again for the humongous amount of work that you’ve put into this project (and countless others).

pilgrim

Hey Liggy, I can’t seem to find this firmware on your list to download for the Optiarc AD-7200S firmware 1.G0
Is it a typo or am I blind.
Thanks, budzos

Liggy, :bow:

Please ignore my earlier whining post :o (except for the expressions of gratitude). I downloaded the two files again, and they unzipped (and zipped into my new iHAS124Y) smooth as silk.

Thanks again,

pilgrim

[QUOTE=budzos;2476422]Hey Liggy, I can’t seem to find this firmware on your list to download for the Optiarc AD-7200S firmware 1.G0
Is it a typo or am I blind.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it’s a typo, because I don’t see that firmware on the official site. It’s still at 1.0A.

It indeed was a typo. The 1.G0 firmware was for the 5200S - not the 7200S. However the 1.G* firmwares are usually made only for some duplicator drives and before the 5200S series, you couldn’t even flash them to a regular drive due to different bootcodes.

@Pilgrim
Thanks for notifying me that it worked. I probably would have searched a while without finding out what’s wrong :slight_smile:

can I ask a question
which one of all this liteon equal to Nec AD-7240s
LiteOn DH24AYS
LiteOn DH24AYL
LiteOn iHAS124Y
LiteOn iHAS224Y
LiteOn iHAS324Y
LiteOn iHAS424Y
and what is the ability to do cross flashing of any liteon firmware to the Nec AD-7240s
and there is any benefet of this

[QUOTE=hema mill;2476596]can I ask a question
which one of all this liteon equal to Nec AD-7240s
LiteOn DH24AYS
LiteOn DH24AYL
LiteOn iHAS124Y
LiteOn iHAS224Y
LiteOn iHAS324Y
LiteOn iHAS424Y
and what is the ability to do cross flashing of any liteon firmware to the Nec AD-7240s
and there is any benefet of this[/QUOTE]
The ones marked in bold are rebadged AD-7240S drives while the others are AD-7241S. However you won’t be able to crossflash between any of them, because they all have slightly different bootcodes and the main firmware contains a checksum of that bootcode which must match. In order to “crossflash” between these firmwares (which actually works), you’d have to exchange 4 Bytes somewhere in the beginning of the file. No idea if there’s any benefit to it at all - I’d say no.

:sad:# Sony DRU-875S firmware 1.61 not use

So, none of the Lite-On Y series drives can be flashed into their Optiarc equivalents? The bootcodes are all different, and none has an exact match with it’s Optiarc sibling? That’s disappointing. I though that at the least, the iHAS324 Y would be a direct match for the AD-7240S.

Also, the iHAS124Y, DH-24AYS, and iHAS324Y are really all the same hardware as the AD-7240S, except for the bootcode? Nothing different other than that one thing? That’s hilarious how they took one drive and artificially made it into three.

So basically, you don’t really want to buy one of these Lite-On Y drives, not because they aren’t good drives, but because there is always the lurking danger that at some point, firmware updates will stop for that line, while the original Sony/Optiarc drives continue to get support. We’ve seen that happen time and time again with rebadges, but normally, cross-flashing solves the problem.

[QUOTE=v2612;2476624]:sad:# Sony DRU-875S firmware 1.61 not use[/QUOTE]
What do you want to tell me exactly?

[QUOTE=negritude;2476629]So, none of the Lite-On Y series drives can be flashed into their Optiarc equivalents? The bootcodes are all different, and none has an exact match with it’s Optiarc sibling? That’s disappointing. I though that at the least, the iHAS324 Y would be a direct match for the AD-7240S.[/QUOTE]
They are all direct matches. The only differerence is the identification string of the drive’s bootcode. If you’re brave enough, you can manually edit Byte 0x0c to 0x0f (0x0 is the first Byte in that case) with a hex editor to make it match the values of your current firmware. But that’s all on your own risk. If you brick your drive that way -> bad luck - get yourself a new one.

Also, the iHAS124Y, DH-24AYS, and iHAS324Y are really all the same hardware as the AD-7240S, except for the bootcode? Nothing different other than that one thing? That’s hilarious how they took one drive and artificially made it into three.

I guess that’s just LiteOn who want to have the drive identify as ATAPI iHAS124 or whatever instead of Optiarc AD-7240S

The message says that you’re trying to flash an AD-7241S firmware (the DRU-875S is just a rebadge) to an AD-7240S drive. Since Binflash clearly indicates that you’re trying to flash a DRU-875S this is clearly wrong.

But I also notice the FFFF in the identified drive line. This indicates that something went wrong in the drivetype detection. Could you please try to create an identification file with the commandline version of Binflash. Something tells me that there will be a line containing stars but no 7241 text.

I’ve updated my iHAS424Y with the bitsetting RPC1 ZL1W, but I noticed something strange. When using ASPI DiscInfo reports the drive is RPC1, but when using SPTI, although it says n/a for the counters, for some strange reason DiscInfo reports “Lock detected” … I haven’t seen this sort of behaviour before … is this normal? DVDInfoPro reports the drive is RPC1.

I’ve also updated my AD-7240S with the bitsetting RPC1 1.03 firmware. This time around all tools report that the drive is still RPC2.

The bitsetting part of the patch works perfectly fine for both drives.

i was wondering what was happening as it’s been almost a couple months since i last heard from you about firmware for the 7240s. all i knew was that it was being made but i was starting to wonder if it was canceled or something. but apparently it was due to many versions of other drives you where making to :wink: (i am not complaining, as i would rather wait for a ‘quality’ release instead of rush it and have it be half @$$ed :wink: )

Thanks for the great work as it’s nice to have Bitsetting and a nice bonus of RPC1 (i.e. Region Free) (not that i actually need DVD-ROM on a DVD+R disc but i figure it’s generally a good idea to have DVD-ROM for the bit setting in case you get a picky drive :wink: )

i just updated a few moments ago. everything went smoothly (i backed up my current firmware prior to flashing the new one just in case). but i am curious does anyone know what was added from v1.02 to v1.03 on the 7240S drive? … and does the 7240s drives ‘learn’ media like Liteon etc does?

p.s. i been using your v1.02 since i got my drive (which was roughly 2-3 months ago) and it’s been working great ever since then.